Help! Im Drowning in wheeling n dealing

Guest Jeff Colon

Guest Jeff Colon

Hello All,

I am wondering if anyone would like to contribute or collaborate on what should be included in a deal memo specifically oriented toward the shorter format ENG, EFP type projects that are not under union jurisdiction. 

Seems every inquiry now wants to set my rate, tell me how much they pay for expendables... It's really getting stupid trying to just sell a quality sound job.  The BBC's memo states working as "Wet Hire" is expected in some conditions.  I've worked in a couple of rainstorms...when it gets to thundering I will not extend a boompole...where do you draw the line with that stuff ?

I doubt seriously that after our next president forgets his/her promises there will be some upsurge of pro-labor legislation...at least not in the "Banana Republic of Louisiana"... 

Seriously, if anyone knows of some good forms or would like to contribute, I would like to try and write a more "Modern" deal memo or contract form that what i'm currently seeing, if any!    I have started to demand a deal memo from first time clients and they sometimes act as if their being inconvenienced, no bigger smokesignal...  I think it shows credibility to come to terms before a job and not argue about the expectations or particulars during or after... from both parties.

I really need some help here...  I know it's a great thing to rant about...Labor Oy!  I am creating new curses as I think... if we could keep it to improvement, with nothing more than cynisim or sarcasim.  I'd sure appreciate it. feel free to send any ideas or hatemail:)  to me at the address below.

ThX

Jeff C.

Jeff at nolavox dot com

Hi Jeff,

Here In the UK (BBC land) 'wet' hire refers to when you hire gear to a company with a technician to operate it. So, dry hire is when you hire just the kit, and wet hire is when you hire the kit with the man.

Kindest regards,

Simon B

Thanks for the heads-up Simon,  that is good to know... I was getting a bit uneasy when some female (either male) producer asked me for an estimate...