Red Epic Pro I/O now shipping...

They're renders (so maybe not final-final), but the three ports at the front look to block the main intake fan (but not the audio inputs heaven forbid) and it looks like there's another small fan low at the back of the module.

Can't wait. </sarcasm>

And, with the way this module runs from front to back, there would be no way to attach ANY other module (Pro I/O, Controller). The iPad (or Red touch screen) is going to be the only way to change settings on the camera by the looks of it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm nervous about you guys using very similar 7-pin Hirose connectors for both power and sound. Assuming this is what winds up in the final product... Jarrend Land replies: "ha ha ha no.. thats just the generic solidworks connectors :)"

Yeah, that was me being nervous. Smooth move, showing completely wrong connectors in the mock-up. I'm still not happy at the lack of attention given to audio in the Red Camera.

Almost all the ACs I see using the Red Epic use the Redmote to adjust the camera. But I've seen those fail on at least one occasion (and in fairness, it was a rental, and all the others worked fine).

I bet it's 2.4 ghz and they're referring to the Zaxnet signal - wireless TC and audio.

Theoretically that sounds good, but.. Isn't it a bit weird that Zaxcom hasn't announced anything about it? Has there been a symbiosis, a business deal, that isn't announced proudly by zaxcom then? :/ just thinking....

I'll be optimistic and hope that Red just announced it first. Knowing Red, it could be a long way out. They have a tendency of showing computer drawn digital images almost up until release, so you don't even know if they have metal prototypes.

It says Zaxcom wireless audio (Zaxnet?), but doesn't say Zaxnet TC. At this point the info seems to be rumors, but if this is correct info, I would think Zaxcom has to be on board with them. If it is Zaxcom compatible, it is interesting that other systems are supposed to work as well.

I'll be optimistic and hope that Red just announced it first. Knowing Red, it could be a long way out.

The impression given is that it's just a drawing now, and is most likely at least 6 months away. My guess is that they'll intro it at NAB in April of 2013 and then come out with a finished product (at $12,000+) sometime after that.

I wonder if I'm the only person amused by the fact that, with this giant module, the Red is now at least as big as an Alexa... maybe more.

The impression given is that it's just a drawing now, and is most likely at least 6 months away. My guess is that they'll intro it at NAB in April of 2013 and then come out with a finished product (at $12,000+) sometime after that.

I wonder if I'm the only person amused by the fact that, with this giant module, the Red is now at least as big as an Alexa... maybe more.

The Meizler module was announced in March, a couple prototypes (or physical mock-ups) were floating around NAB. And as mentioned earlier in this post, a red guy posted to reduser: "See it live at IBC. Shipping in October/November."

Don't know how solid RED is with that shipping date. Perhaps we'll know more during the second week of Sept once IBC is underway.

Well the whole Scarlet design changed a lot in that time period. Remember RED said in a macho style, "we can't compete in the DSLR market so we're going to do something different. Again." And now Blackmagic Design will eventually provide what Scarlet was originally going to be, kinda. But ya, I don't set my watch by RED shipping dates.

IBC should be interesting, though...

The Blackmagic 2.5K camera is very interesting:

timeless.jpg

I agree, for $3000, on the surface it seems to be a great value. Although many of the Red people are rabid on the need for 4K, I have said since day one that I think the exposure range and the skill of the DP doing the lighting are above and away the most important factors. I don't doubt that if you put a world-class DP on this camera, he'd be able to make award-winning pictures.

Red has many challenges ahead -- cameras like the Canon DSLRs and the Blackmagic camera at the low end, and then Alexa and the Sony F65 on the high end ($50,000+). But the reality is that it's all the extra stuff -- lenses, grip gear, etc. -- that cost the most money, and are essentially no different between one camera platform and another. I'm still concerned about the usual issues: how well is it ventilated, how much noise does it make, what's its timecode stability, does it support the major post file formats, and so on.

Note that this version of the camera only does "time of day" timecode based on its internal clock -- no way to jam or run external, which is a big limitation for now. On the other hand, this is no worse than the Canon 7D or the original 5D, and people used those quite a bit for various projects.

Yes, they backed off on the original concept of a fancy DSLR (maybe twice the price of the Canon 5D, about $6000) and went with a small version of the Epic at $12,000. CEO Jim Jannard basically said they didn't want to have to compete with super low-budget cameras.

What's interesting is that over the last year, prices on the original Red One camera -- which is not that bad a camera at all -- have gone way below $10,000. You can literally buy the old camera for less than the Scarlet, and it will do more speeds and has a few more features. The newer cameras are upgradeable for new pickups and other features, however.

Speaking of the Epic, I just saw a 2K digital projection tonight of the Hobbit trailer and thought it looked and sounded spectacular. The Epic looked unusually clean and sharp, almost startlingly so.