Gloves for boom ops?

dfisk

http://www.apptrav.c...k-oven-mitt.jpg

Only when its really hot!

Well done. Score 1 for Chase.

I only wear gloves when its freezing cold out, in which case I am yet to find a pair of gloves that will serve my purposes: 1. Keep my hands warm 2. Grip enough to adjust boom pole easily (some gloves are cheap nylon and won't grip) 3. Small enough to allow me to use the knobs on my mixer / recorder.

If I find those gloves, I will pay whatever the cost. I just need warm hands. Cold hands hurt, hot hands just get sweaty.

I've become a big fan of these http://goo.gl/ndJc3. You can see them at Pep Boys and other auto parts shops. They've got a velcro strip that runs down the length of them so you can wrap it around any pole and it just slides smoothly when you're holding it with the leading hand (usually the left). Different ones are made with different material so you may have to do a little experimenting to find a nice quiet one. In fact, if you're curious, just make one out of a scrap piece of duvateen so you can play around with it to see how it feels. Make it so that it's maybe about 8 inches long, wrap it around the pole a few times but keep it nice and loose so it slides easily, and tape it. Add a little baby powder to the pole when needed. Your hands don't get hot but you've got this nice smooth-sliding grip on the pole that gives you some great flexibility while you're booming. Try it and let me know what you think.

I use the plain old brown cotton jersey work gloves. For me, they are thin enough to work the knobs and switches on my mixer and recorder, provide for quiet handling of the boom pole, and have the added benefit in these hot summer months of absorbing sweat from my hands as well as being capable of wiping sweat from my brow. Bonus is that I get them 2 pairs for a dollar at a local discount store. They must have a few truckloads, because I've been buying them at that price for over two years now...

In the winter time I used two pairs of gloves; a pair of merino wool liners under the skiing gloves that fold up like mittens on top of the fingers. Worked really well. I was never cold (even in -25 celsius) and I could easily fiddle with the knobs without taking the gloves off.

I've been using a pair of fingerless cycling gloves, sometimes don't bother. They do make long sessions with the boom seem a bit more comfy too. They are designed for hot weather, so don't heat up the hands. In the winter, well, it is Hawaii so... maybe don't put on as much sunscreen as I usually do.

I'm using this: http://www.praktiker.gr/Product/zeygari-gantia-plekta-amtech-me-epistrosi-nitriliou-14516?catNavId=26

Easy to operate knobs and we have nitrile coating. This coating does not slip on the boom.