Boom Recorder and Mix Pre-D

i used to do a lot of MIDI music with my PC and Yamaha keyboards, but that was a while back. I am looking into getting back into using computers. Boom Recorder for my Mac. My questions is, how in the heck do I get multi-track inputs into my Macbook Pro? I have seen USB audio interfaces/mixers, so I am thinking this is the way. I have a Sounddevices Mix Pre-D, but it only mixes two channels, plus two more via tape return, so that's a start, but still it would be nice to get multi-track into the laptop. Also, does the USB audio interface somehow separate channels 3 and 4 into separate tracks? Forgive me for being a total noob.

BR is a great acquisition tool, esp for video audio, but it really is not designed for what we think of as multitrack recording for music. It has no editing, very very basic monitor style mixing, no ability to overdub, no ability to use plug ins and no MIDI recording or editing. In fact, its lack of all these things are many of the reasons movie recordists like BR--it is simple, direct and works very well for a very specialized task. For music work w. MIDI I'd suggest Cubase or Nuendo or Digital Performer. Re using the MPD as an interface, it's partly down to whether or not your app recognizes it. There a LOTS of cheap USB interfaces out there now--you could use your MPD's mic pres and then go in through the other interface, which might be easier to set up with whatever app you end up using.

phil p

If you want multi-channel computer recording, you'll need a multi-channel interface. MOTU's traveler is a good solution, albeit one that uses Firewire and not USB like you appear to be used to. 4 onboard pres in addition to 4 line level inputs (you could use your MixPre to give you a total of 6 channels) unless you pair it with another interface with digital outputs to utilize the AES and optical inputs. It can also be battery bowered from a standard 4-pin cable and can resolve to and generate TC (although I've heard that it needs a stable external source to really be reliable in that department).

http://www.motu.com/...o/traveler-mk3/

Generally speaking/independent of specific software: to get multi-track inputs into your macbook pro, you assign each discrete input of your interface to the input of a corresponding track in the software - record arm all the tracks you want to record to, and roll.

If you're looking for a very good multi-channel USB interface check out the Roland OctaCapture (http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=1127). Small (1/2 rack), very good pre-amps, eight XLR/TRS inputs with phantom power and it will handle those eight channels up to 24/96 (four channels at 24/192). Its AUTO-SENS function is great for recording instruments.

The cheapest most versatile interface I've ever had/used was the MOTU Traveler. DC operation, lots of i/o (22 chan) 4 bus onboard mixer via software, can be synced any number of ways, fairly rugged, and available used on most Craig's Lists (very common). The downside is that it is a Firewire interface, which lets out most PC laptops, and an increasing number of Macs ("Airs"). It takes some study and testing to wrap your head around both BR and the Traveler, but once you do, coupled with a Mac laptop (even on older slower one) it is a really great bang-for buck multitrack solution. I've recorded years and years of jobs on those rigs with great success.

phil p

I've just bought a MOTU ultralite and it doesn't work on USB3.0 ports in windows yet (had to set them as USB2.0 in BIOS). Might be worth checking with them re: thunderbolt adapter.

However it does quite a bit of the stuff the traveler does, without the adat ports, and smaller. No word clock, but can sync over SPDIF (or SMPTE into an analogue in, but let's not start that up again).

I'm using a Motu Ultralight, 744T and Boom Recorder on a new Macbook pro. All I needed to get was a 400-800 firewire adapter for the new Macbook. This is a system I have used for many years with great success. I can reord 9 tracks and the 10th is for TC. If I wasn't using the 744T, I could hook a Deneke TC box up to the Motu and still be quite comfortable recording. Used Motu Ultralights are very inexpensive.

I did the boom recorder thing as a backup with my traveler awhile back, ended up smashing my MacBook on the pavement. I still don't trust puters as my recorder.

Doh! I hate when that happens.

On the occasions I've used Metacorder, I generally went with industrial-strength Velcro, to the point where it took about 2 minutes to physically rip the computer off the Magliner cart. No spills on that shoot.

I agree, computers are not ideal on location compared to a purpose-built portable recorder. But if you have to deal with high track numbers, it can work.