Wristwatch Monitor System for Boom Op..

joshneal

Ive been thinking about this idea i've had for a while... I want to build a small lcd monitor for my boom ops that they can wear around their wrist like a watch.  Ive heard of this setup before, but I'm not sure if there is any commercial product available that is designed to function like this.  Anyhow I need a small lcd screen with ntsc video input.  Can anyone recommend a small (no more than 2.5" diagonal) lcd with ntsc input (and runs around 12v power)?  Ive been thinking about this one:

http://www.millertech.com/modular-lcds1.html 

The first or second one on the page - the 1.8" one or the 2.5" one.

And I also need a wireless transmitter/receiver system.  Ive had my eye on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-4-ghz-Wireless-Security-video-AV-Transmitter-Receiver_W0QQitemZ110168203170QQihZ001QQcategoryZ48636QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It is a bit bulky, but I can attach it to my boom op's belt (already have a nice belt set-up with a rolls PM50sOB amp and a duplex box - I use this system so my boom op can adjust his own headphone level and I can talk back to him during takes).  I would also attach an np battery and cup to supply power to the lcd and the wireless reciever.  Or does anyone know of any other lithium 12v battery system that might be cheaper/less bulky?

This would require cables to be run up my boom ops arm - likely to be secured with some elastic velcro armbands. 

I know that some of you might say this setup is a bit of overkill and likely to create more of a burden for a boom operator than a blessing.  But, it would be a system that i would only bust out when appropriate.  Ive been getting into a good rythym with my current boom op and I feel like he can handle it when we have enough prep time before a shot and its appropriate for the scene.

I want to build this so that it is durable and dependable.  If anyone has any suggestions at all I would love to hear them.  Thank you all!

Peace

Josh Neal

Hi Josh. A couple of years ago I worked with a boom op from Salt Lake City who wore a small LCD television receiver on his wrist. It was an off-the-shelf product (Radio Shack?) that was powered by AAAs. He tuned it to the video assist transmitter frequency. Worked well for him. It was a bit big, but maybe there are smaller ones now.

Chris Newton

You mean like this?

http://www.amazon.com/NHJ-Wristwatch-Television/dp/B0002PSINY

A steadicam op I know has one. The idea is nice, but the picture coming from a video transmitter on is rig was not that great. You get a good idea of the frame, but not that good to see if you're in the shot. A bit snowy!