788t

albfree

My apologies to Albfree if my original post was snarky. Not the intention at all. More the visual of managing eight hard wired Lavs plus cables to the cameras brought to mind a lot of tangles, and that's where the knitting came in.

And I'm not a PA guy at all, I always sub it out, so that part to me was an added complication.

Who knows what happens when you put 8 omni mics in a room and run them through an amplifier?

My suggestion to you - give this to someone else, you are already doomed.

Let me clarify something real quick. By newbie I mean I've been doing this for 7 years, not 35. I own a 552 and yadda yadda and have plenty of amazing national clients. I took on a job as a favor for a friend who had to bail at the last minute, with gear and a scenario I'm not familiar with.

In 7 years and plenty of amazing national clients, you have never used or familiarized yourself with a sound devices recorder?

I'm up for the challenge. Forgive me for asking a simple question. To those of you who are too cool to remember not knowing every little esoteric thing I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you with my simpleton question. To the others who have taken the time to answer in a thoughtful constructive way, thank you, I really appreciate your time and patience, you represent what this board should be about. And yes for the last 3 days I've been RTFM.

A little esoteric thing is not what the capability of a piece of equipment is.

<p>

Boy, the responses on this forum are geeting a bit snarky. The short answer is that live sound reinforcement is WAY different than production sound recording.  Perhaps the OP is a noob regarding live sound.I don't know that I'd like to take on a task like this.Robert
I highly agree with Robert. Live sound is very different than production sound mixing. I cut my teeth on live sound and the tools and skills involved have a lot of similarities but also a lot of differences from production sound. Just because you have done one doesn't mean you're qualified to do the other. 8 omni lavs run through a board to a PA system is quite easy...with the right tools and experience. Without those you and the audience are in for a world of hurt.

Alrighty then.

Many thanks to those of you who took the time to share your knowledge. My apologies for not being more clear in my original post. I do have ample experience with production sound (but not the 20-30 years knowledge base of many other professionals I know) but have none with live sound, and saying 8 speakers in regards to a PA situation is obviously confusing.

Advice given was spot on. "We also need a hand-held mic" and the feedback fun did indeed come to fruition. I explained to the producer before-hand these concerns and to get a PA pro to take care of it. Also the advice on how to get burned by 788 ala pre/post fade recording mixing was very helpful. Auto-mix would have been wonderful, except it was in an expansive hall (even though our area was a small 40 seat cordoned off area) and the din of revelers kept the mics open. Many hours logged with the manual were well worth it, and after using the Nomad 8 and 788T in back to back weeks my 552 looks like the old pair of shoes in the closet.

Anyhow, much respect to the live sound people out there. And much gratitude to those of you who took the time to share your insight, what I think this sound community should be all about.

Cheers,

Alex