Fans on Red Epic

...For us, the most annoying aspect of the RED Epic is the constant, loud fan (hairdryer) white noise that permeates the set during setup, blocking rehearsals and final rehearsals, with the first take being our first chance to really get a sense of what it is all going to sound like --- invariably we would have to find other noises on the set after take one (something we almost never had to do in the past when we were able to sort everything out beforehand, usually even during 2nd team rehearsals)...

+11

Just finished week-1 on a feature (length) [project] that was originally supposed to be shot on Epics... changed to Alexa... 2 days before principle photog -- I felt kinda bad for the camera crew's ensuing hustle, but I know even they are much happier using the Alexa.

The factor Jeff mentions above is enough to drive me absolutely crazy when working with these f&@king cameras -- between takes, it sounds like you're on a tarmac. How are we expected to do our jobs? ... not to mention the hearing fatigue.... Anyhow...

<end rant>

~tt

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I got off a good line today with a couple of DPs. We did a short scene with an Arri 435 (high speed film camera), and when they finished, I said, "wow, I'm never going to complain about how loud the Red Epic is again!" Brought down the house.

At least they understood what I was talking about...

Hey, I got off a good line today with a couple of DPs. We did a short scene with an Arri 435 (high speed film camera), and when they finished, I said, "wow, I'm never going to complain about how loud the Red Epic is again!" Brought down the house.

At least they understood what I was talking about...

When the 435 came out it was advertised as "The Worlds Best MOS Camera."

Eric

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

How many people have worked on two movies with numbers in the title: 61* and 42! http://jwsoundgroup.net/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/happy.png

10 Items or Less

Ten Inch Hero

Boogeyman 2

Vacancy 2

Crank 2

5 Days of War

Locker 13

Horrible Bosses 2

If you've got a number in your movie, especially a 2, I'm your man!

About to start a new movie with 2 or 3 Dragons at all times. They're set on adaptive preview quiet run 25%. This has proven to be the best setting, and very quite. No issues on Tarzan, as I've been told, on hot sets and long takes.

Make sure the cameras have the version 2 of their fan. It looks a bit different on the front of the camera, like a little hilltop. The fan percentage on a Red Dragon with the second version of the fan is quieter than the same fan percentage on the first version of the fan. And not all AC's know that there are different versions of the fans.

Unfortunately, the fans are supposedly necessary to the look of the picture. "Something, something, gammas, something or another." But not just to keep the camera from destroying itself with over heating. Or being too cold. Right now, our AC's are making sure the cameras are don't get too cold, either. 

To make it short:

Bottom Fan V2 is louder than V1. If Bottom V2 and Red's top fan is used you'll get less noise than with Bottom fan V1 only.

Best choice and results is using the bottom fan V1 and the FanPlate.

Set your camera to adaptive mode set to 70C° you'll get the best sound experience.

Blackshading done at constant sensor temp and shutter speed is key to get the best image out of your camera.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Liquid Nitrogen spray

Is this to cool off the camera?

And are you serious? (I wouldn't want to wander näif-like into a set-up.)

Liquid nitrogen is often available on a film set. The five-foot tall canisters of "air" typically fitted into camera trucks are actually filled with nitrogen.

You can blast it at items and, if the nozzle is held open continuously, the gas will chill down whatever it's aimed at. It will also, as it hits the air, make a cloud identical to, well, clouds. I once worked a job where we blasted an entire 18-wheel tanker full of nitrogen at a test item and the entire lot where we were working became enveloped by a cloud of moisture. It would have been a great (albeit expensive) way of making cloud vapor that could be blown over the cockpit of a stationary airplane to make it appear to be moving. It was kind of fun to blow through probably $10,000 (or more) of nitrogen but I can't see using it to cool a camera.

David

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had to move from an F5 to a RED Epic a year ago for a variety of client needs and i usually do one man band. Mainly corporate and some doco style stuff. 

RED have actually done a fair job at addressing the fan issue. The problem is many people use this adaptive setting which is the noisiest so the nomenclature in the menus tends to be a bit screwy. 

However I believe the quiet record mode in the latest firmware (actually the last 2 or 3 releases) seem to have gotten much better as i never have any fan issues and have been doing plenty of long interviews with the camera. 

Its just as client budgets tend to be aggressive since i do a lot of work with the fed the size of the camera for travel was more advantageous. But yes sound is a bit of a hassle compared to most of the other cameras. 

Again best solution is get in the settings and try almost anything BUT the adaptive mode. 

I just did some interviews in a very quiet place with a handheld Dragon.  I could hear it, but I doubt the clients will care.  Long rolls, new DP moving fast so I decided not to get into The Fan Thing with him.  I feel like the camera is quieter than it was for this kind of long-roll doco thing.  

p