Simon B and Stuart's new minirack/cart build

Bash

OK,

so this has been a long time in the coming, and I probably started drawing things out about 5 years or more ago, and never really got around to doing much about it, and my talented local engineer Stuart moved away and started a (now very large) family, and wasn't so interested in taking on large projects, and so on and so on....

Money was a factor - I didnt want to lay out a fortune on another cart - my Chinhda cart is brilliant, and I love it, and why would I want to change? My only criticism of my Chinhda cart is that sometimes it ends up so wide that I cant get it through doors etc....

I have a Fusion in the van - I use it as my bag kit, my low loader (process trailer) rig, and as a spare just in case of a problem with the Deva. I also have a Nomad which is now the ENG bag kit. I also have a Mix 8, which is currently little used.... and my mind started wandering....

However - I was having a conversation with Stuart recently, and we were talking about stuff, and the concept of building a minicart came up. 'Oh', said I, 'I've got a load of sketches and ideas for something like that - it'll be a really easy build and won't take you much time or effort. Are you up for it?'. Stuart was interested, and we started working out some ideas and he making drawings etc....

We are probably 4 months into this now, we speak regularly, I send ideas to Stuart like 'scriptholder' or whatever - and as often as not he replies to say something like 'I thought of that'....

We started with the idea of a mini rack that would sit on top of a Zuca bag. The rack has grown just slightly, but we are still buils=ding with the idea of the Zuca bag being a possible base for very nimble working. We are now, of course, already planning a Stuart built base, which the same minirack will mount onto.

Our aim was to build the minirack with the minimum of machining from Stuart, and hopefully no welding. I suggested the Zuca base, the T slot extrusion (this was what really got Stuart onboard), the polycarbonate shelving, and a few other ideas. Almost all of the rest has been Stuart's work, and it is brilliant work.

I commissioned Stuart to make 2 miniracks to start with, making 2 is less than twice the cost of making one, and I might be able to sell the second.

Stuart started machining about 4 or 5 weeks ago, and we ordered the T slot tubing pre cut to the correct lengths. A pile of components went off to the anodisers last week, and I expected to hear little frm Stuart for a few weeks. In fact - I got the enclosed photo from him yesterday, and thought I would now share this project with all who are interested on JWSound.

The photo shows the cart part assembled, but you can see that it will free stand on its own feet, or perch on top of the Zuca base. There will be 4 shelves, and on this frst one we are experimenting with fold down side flap shelves. My plan is to put radio mic Rx on the bottom shelf, the Mix 8 on 2nd, not sure what on the thrid, and the recorder hanging from the 4th. Monitors will mount on to of the top shelf.

We are working on a LiFE Po battery system that should fit just behind the radio mic Rx, and will include regulation to 12v. This batt will be circa 20AHr, and we are hoping that we can float charge whilst using the minirack.

There will be a distro strip vertically up the back, which will have some XLR IPs for boom mics, and some power distro for each shelf (4 pin HiRose). Stuart thinks he can get led lighting into spare bits of T slot, which should look dead cool (bling cart!!!).

We are also looking at a much bigger LifePo battery that will reside with its charger in the Zuca bag or our not yet designed base. This should be 40 or even 60AHr, and should run the rig for at least a couple of days.

Exciting times, and enjoy the pic!!

Kindest regards to all,

Simon B

post-346-0-26689400-1342274342.jpg

I see the picture and I LOVE IT! I am amazed that you have been working on this sort of cart. I bought a Zuca bag (identical) and have been playing around with the exact same concept, using the same 80/20 profiles I used for my main cart. I hadn't really gotten very far (certainly not to the stage that you have gotten yours) and was sort of thinking that the Zuca bag might not be the best idea. My attraction to the Zuca comes from a respect and appreciation for its wonderful design, build quality and functionality --- but it is not really a purpose built cart base by any means. Your photo has re-inspired me and I might revisit my designs when I am off this movie. I really do want a mini-cart and I know I will have to build it myself.

Thanks Jeff, coming from you that is praise indeed, I am so pleased that you approve.

Stuart managed to work out a way that the minirack will grab hold of the top of the Zuca bag, to make everything a bit more solid.

We have been talking about centre of gravity - clearly the minirack when loaded is going to make the whole thing a bit top heavy, so I envisage that the Zuca really will be for lightweight use only, and the not yet fully designed base will be a rather more substantial anchor to put the minirack on.

See the brackets that Stuart made in order to cantilever the shelves off the backbone. The T slot extrusion people didn't seem to make anything that would do this job so well, so Stuart designed and made these. These plates have been the key to being able to make the whole thing sturdy enough for our use.

For the bigger base we have discussed the idea of making something with a width of circa 19", in order that we can incorporate an amount of 19" rack 'U's. It will have big wheels at the back, but we are looking at quick release so that the whole thing can be packed into the trunk of an average car.

One of the things that got me thinking about this is that our kit is becoming so small, and yet so many of the carts I see in the gallery here are still so large (mind you - the whole of an average British fridge is about the size of the icebox in an American one!!). If I think back to my first cart (incidentally, built by Stuart in his younger days) that had an Audio Developments 6 into 2 mixer, a stereo TC DAT machine (PCM2000 was my first), and 2 x Audio Ltd RMS2000 radio mics. That cart could cope with 6 x sources, recorded to 2 tracks, and was nearly as big as my Chinhda cart. I am currently dealing with 10 sources recording to 10 trax, with 8 x radio mics etc.... and this of course is not a big setup.

