Forum question

Philip Perkins

The length of time it take to post to a USENET newsgroup probably has everything to do with the service used to make the post and to read the post. It could be that your posts are being made faster than you are receiving them, or it could be that the posts are just being made late.

It is my experience that when using a true newsgroup reader (I sometimes use the one in Outlook Express) the posts to ramps are made and received almost instantly. It used to be that when linking through a service such as "Google Groups" (the portal used on the Trew Aiudio homepage) it could take a while for a post to appear. However, now it seems that Google Groups nearly instant, too.

How are you posting to the ramps newsgroup?

Glen Trew

Why is it that when one posts here (or Gearslutz etc) that my posts appear right away (and I can see and correct my typos), while forums like RAMPS and RAP take a long time to post new messages?  What is different about the approaches?

Philip Perkins

R.A.M.P.S. is a Usenet newsgroup, not a forum. It takes the format of a forum with topic threads, posts and replies, but it is an entirely different animal. This forum (and most all of the others) is presented via forum software installation on a server. In my case, I have a Lunarpages account that hosts all of the various websites (my own and a few that I have done for family and others) and this forum which is installed and configured using a software package from Simple Machines Forum. Many of the forums out there are run under vBulletin, another very popular software program. Since I administer the forum I have to make all sorts of decisions as far as the settings go and one of those settings is to allow members to correct (Modify) their own posts even after they have been posted. Many of our members do this and I have also corrected other people's posts (mostly typos and things like that). If I wanted to get more aggressive as the administrator, I could also set it up such that every post would need to be reviewed by me first before even appearing to anyone else...  now, I would never want to do that with this group but there are forums where this might be necessary.

I hope this answers your question. Someone who knows a lot more about Usenet can probably fill in some details about how newsgroups work.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

It is my experience that when using a true newsgroup reader (I sometimes use the one in Outlook Express) the posts to ramps are made and received almost instantly.

Glen Trew

I usually use a newsgroup reader also for r.a.m.p.s. and it seems to be fairly quick (but subject, of course, to the traffic on Verizon's servers where the newsgroups actually reside since Verizon is my ISP). Most of the complaints I have heard have come from those who are using the Google Groups access to newsgroup for r.a.m.p.s. --- this has worked well, does not rely on your own ISP carrying the newsgroup, but it has been rather slow at times.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler