BoomRecorder / Computer Recording Data needs .... How much is enough?

mikefilosa

I've worked with Deva 2 for so long... I am used to getting 8 "track hours" out of 2G partitions...

At 48K/24bit I can count on 1tk = 8hrs on a 2G block, 2tk = 4hrs  on a 2G block, 4tks = 2hrs  on a 2G block .......  when it comes down to 2G partitions...

I've got a 2hr performance recording coming up, and the client wants 16 tracks plus timecode....

I am looking for the storage capacity he'll / we'll need to be ready for....

I plan on using BoomRecorder here.... 

For BoomRecorder users, has the formula been roughly the the same ?  (1 tk for 8 hrs = 2g)

Therefore, 17 tks at 8 hrs would require 34G .....

Since  I'm only recording for 2hrs

(8/4 = 2, thus 34/4) I could get away with all of this with about 8.5 - 9G of media ? 

Is my logic correct or have others developed a better way to pre-determine storage needs for certain projects ? 

Thanks in advance...

Mike Filosa, CAS

Atlanta Field Production, Inc.

Is my logic correct or have others developed a better way to pre-determine storage needs for certain projects ?   

Thanks in advance...

Mike Filosa, CAS

Try Media Calculator, available here:  http://mediacalculator.znarfelectronix.com/

You can punch in values in the storage section, tracks, time, sample rate, etc. and it gives you all the media storage requirements.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

post-1-130815075207_thumb.jpg

Also remember you want to start a new file every 2 GB.   BWF files are consistently readable up to that size. When recording a performance you should be able to start a new file at song breaks etc.

---Courtney

And with Boom Recorder this is easy, since you just have to press the "rec" button whilst recording to close one file and open a new one.  I don't know how much is lost in between closing one file and opening another, but my guess is fractions of a second.  Take Vos can tell you more.  Certainly less than changing 1/4" reels <g>.

If you are not recording an performance, and thus have no natural breaks, Boom Recorder will automatically record in a new file when the current file reaches 2 GB. Also in this case, no samples should get lost.

You can also get Boom Recorder to overlap the audio, so that the end of the current file will also be at the start of the new file.

I've worked with Deva 2 for so long... I am used to getting 8 "track hours" out of 2G partitions...

At 48K/24bit I can count on 1tk = 8hrs on a 2G block, 2tk = 4hrs  on a 2G block, 4tks = 2hrs  on a 2G block .......  when it comes down to 2G partitions...

I've got a 2hr performance recording coming up, and the client wants 16 tracks plus timecode....

I am looking for the storage capacity he'll / we'll need to be ready for....

I plan on using BoomRecorder here....   

For BoomRecorder users, has the formula been roughly the the same ?   (1 tk for 8 hrs = 2g)

Therefore, 17 tks at 8 hrs would require 34G .....

Since  I'm only recording for 2hrs

(8/4 = 2, thus 34/4) I could get away with all of this with about 8.5 - 9G of media ? 

Thanks in advance...

Mike Filosa, CAS

Hi, Mike

In addition to the excellent and versatile Media Calculator Jeff mentioned, there is also a nice Dashboard Widget called AudioSpace Pro. http://www.klankschap.nl/widgets/audioSpacePro/  It will give you a time available for all the drives you have mounted, based on number of channels, sampling rate and resolution. This doesn't address your question exactly, but it will allow you to see if you have enough space on a particular drive before it's too late. There is another widget which calculates space required for a track count, at various sampling rates and resolutions, which I'll post later. The name escapes me right now and it's on my laptop, not this machine.

Best regards,

Jim

Hi, Mike

In addition to the excellent and versatile Media Calculator Jeff mentioned, there is also a nice Dashboard Widget called AudioSpace Pro. http://www.klankschap.nl/widgets/audioSpacePro/

Jim

Hey, Jim, that is a very cool widget! AudioSpace Pro and the Media Calculator should be able to figure anything anyone needs.

-  JW

The other Widget I referred to is the A-NO-NE DAW Disk Space Calculator. Not as versatile as Media Calculator, but useful.

http://a-no-ne.com/puter/tools/converter/dawConv.shtml

It's also available as an HTML file so you can run it in a web browser.

Best regards,

Jim