I am intending to use a couple of Audio Ltd RK3 units on the minirack - that will give me 6 x radio mic IPs with ease. We have hopefully managed to design a piece of aluminium which will allow us to hang either a Nimad, or Dea, or Fusion, underneath the top shelf. We will also look at making something work for SD788/CL9 combo.

Incidentally, we have designed in a cutout on the top shelf, which will allow easy access to the IP sockets on the Nomad. This should make plugging/unplugging easier.

More news and pics soon I am sure.

Kindest regards to all,

sb

For anyone interested, I published a "History of Sound Carts" on my website awhile back. Actually, it is not a history of sound carts, it is a history of MY sound carts that I have built starting out in 1970.

HISTORY OF (Jeff Wexler's) SOUND CARTS

First cart, Cart No. 1, was built from a steel produce cart purchased from a company called Bonus Built. I changed the wheels, mounted a different top work surface which I covered with ribbed rubber matting and used oak wood trim as a surround. I also added some hooks for cables and one drawer under the top work surface. This cart was built around 1970 and I did most of the construction at my father’s commercial company, Dove Films on Seward Street in Hollywood.

post-1-0-15072700-1342301540.jpg

It will be a bit top heavy when on the Zuca bag, which is a very small footprint, hence we are currently designing a base unit, but the minirack will fit onto either. We have a number of ideas for the base unit, but it is likely to involve similar extrusion, quick release wheels, and 19" rack mountability, though we are trying to keep it as narrow as possible to aid door access.

This project has been such great fun - I am loving it so far. Why didn't I start this years ago!!!

Kindest regards,

Simon B

Wow, that is beautiful, especially the glass shelves.

I can't imagine the shelves are actually glass --- must be plexi-glass (or what they call in England perspex I believe) or is it a lexan material? Whatever it is, certainly a class look (though I don't know how practical).

Polycarbonate I believe. We had to buy an 8ft x 4ft sheet, so I have enough to make quite a few miniracks!!

I guess it will scratch, which will break my heart, in fact - its going to be quite hard to even put any equipment on it - it is looking so tidy and neat!!

Kindest regards,

Simon B

Do you have a method of securing it to the base (either your in-design unit or the zuca bag), or does it just sit on top? I picked up a Zuca bag a while ago and when Chindha came out with his compact cart made from 80/20 profiles I thought about doing something like this. Beautiful, inspiring work!

Edit: just read the 'will grab the zuca base' bit...a bit more info, if you would be so kind?

Hi Justin,

see the triangular plate on each side of the Zuca bag, that joins the rea verticals and the top horizontals. In each of those plates there is conveniently placed a small horizontal slot. Staurt has made a small mech that will grab hold of that slot on each side of the rack. We are intending to use the same mech to attatch the rack to the base, which we are still designing. It will merely need a slot in a similar place. Hopefuly we can use the same system for both bases.

The clever work is of course Stuart - I just throw ideas at him and a supply of cash ;-))

Kindest regards,

Simon B

Stuart and I have already talked about batches in colours for both anodising and polycarbonate!!!

We are looking at manufacturing and costs, but somehow I don't think this stuff is going to end up cheap!

Once we have really nailed the design, manufacturing shouldn't take so long...... Watch this space!!

Kindest regards,

SB

I just got this picture through from Stuart. This is the minirack with all 4 shelves on it. Interestingly this picture is taken and the only source of light other than ambient is the rack itself!!

New additions include the start of a radio mic aerial mast at the back, a headphone hanger on the left as we look at it, a monitor mount at the top, and of course the lighting, which is controlled by a switch and pot just near the voltmeter. Also note the adapted handsaw handle - this is to grab hld of in order to tilt the whole afair, and to wheel it around!!

Enjoy,

Simon B

Now we are onto the wiring.post-346-0-73694900-1342652378.jpg

Looking really good! Nice artistic lighting. It seems that Stuart's custom bracket/mount pieces are really the key to the whole thing (and I know these are not things that you can buy "off the shelf" from 80/20 or anyone else. When Chinhda did his lightweight cart, he of course fabricated all sorts of custom bits to make that whole cart design work.

post-1-0-48456300-1342653940.jpg

Actually, here is the history and origins of the Zuca bags:

- from the Zuca website

Laura Udall was a dedicated and concerned mother of three young children. Her daughter Rachel was only ten when she started having severe back pain from carrying heavy books to school. As a young teenager, Rachel was diagnosed with 30 degree curvature spinal scoliosis. Laura knew if her daughter was having such issues with her school books, there must be thousands of students with the same problem. Laura went direct to the source and asked students what they wanted in a school book bag. She enlisted her engineer husband, Nick, to create a carry-all that would spare their young daughter's back and incorporate many of the design ideas requested by the students. Like every great Silicon Valley company Nick headed to the garage where he designed and built the company's flagship product, the ZÜCA Sport.

Founded in 2004, tackling chronic back pain and promoting healthy living, ZÜCA was applauded by parents everywhere. And now? An entire ZÜCA family is rolling confidently through the world. Some haul sports gear. Some provide seats for weary business travelers. Some jump curbs just for kicks. Regardless, the ZÜCA story is a happy one. And only just beginning.