just wondering (audio class)

FSBELLA

I responded to a post "Don Coufals boom class on line, and was just wondering?

I posted about a audio class, a in person on hands and a internet class as well.

here's the confusing part (or maybe not) I recieved Personal Messages here and actual calls at work,

from the entire spectrum of sound mixers. half of them want a class of some kind to attend and the other 1/2 wanting to teach the classes.

why not respond to the actual post? is it embarrasing? do people wait and "see" what kind of demand there might be??

FS

Hi FS BELLA AND TRACK WIZARD,

i found this thread very interesting and thought would chime in with a few suggestions

as a lot of our fellow mixers are not US based and dont chime in regularly,

is it possible to have it as a online forum where in you could ask and learn online 24/7?

we can always ask the questions here at JW s site and get

good answer always, the seniors pros are just awesome,maybe incorporate with it, if the rules permit or if it is posible, just a thought,maybe Mr Wexler could answer this

this class could be helpful for beginers as well others

i personally think it is a good idea and the form/format could be discusse by the peers here and incorporated accordingly and benefit us all

the pros outside US could also be incorporated to this , so making it worldwide, again just a thought

i would love to attend a class if and when conducted by senior pros where possible

hope i make sense

warmly

Hari

I suspect there are a number of folks working regularly, and successfully who realize some of their basic technical knowledge may have some gaps they would rather not publicize but who would not have a problem showing up for classes or sessions.

I recall an award winning Mixer who was using phase reversers with new Phantom powered mics, because the mixer-panel was wired red-dot and did said Mixer did not understand the nature of Phantom power.

many mixers don't solder but I think they would be happy to know how to in a pinch.

what I'm saying is, maybe there are a lot more folks interested in some short, fun sessions on some topics that will be useful.

I differ with JW (and Wolfie!) on this in that I do not believe that it is a function of a labor union to provide the basic skills training to its members from union dues, it is a function for the unions to negotiate the employers providing the training, or at least funding it. Even safety training falls under my belief here.  A union should provide training for officers and shop stewards in their duties, organizing and other union issues and techniques, and promote the fullest utilization of educational and training benefits provided by the employers.  It is a major function of industry organizations, like CAS, and vendors, to provide educational benefits for its members, and of course if such opportunities are offered, it is proper and important for the Labor Union to promote them to its membership (which JW and Wolfie are doing effectively!) (BTW, I learned ProTools in classes paid for by the employers, aka Contract Services, as arranged by the Editor's Guild!!)

OK, so if Coffey Sound (and / or other Vendors) offer sessions this would be a good thing, and has been happening already. Vendors may host events and sessions featuring specific sponsors, or not, and offer them free, or with charges.  I remember (flashback music, please) I took a class at my local Electronics store for some nominal sum back in my youth to get my HAM radio license.  The nominal cost allowed the instructor to be paid, a little, and the dealer gained new HAM's as customers!!  a symbiotic (mutually beneficial) arrangement.

making such sessions available via the web is a terrific capability we have today to increase the reach and participation of such sessions.

Obviously it would be helpful to know what sessions would be helpful (besides new products and techniques stuff we all hunger for), and how many folks are interested,  so hopefully we will get some responses to encourage this along.

I differ with JW (and Wolfie!) on this in that I do not believe that it is a function of a labor union to provide the basic skills training to its members from union dues, it is a function for the unions to negotiate the employers providing the training, or at least funding it. Even safety training falls under my belief here.  A union should provide training for officers and shop stewards in their duties, organizing and other union issues and techniques, and promote the fullest utilization of educational and training benefits provided by the employers.

