Scarlet TC

Just wanted to pass this on for what help it might bring.

Recently did a job with the Scarlet for the first time. Needless to say, and in their grand wisdon, Red decided to completely throw out the old Red One menu scheme and replace it with nearly a complete new one, including icon changes as well. Anyway... after realizing that the old "chain" icon for jam sync was replaced by the word "Jam" (yes, that term was reserved for another menu function on the One), we still (both myself and the AC we're stumped) couldn't get the Scarlet to take hardwired TC output from my 744T with the Scarlet as slave.

IN the end, we realized that ever time the Scarlet is powered down, or any number of other little tweaks are made with the camera, you must physically disconnect the TC connection in order for the Scarlet to grab incoming TC and lock to it, finally displaying the locked, matching TC on it's monitor.

Tom

On the Epic, there are the small letters "TC" in the lower part of the screen (toward the center). If they're missing, the camera is not getting external time code. If they are red, it means that external time code is coming in but you're not synced to it. If they're green, it indicates the camera is receiving incoming time code and the Epic is jamming to it.

On the Epic, there are the small letters "TC" in the lower part of the screen (toward the center). If they're missing, the camera is not getting external time code. If they are red, it means that external time code is coming in but you're not synced to it. If they're green, it indicates the camera is receiving incoming time code and the Epic is jamming to it.

I think it's hilarious on a Red camera that "if it's Red it's wrong, but if it's Green it's right!" (When it comes to the timecode display.)

On my first and second Scarlet shoots, the AC was smart enough to always check the TC slate against the camera every so often to verify the numbers were right. Once or twice in a 10-hour day, he slapped the camera or rebooted it (very quickly), and it came back just fine -- probably less than 6-7 minutes of downtime for an entire day, which isn't that bad.