Mountain Lion

Jeff Wexler

I have had Mountain Lion up and running for about a week now on my early 2008 iMac with no problems. I recently upgraded the memory from 2 GB to 4GB which has helped tremendously with overall performance. Upgrading from Snow Leopard to Lion had slowed it down a bit, prompting the upgrade. Mountain Lion seems to perform similarly. I haven't really been utilizing any of the new features in Mountain Lion OR from Lion.

I am quite disappointed that an issue with Hot Corners has not been resolved in this update. Periodically my Hot Corners just stop working. This started in Lion and is documented in the Apple Support forums. The only fix is to open Terminal and killall dock but that defeats the purpose of a time saving shortcut. I can't believe they would release a new OS without ever fixing these sorts of bugs from a previous version.

I am quite disappointed that an issue with Hot Corners has not been resolved in this update.

I'm curious what you use Hot Corners for and how it may improve a work flow? I've never used them or thought of a way it may be good for me to do so. Not being critical, just genuinely curious.

john

When Apple upgrades their OS, do they also upgrade the stock of computers they have for sale in the stores? Or do they just expect you to do the upgrade yourself after you buy it? It's been awhile since I bought a new Mac and I can't remember the drill. phil p

Depends. If you bought a Mac, say, a month ago you would have a way to download 10.8 for free. I forget how far back the free update goes, but if you bought a computer off the shelf at a store today and it was still running 10.7, it would be a free update (via the app store). If you bought from an actual Apple store, I am sure they would update it for you. I'm not sure if they unseal the boxes in the store to update the OS until they are sold.

New computers coming from the factory will now have 10.8 on them, but I am sure there is still some stock of 10.7 machines out there. There would be a sticker on the side of the box if it was updated before they remade the boxes. At least that was the past method.

I love it I just put it on! its great I can airplay video games on my big TV and surf the web! Its so great this alone is awesome cuz I dont need cables to get audio and video on the big screen, but its better than how airplay use to be now I can airplay the whole computer experience including games and web browsing.

Also siri, or at least her voice recognition is added just by tapping the function key twice and typing has been eliminated(not really).

Then the notification center which is nice but not amazing.

Jim,

You can play a video over airplay to your tv. You'll need an apple tv 2nd or 3rd generation with the right software to do it though and a computer that meets the minimum specs. Not all mac models are capable of airplay, and Apple hasn't really advertised that part as much. The official Apple document is linked below.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5404

If you want to bring the save as dialogue back where it is permanently in the file menu without having to hold option key, then the directions on the link below will take care of that for you.

http://www.tuaw.com/...ly-and-without/

We've been running Mountain Lion since the release date with the adobe suite and some other production software, and haven't had any problems yet. This OS feels more of a software upgrade as opposed to a major OSX overhaul, like what we experienced with the lion and the snow leopard updates.

You can play a video over airplay to your tv. You'll need an apple tv 2nd or 3rd generation with the right software to do it though and a computer that meets the minimum specs.

Thanks. I can watch French and British TV on my Mac and would really like to be able to watch them on the big screen.

If updating from Lion, will all oldee apps still work under Mountain Lion? That is to say, apps that don't have the secueity certificate?

And another thing: is 10.8 notably slower than 10.7? (like 10.5 was much slower than 10.4)

The Security Certificate thing will not affect older programs. It will alert you if you try and open an older program that has never been launched but it will not prevent you from running it. The Security routines preside over new purchases and downloads (and is also easily bypassed by setting your security preferences or holding down the Option key when you go to launch a program).

I am finding that 10.8 is faster in some respects than 10.7... possibly a little slower in other respects. All in all, no significant differences that I can tell.

Chris:

Have you found anything that won't work with Airplay? I have the newest iPad and using the HDMI adapter, I found some things are blocked... like HBOGo. It puts up a message basically saying "we can't let you do this for legal/license reasons. Sorry."

I don't have an AppleTV (yet), so I have not tried it out via Airplay, but I would think it would be the same thing.

The dictation is pretty good too. It's turned off by default in the system prefs. If you have an iPhone or iPad, it's basically hitting the same server.

I'm curious what you use Hot Corners for and how it may improve a work flow? I've never used them or thought of a way it may be good for me to do so. Not being critical, just genuinely curious.

I use my Hot Corners mainly in place of the function keys. My upper right hand corner shows the desktop, so if I want to clear away all the clutter and see the name of a file on the desktop I just put the mouse in the upper right hand corner. The lower right hand corner is for all application windows. The lower left hand corner is for all windows and the upper left hand corner is to put the display to sleep. At first Hot Corners are an adjustment but now I've become so accustomed to them it's hard to function without them! I haven't found a good use for Spaces though. I can see Spaces being very useful if I were a programmer or graphic designer, bouncing between a variety of different programs all day long.

Chris:

Have you found anything that won't work with Airplay? I have the newest iPad and using the HDMI adapter, I found some things are blocked... like HBOGo. It puts up a message basically saying "we can't let you do this for legal/license reasons. Sorry."

I don't have an AppleTV (yet), so I have not tried it out via Airplay, but I would think it would be the same thing.

HBO Go on the ipad will Airplay to the Apple TV actually. I'm not sure why the HDMI would be blocked. I'm sure that the standard browser version on Mountain Lion would play as well.