In between a cart mixer and a bag mixer is...

I bought a nice rolling "tool chest" type plastic box from the local Lowes hardware store. Works for the time being as a nice "table" for my bag when the box is closed. A few other nice features are that it fits all my extra stuff in it with a little room to spare, can hold the boom pole at about a 6 foot extension with no problems (easier to see than explain...I'll take pics next time I take it out) and has this nice little tray with compartments for tape, batteries, shockmounts, adapters and whatever. Bonus is that the handle on the tray is concave and serves as a perfect holder for my NTG-3 after I take it out of its case and before I mount it on the pole. Like I said, I'll take pics next time its out on a job...

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have an upright Magliner hand truck.

I keep a PSC Powerstation on the bottom as a counterbalance and power supply for the bag. The bag clips onto an old shoulder strap which lives on the handles. I wear the harness, and when I need to carry the bag, I simply unplug the power cable (transferring to bag power) and unclip the bag from the shoulder strap and clip it to the harness.

I don't do this sort of work very often, but it has worked very well for me. I do use the bag for insert car work, and just the other day I had to pull it out of the car for "drive-by" shots. Clipped it onto the upright magliner and I was ready to go, without having to carry!!

The grips on a film I worked on MANY years ago knocked together a wooden box for me that I added a baby receiver plate to. The box was sort of like a half-apple missing the top and one long side. It was made to just fit a Nagra with connectors sticking out of both sides (it was THAT long ago). Painted black it has proved very useful over the years rolling around on a low-boy junior stand (like what they put mole-fans on). I've also hoisted it WAY up in the air on a C stand on small one man jobs so I could self-boom over set walls etc. This rig really mostly served for one-man gigs on dramatic productions. For docs, I never have any time/place/opportunity to park the bag, so I try to make it as light as I can. If possible I have a Magliner w/ shelf casehauler nearby to work off for interviews and other wise to just have an operating table for wirelesses, laptop etc.. I never did find a one-hand foldup/down stand/cart thing that was robust and un-tippy enough for what we do.

phil p

I had a rig just like this years ago and did a lot of films with it. However, it was too scary-tippy for me to feel comfortable walking away from it, particularly when it was cabled to other things (like cameras, boom ops). I ended up adding a diver's weight belt to the bottom to stabilize it, which was kind of self-defeating of course....hence the "bird feeder" rig I described above.

phil p

I'm a total noob. But I've thought about cheap portable cart designs before. Portable being the big concern.

I came up with the idea of using a collapsible dolly, and a collapsible small dogs kennel (sideways).

Something along the lines of this:

http://www.safetyandmobility.com.au/ProductPopup.php?id=632

And a bit more heavy duty could be this, but it's a lot more expensive

http://www.safetyandmobility.com.au/ProductPopup.php?id=749

Use a kennel similar to one of these: I would prefer the one that is 30x19x22

http://www.nationalpetpharmacy.com/product/14211/Single-Door-Black-Metal-Wire-Economy-Dog-Crate?utm_source=nextag&utm_medium=cse

And my idea was, you have a large storage compartment, and then when you close the door you have something to put stuff on top of. Also I would probably cover it in some sort of waterproof material.

At the end of the day it can all fold up for easy storage in a small vehicle.

The cage could also be replaced by any ordinary bin that fits nicely.

Let me know if you guys like the idea, I may actually build it eventually.

My answer to this problem was to buy a small magliner sack trolly and fit a shelf to it. The bag is fastened on round the back with either a bungee or a camlock strap. The rig is ideal for when I have to use the bag in lightweight mode.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.post-233-0-18600000-1341739423.jpgpost-233-0-06831000-1341739493.jpg

I LOVE IT...Good job Malcolm

I had a rig just like this years ago and did a lot of films with it. However, it was too scary-tippy for me to feel comfortable walking away from it...

I've seen a Magliner anti-tip brace...sort of looked like a foldable stair-climber outrigger running horizontally and then down to the ground. That might solve (well, reduce) the tipping problem. That was on an actual delivery cart and I can't find it on Magliner's site right now (perhaps it was a different brand).

But Phil, if you're not using that cart to hold your bag, there is one other Magliner accessory that could make your cart much more useful (and popular) on set. The keg hook:

301121k_keghook.jpg

Malcolm, how did you solve The Tipping Point? Or is it not an issue for you?

I'm a total noob. But I've thought about cheap portable cart designs before. Portable being the big concern.

I came up with the idea of using a collapsible dolly, and a collapsible small dogs kennel (sideways).

Something along the lines of this:

http://www.safetyand...opup.php?id=632

I've had one of these and they pretty much suck. Waaay too collapsible, if you know what I mean.

Here's a couple things I found online which I find of interest because they are foldable and easily transported by plane. The wood one is interesting but probably too heavy and squeaky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hxpQrm4-u0

~ Commpost

This is how I roll my rig around. Storm iM2750. Holds most anything I need on any shoot plus extra. Roll in, unpack, lock it up, put the pack on it. Skate wheels on the back make it ok for most urban/suburban areas. Saves my neck and shoulders a whole bunch of wear and tear that's for sure!

