ADR definition/history

Doug Brandon

I did some simple searches on the site and could not find...

What is the original definition of ADR?

I've always thought it was down the lines of (pun unintentional) Audio Dialogue Replacement, or Recording. But I just finished watching our fearless governator in the orig TERMINATOR and there was a credit for 'Additional Dialogue' by William Wisher, jr. Is the AD for ADR?

Up too late for any goodness,

Doug

I recall it as meaning "Automatic Dialog Replacement."  This makes reference to not having to use the previous tedious method -- known as "looping" -- of playing back a physical loop of film repeatedly until a good take is recorded onto mag stock.  With the advent of SMPTE time code and microprocessor controlled auto-locaters on tape decks and video decks, the newer process was "automatic" by comparison. 

Someone correct me if this isn't accurate.

John Blankenship

I recall it as meaning "Automatic Dialog Replacement."  This makes reference to not having to use the previous tedious method -- known as "looping" -- of playing back a physical loop of film repeatedly until a good take is recorded onto mag stock.  With the advent of SMPTE time code and microprocessor controlled auto-locaters on tape decks and video decks, the newer process was "automatic" by comparison. 

John Blankenship

That's how I know it, with the joke being that the original ADR was far from "automatic", it just meant that you didn't have to cut loops of mag film anymore.

Philip Perkins

I believe it was "Automated", actually, but it's essentially the same thing.

At Pinewood, looping was used for years, then around 1982 we got some ADR (Automated Dialogue Replacement) machines from Magna Tech put in to Theatre 5. It took a bit of getting use to but once the new system was up and running it made the sound camera ops job a hell of a lot easier. I didn't have to splice the loops into reels anymore. No quick loop changes on the run down of the Westrex machine, and I could even get a bit of a nap in if the tea was a bit late.