In between a cart mixer and a bag mixer is...

I'm mostly working out of my bag on documentaries, shorts and a few times a year a commercial. I noticed that some of the time it is nicer if my bag hangs on a manfrotto (today I ordered a manfrotto monitor stand to put my bag on).

Few things I experience; this way I'm able to control it and fully use it but don't carry the weight. I'm more flexible booming from one position. If needed I can mount another boom on the manfrotto to capture off camera dialoog. When building for the next scene it's really easy to move the manfrotto and have my own nice personal stand and space for sound. It's also handy for getting some space between transmitters and receivers in the bag (i put the transmitters high on the manfrotto and have excellent split). I can leave to pole extended to the length I need during the take and put it against the manfrotto (in a boomboy grip). It feels good to put the pole away in between takes and study the set for sound improvements or next steps without being al geared up.

How many of you do work in a similar way sometime? I'm interested in your setup and workflows.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found that scoring a C-stand from grip is a fine way to hang the sound bag. Otherwise, I think a small vertical cart that your bag can hang off would be pretty tidy, and would let you customize it to add clips for boom poles.

I hear that small carts are the gateway drug to big massive sound carts though.

How many of you do work in a similar way sometime? I'm interested in your setup and workflows.

Don't have one yet but you've given me a great idea. Since I already have a (somewhat) heavy-weight light stand with boom pole holder on top and removable casters on the legs, all it would take would be one of the Manfrotto platforms and a couple of Super Clamps (that I also have) and I'd have a compact, mobile system.

Thanks.

Ya, medical walkers do look appealing. Didn't we have a discussion about this last year? I'm fine with having it again, but iirc Phil Perkins was on the hunt for a small folding table/stand that he could set up and down with one hand.... shoot, can't find the thread with a quick search.

Phil, did you find anything that worked for you?

the rock 'n' roller cart can be built in two sizes long and compact- I have one, and in compact mode is great for ENG type interview shoots. the bottom shelf is useful for rolling in all your accessories even if you are running around on a harness you can at least roll your gear into a staging area. It collapses small enough to fit in the trunk of a car. Mine fits fine in my Impreza. Granted it's a little flimsy for a fully loaded feature setup, but I use it all the time for small shoots.

http://www.musicians...-deck-and-shelf

That's funny, because I know someone who has one of these they are trying to get rid of, and I have been thinking about using it for this purpose! I'm actually going to check it out on Monday and see if it would work for me.

At the risk of the obvious set jokes, I always thought that elderly walkers would be an ideal platform for a "rest my bag" type of mobile cart.

1542964_com_walker.jpg

At the risk of the obvious set jokes, I always thought that elderly walkers would be an ideal platform for a "rest my bag" type of mobile cart.

1542964_com_walker.jpg

You mean you're not already the butt of jokes on set? AFAIK, production sound has about the same on-set prestige as a drummer in a rock band.

I use my Pelican case -- it has wheels, a handle (which is great to lean the bag against)... and the bag just goes inside when I'm finished... not great for off-road stuff, but has otherwise been perfect for keeping the load off my shoulders and back, while maintaining mobility in a very compact form.

~tt

This discussion reminded me of the cart devised by my friend and colleague Gustavo Nascimento, a sound mixer from Sao Paulo, Brazil.

The frame was originally a child's wheelchair. It is definitely more "cart" than "bag," as pictured, but exemplifies a creative use of available materials.

post-894-0-47638000-1341598425.jpg

You mean you're not already the butt of jokes on set? AFAIK, production sound has about the same on-set prestige as a drummer in a rock band.

Since I was/am (not as seriously now) the drummer in a rock band, I guess its just one more skill set that helped ease my transition into working on set! The ability to be the butt of jokes is a valuable skill, then...

Since I was/am (not as seriously now) the drummer in a rock band, I guess its just one more skill set that helped ease my transition into working on set! The ability to be the butt of jokes is a valuable skill, then...

Funny how many of us drummer types have moved into film sound...

Jim G is correct. I have used a ...er...."Docucart" for about two years now. I have tricked it out with Cardellini, and mafer grips to hold various polls, stands, and bags. I have a "half size" wood wine box (currently Don Melchior) tied to the top with Cardellini and wing nuts. The whole contraption can be quickly assembled and then taken apart for transport. The mixer/recorder sits on top in the wine box,... first Domke bag with cables below it on the plastic shelf,... second Domke bag hanging off the handles filled with wireless and mikes, and a smaller Temba bag with various cables and NP1 lithiums hanging off handles just above the second Domke. A normal job is a three bagger plus mixer/recorder.

When I first started using the cart, it would tip over quite easily if you hit a crack in the pavement or went over some bump. So, I installed special shock-absorbing front wheel casters to ease the jolts. They are called "Froglegs" and are made in Otumwa Iowa by a company called Froglegs. They were expensive ($600), but they have made a huge difference when I'm flying along with gear piled on this rig. They are worth every dime.

Using this cart allows me to be completely self contained, yet, mobile enough to quickly change locations. Going up stairs? Take all the bags off, run them up the steps, and reassemble the cart. Many of the high-end law offices, corporate venues, and congressional offices that we film in Washington, D.C, do not enjoy a grubby film crew piling all our stuff on their expensive couches and antique conference tables. With this cart I can move around without damaging any of their "collectables" and still do my job. One of my colleagues (probably Jim G.) alluded to the fact that even though I am getting old (70), it will be less noticeable to producers because I am already using this cart to work. They won't notice when I "REALLY" need this cart because I'm already using it.

I'm still trying to refine the cart with cup holders and hangers. I am always looking for other classy, wood half-cases of good wines. But the really hard item to find is the "half wood case" for Petrus wine. Maybe, I just owe it to myself after years of road warrior work to go out and just buy a case of Petrus.

If I can find a computer savvy teenager to show me what to do, I'll post some pictures of the cart.

Ciao, Sully

Rob Stalder and his Rastorder company has a very nice small cart intended for bag mixers:

you%20and%20your%20mixer%20bag.jpg

I have a Rubbermaid rolling cart I use for light-duty projects where I'm stuck in a room and don't want (or need) to wear the bag all day long for a doco setup. I had to reinforce it here and there and do a little customizing, but it's actually held up surprisingly well. By an amusing coincidence, I caught the crew shooting the American TV entertainment news show Extra at The Grove a week or two ago, and was surprised to find the mixer on that show was using an identical set-up to what I came up with. Great minds think alike!

. If I can find a computer savvy teenager to show me what to do, I'll post some pictures of the cart. Ciao, Sully

While I'm not a teenager, I've offered to show you how. A nice lunch at the watering hole of your choosing would cement the deal.

I'll have a lot of time on my hands after the upcoming Friday the 13th. I'll call you and arrange a time.

With warm regards,

Jim

PS: Today (July 7) marks the day Mary Ford was born in 1928. Sully recorded the sound for John Paulson's excellent doc about Ms. Ford's collaborator Les Paul, Chasing Sound, which I highly recommend.