Camera Hop Options on a budget

Jeff Babb

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's true, grandma's wisdom- you get what you pay for. However for the cost of the AT system you'd be better off with Sennheiser G2 or G3s.- tried and tested units for wireless on a budget. I used to use them before I invested in a Zaxcom hop and they were adequate for many shoots so long as I didn't push the range. I believe there is a Sony unit that would also outperform the AT system for about the same price as a G3, but I haven't used it so I couldn't comment.

If you are paying retail, sure, they are not so great.

The range might not be as strong as a Comtek, but for microphone use, the headroom is just fine for my uses so far. Do they click when changing antennas? Not that I've heard, at least on mine. The range is somewhat better with 1/2 wave antennas, but if you can be within 50 feet of your actor working from a bag or even closer while booming too... Range isn't your problem if you are having wireless hits.

As for the build quality - The RX are probably built TOO well, metal cases and solid construction for something that will be shrouded in a sound mixer's bag or in a metal BEC box on a camera. The Tx are plastic body, but still fairly robust. Are you looking for an RX that can survive skydiving onto concrete without an actor or a parachute?

I would suggest... You take better care of your equipment. These will easily survive with anything that your actor will also survive.

I looked very carefully at these, and concluded that if I was buying new that 2 G2 systems were a better bet all around (incl resale). I really didn't like the size and the powering of the AT RX--the beauty of the G2s is that you can almost go all day on 2 Alk AAs each, and the two little RX can be rigged in more weird ways called for by ever more strange cameras (I should say that I very rarely work with full-size "ENG" type cameras anymore, like that have capacity for RX mounting plates and external power taps). In my comps the G2s were a little quieter, although both fail the "key test". If you have a line on some ATs used at a good price I'd think more carefully about them, but there are always deals on G2/3s on Ebay etc etc--there are just so many of them out there.

phil p

What exactly is the "key test" you mention? That is a new one on me.

As for camera mounting options, if they show up with a large enough camera (I agree about smaller cameras being a problem, but for me, they aren't even ASKING for a hop on those)... I like using the new 3M Command picture hanger adhesive strips with hard velcro already attached. Adheres GREAT to camera bodies, and no damage at all when you remove it by pulling the tab just like on a wall.

For the projects where they are shooting "reality style" with a 5D or a 7D... Those haven't been terribly consistent on using even a dumb slate, OR asking me for timecode or a display they can aim at. I pity their poor editors.

What exactly is the "key test" you mention? That is a new one on me.

From the Lectrosonics FAQ:

#034 - What is the Dreaded Key Test?

This simple test reveals how well a wireless mic system can handle high frequency audio transients and, in fact, the quality of the entire audio processing chain in the system. Set up the wireless system with a pair of headphones or a sound system at a fairly high level without feedback. It is best to be able to listen to the audio output of the receiver away from the acoustic sound that the keys themselves generate. Set the input gain on the transmitter for a normal level with an average speaking voice.

A few more paragraphs here:

http://www.lectrosonics.com/faqdb/68-034-What-is-the-Dreaded-Key-Test/View-details.html

I do have a g2 that I use as a camera hop and I'm pretty happy with it but I'd like to provide stereo for those jobs where I have the tracks split. (Most of the time) I use a snake alot and it is a pain in the backside to do anything that requires moving around. So when production is using the camera tracks I need to ensure they are pretty darn good. Except for that dang budget thingy. G3s would be a good option and I could be satisfied with them. Is there a cold shoe mounting solution for two g3s?

So you guys dare to use camera hops without return? That to me is a bit scary, dropouts and all. I presume topic starter is not talking guide track but "real" audio hop.

I would use a hop without a return, but I'd want the op to be wearing cans in that case. Someone's gotta be making sure its being recorded properly.

Yeah? You trust a cam op to take care of your responsibility? Sure it can work, but to me it doesn't see right. Of course both benefit from the hop since you don't have the umbilical cord. But still, it's the sound ops responsibility.

Yeah? You trust a cam op to take care of your responsibility? Sure it can work, but to me it doesn't see right. Of course both benefit from the hop since you don't have the umbilical cord. But still, it's the sound ops responsibility.

No, I don't. But in the rare cases where I had to use a 1-way hop (no return) I had the camera op wear headphones to check there was audio coming I properly, and I recorded myself. I do not trust anyone to do my job, but having someone check it (even if it is a camera op) is better than nothing. This was an arrangement I had with an op I worked with for a while. Now when i do I have a return he still wears headphones anyway, because he likes to.

So you guys dare to use camera hops without return? That to me is a bit scary, dropouts and all. I presume topic starter is not talking guide track but "real" audio hop.

Correct.

I suppose you could mount two more G3s to get the stereo return. Now you're into about $3K. And an unhappy camera op. AND you don't know if the hit you just heard was on the send or the return.

Correct.

I suppose you could mount two more G3s to get the stereo return. Now you're into about $3K. And an unhappy camera op. AND you don't know if the hit you just heard was on the send or the return.

Correct on what?

You can go IFB Zaxcom return. Over 2.4 no dropouts just signal or not. Shouldn't be a problem when you in real close range of camera. Or get the Ricksonix solution, a couple of 100 dollars for TX en RX. And it's not just dropouts to be worried about of course.

I'd argue a 1 way hop (no return) is fine providing you are running a timecoded backup in your mixer bag (788 or 552).

Sure, backup is key then.

By the way I was talking about this Ricsonix thing:

http://www.ricsonix.com/audioReturnKit.html

is it the cam op job to monitor the hop and should a back up be recorded.? In the words of the senator "it depends"

These are those things that need to be decided ahead of time and when you negotiate the deal and hopefully not decided on the day :)

I think SR's are the best to go for main Audio to cam. G3 are the best budget hops. Great to have a few for scratch track or back up talent radios.

On the reality TV I've done so far, the camera op has been monitoring his own audio from my wireless hop - these were gigs where the network provided gear (and not always the right or enough gear) and I've had to have my audio quality critiqued by a camera driver.

Yeah, I'm not terribly thrilled about that either, but it was their show, and that was how they wanted to do it. I had a recorder in my bag on two recent shows, and on the other... I was the backup mixer with just a Wendt (yuk) and had the ONLY audio being sent to the camera while we were doing some in-car stuff. I was in the back seat, camera was in the front seat, talent was driving. I was nervous about that to say the least, but the camera guy (who has been working on this show in different cities with a different 2nd Audio Mixer each time) said that my mix that day was the best he has heard so far.

More of a problem with these wireless hops and reality TV... They aren't renting or asking for any timecode stuff! I don't know how the editor will feel about that, or if they are somehow using an on-camera audio (There have been 5D and 7D cams in the mix) to sync it up... But that is their deal, b/c again - They got the gear.

Personally, I view anything being sent to the camera, wireless or not, as a scratch track to link to my recorder in the bag... Unless there is absolutely no other option. Camera companies are concerned with making pretty pictures (as they should be) but audio is only an afterthought, if at all. I will approach the discussion with a show in that way, but if they are comfortable (or insistent) that their camera driver can adequately monitor the audio listening for wireless hits or crunchyness... Well, then that is their show, and I will do it that way to the best of MY skills.

If I am using my own rig like on this most recent project... The recorder is in my bag, and whether a scratch copy gets sent to the camera depends entirely on their camera. I know I have a good recording for them at the end of the day.