senn g3 on red

just started a shoot on epic and planned to send a scratch for dailies wireless to the cam. it turns out that its quite impossible to get a clean signal onto the cam because of rf trouble. the attached receiver displays a heavy rf signal as soon as the cam is switched on and the receiver comes close to the red. massive blasts of noise all over...... director, script etc get the same feed and their signal is clean.

coming from a shoot with alexa, where the same setup worked without problems. just wanted to know if someone of you experienced something similar or succeeded in operating receivers on the epic

best

m

hi eric , tried several other frequencies across the block, no difference. dont have access to other blocks atm.

moving the rx away from the cam is not really an option, as the whole shoot is handheld with no cables coming from the cam. video over a canatrans, which is on a safe frequency much lower.

The (stock) Epic and Scarlett have balanced/unbalanced 1/8" jacks, so when sending a signal from an unbalanced portable G2/3 reciever, you cannot use the 'stereo' input 1/8" to 1/8" cable that comes with the G2/3. (been there, tried that.) The 'Ring' connector on the camera end, must be tied to ground, or use a two conductor 1/8" plug.

Thougb the OPs discrption does sound like RF interference issue.

I just used my C band G2 on an Epic last week for scratch sound. It's been reported to be clear of rf hits, but honestly I was expecting to experience more of what you described. I'd be curious to hear how your issues are with the canatrans turned off first.

We have annoying audio artifacts in the scratch audio we record on Epics w/ G2s. All I can figure is that the Epic causes some kind of interference that makes the otherwise fine G2 RX have this noise, no matter where we mount it on the camera. If I have a chance this week I'll try a hop with a more upscale RX and see if it has the issue too. It seems like it could be RF, but could also be crap from the camera getting into the ground of the unbalanced signal.

phil p

I used a G2 (and G3 ) both 'A' block w/o any issues to an Epic and Scarlet @ mic level on different shoots w/o issues.. (as far as I know) Just recently, I fed Scarlett with a Comtek, feeding the camera an unbalanced HP out with 40dB pad/cable on the reciever to camera. That worked too.

short update.

also, the 1ac complains about bad range with his wireless focus ( 2.4 ghz arri ). this camera just seems to spit out quite massive broadband rf trash. cure: sennheiser sk250/ek3041 ( 250mw) for scratchtrack.

additionally, the timecode bleeds in the audiotracks and there is a rythmic clicking noise on the audiotracks, generated by the cam.

-> everything audio on and around this cam is useless. at least, syncing with tc works as it should, with an attached all601

greets