IMG_20120708_194256.jpg

IMG_20120708_194447.jpg

IMG_20120708_194524.jpg

Rob Stalder and his Rastorder company has a very nice small cart intended for bag mixers:

you%20and%20your%20mixer%20bag.jpg

I have a Rubbermaid rolling cart I use for light-duty projects where I'm stuck in a room and don't want (or need) to wear the bag all day long for a doco setup. I had to reinforce it here and there and do a little customizing, but it's actually held up surprisingly well. By an amusing coincidence, I caught the crew shooting the American TV entertainment news show Extra at The Grove a week or two ago, and was surprised to find the mixer on that show was using an identical set-up to what I came up with. Great minds think alike!

Does that thing collapse?

I had a rig just like this years ago and did a lot of films with it. However, it was too scary-tippy for me to feel comfortable walking away from it, particularly when it was cabled to other things (like cameras, boom ops). I ended up adding a diver's weight belt to the bottom to stabilize it, which was kind of self-defeating of course....hence the "bird feeder" rig I described above.

phil p

Phil,

I have no stability issues whatsoever with this system and have used it on several movies where it was virtually impossible to use my main cart.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

The Stand-Mixer concept is still burning in my frequently sore neck. On gigs that I have my mic up on a stand, I end up staring down at my chest-hung rig all day to very painful results. At home I edit standing up, so I don't want to sit while on set, I want to devise/find/steal something much lighter than a cart, but still built solidly, and that allows me to STAND and look directly at my gear.

The Rastorder carts look amazing and it's obvious that their craftsmanship is superlative, but are priced out of my league. My current idea would look something like this:

http://www.ultracame...om/cstand.html#

And salt to taste.

This way I can wheel all my gear to set in one trip, it' got a slender footprint, stabilized for tipping issues, and upright and high for setting my gear on.

I should meet some welders who need their family stories recorded and would be interested in some in-kind trade...lol!

Best

This is how I roll my rig around. Storm iM2750. Holds most anything I need on any shoot plus extra. Roll in, unpack, lock it up, put the pack on it. Skate wheels on the back make it ok for most urban/suburban areas. Saves my neck and shoulders a whole bunch of wear and tear that's for sure!

IMG_20120708_194256.jpg

IMG_20120708_194447.jpg

IMG_20120708_194524.jpg

This is exactly what I do -- the great thing about it is you're not introducing any more gear -- you already have the case, just take the bag out and set it on top -- really small footprint, and you can clip in with the harness in seconds if need be. Thanks for posting pics -- I was going to, but I've been posting from my phone which doesn't easily allow that.

~tt

I've seen a Magliner anti-tip brace...sort of looked like a foldable stair-climber outrigger running horizontally and then down to the ground. That might solve (well, reduce) the tipping problem. That was on an actual delivery cart and I can't find it on Magliner's site right now (perhaps it was a different brand).

But Phil, if you're not using that cart to hold your bag, there is one other Magliner accessory that could make your cart much more useful (and popular) on set. The keg hook:

301121k_keghook.jpg

Jim, I think you're onto something.

We've all seen those camera AC's with huge plastic carts that are not magliners that ride on the trucks but aren't great when it comes to not-flat off-road locations. That same company makes other carts that work in 80% of locations that have flat surfaces:

for low-cost sound mixing carts for regular style 2-person dept. production or for in-the-bag style:

OPEN SIDED THREE SHELF UTILITY CART-BLACK-300 lbs total capacity, 100 lbs per shelf.

It is a busboy cart for restuarants.

Cart-Utility Cart, Three Shelf Open Sided-Black [4091BLA]

http://www.rubbermai...products_id=624

I bought a 2004 model and had to file down the black plastic for the aluminum poles to be able to be taken apart and put together otherwise it is a one-time build and doesn't come apart. Fine for studio but not good for location.

$125. cash on the Bowery from a restaurant supply company.

It sets up in 3 minutes and breaks down just as quick. I've affixed a PVC cap to hold the boom pole bottom and a rubber boom-pole holder for the side. Medium and large spring clamps on the top hold XLR & BNC cables.

I've used this cart for 2-person sound dept. shoots and also to just hold my mixer/recorder on a low budget commercial or promo shoot when I am booming myself. If it is a 2-3 day shoot the cart fits nicely on the truck and 2 Pelican 1600 cases fit on the lower shelves horizontally.

----------

alternatives for the rest of the sound dept. on wheels since we are talking about walkers and child wheelchairs:

To be honest this cart is too big for most locations but someone might find it of interest as a follow cart. No drawers or locking areas though...

Some DIY work would be necessary

$540.

Housekeeping Cart, Compact-Black [6190BLA]

http://www.rubbermai...products_id=391

this might be able to be repurposed though:

Janitor High Capacity Cleaning Cart-Black [9T72BLA] $222. some DIY work would be necessary.

http://www.rubbermai...products_id=635

alternative follow cart:

Fully enclosed, lockable storage compartment

Rubbermaid 6180-88 Trades Cart with Locking Cabinet

$475.

http://www.erubberma...th-locking-cabi net-includes-2-parts-boxes-and-4-parts-bins

Phil,

I have no stability issues whatsoever with this system and have used it on several movies where it was virtually impossible to use my main cart.

Malcolm Davies. A.m.p.s.

so how do you stabilize, w/ the weight of the gear up high on the frame? Counterweight? Battery? Accs case? I had a PSU down there for awhile that helped, but on ext locations if ate too much dust etc, as did anything I had down there.

Jim--I don't understand what that bracket does really. Or are you suggesting I use a beer keg as a counterweight?

The little Rastorder cart is very sweet.

I don't use my wooden box thing that much any more since bag rigs (post-Nagra) have gotten a lot lighter than they used to be....

phil p