I can't speak for Wolf but I think you and I actually agree for the most part on the role of a labor union in regards to education. My views personally are not necessarily the perceived public view that Local 695 has taken in the past. As for who pays for all of this, our Local is involved with Contract Services (the employer) and Contract Services has supplied funding for many of our educational and training efforts in the past. Understand that the other locals (including the Editors Guild) have substantial education and training budgets that do draw on the union's treasury (member's dues) but are supplemented to a great extent by long standing arrangements with Contract Services.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

hello wizard & wiz. (I like that)  wow. both STUDIO & JW touched om something I did not even think about. (maybe a sponsorship from the local)

my point was I really think there is a demand or interest of a audio class of some kind, wether sponsored by a union or payed individually by mixers who want to help with the ever changing products that WE all use every day.

the internet just takes us to another level as far as the reach and "global interaction" I talked to are IT dept. and we can for sure do a interactive audio class at the same time as we do a in-house session. and of course archive every one of them, as to if any member needs to get any info from that days topic or product, they can.

I remember when I first started working at lsc, they used to have the audio classes, Dave Missal and Ed along with many "guest" teachers used to teach the basics and more advanced techniques, and the classes used to be packed and very intresting. don't really know why the classes just stopped?

maybe its just that, it was the basics and that the teachers personal techniques. it was not really about the new technology, that changes rapidly and the new formats that are there for all to learn, as the way things seem to be today. so many choices with more of a learning curve.

these classes do a lot for everyone involved as touched on by studiomprd,

the vendor sponsoring the classes, the manufactorers of that particular class or topic , the union and of course you, the working audio pro.

we all win.

thanks,

I, for one, would completely welcome any kind of audio instruction learning resource. I started a blog about sound for picture, called  http://www.syncsoundcinema.com/, expressly because it seemed like audio was under-represented online.

Plus, even though there are basic audio courses and books out there, there doesn't seem to be any way to learn how to do actual field mixing (differences in broadcast cameras, hiding lavs, etc.) unless you are lucky enough to either have a lot of time to learn the hard way, or apprentice under a veteran (I have only had option A thus far :).

However,not being in a union, I would welcome such a resource only if it were very affordable, or even free (ie ad-supported).

Thoughts?

-Christian

sync,

I have checked out your blog before. sorry I have not responded or "blogged" back.

this site is where I do my blogging if you will.

but any way,

thanks man I will keep you informed of or if any classes ever start up. would you attend a class in person? or on line??

we would probably have to have some sort of fee to help pay for the teachers time

etc. just for kicks, what would you pay?  here are 3 choices discussed or tossed around.

1-$40. for a 1 hr class (on a particular product) almost like a introduction or a basic class, to get "re freshed" on the product.

2-$70 for a 1.5 hr class (on a product) more advanced- special features etc.

3-$100 for a 1.5 hr class- (several products) the most popular items. with a far advanced course- tricks of the trade" and how the pros are doing it.

John Coffee organized this for CAS and 695 and I am sure  he will admit guest and prospective members of either organization.....

...Invite you to a Special RF Seminar

Saturday, November 3, 2007

Social: 10:30 A.M.

Seminar: 11:00 A.M. — 1:00 P.M.

Place: Warner Bros Studios

Topic:

FCC Spectrum Sell-off:

The White Spaces Left - and YOU!

Speakers: Chris Lyons and Luis Guerra from Shure

Moderator: John Coffey

We face an important issue today. In an era when our audio jobs have become more reliant than ever before on using wireless mics, the FCC is making big changes to the frequencies we now use. It may soon, seriously impair the ability to do our jobs that require wireless mics. Understand what's happening and how it will affect you!

Expert speakers will provide an interesting and informative learning experience for everyone about these impending problems as well as the general principals of wireless applications and the future needs for frequency readers and frequency co-ordination techniques. Also learn important tips and techniques for antenna set-up including spacing, height, co-ordination, remoting and combining omni-directional and unidirectional antennas along with passive and active splitters.

There will be interesting live demos of wireless uses that will be projected and much will be learned in a lively two hours.

RSVP NO LATER THAN NOV 1, 2007 to:

CASseminars@CinemaAudioSociety.org