Epic/Scarlet TC... have I got this right?

The latest firmware on Scarlet (V3.3.14) also has a documented change: "Fix Audio meter to show real peak". I am not sure what that means.

I also noticed that the minimum value for audio level in adjustment is now +15dB. It used to be +8dB in the previous firmwares, I think. It is now impossible to compensate for the line level out on a Pix 240 without using a line to mic level pad on the cable. That is even when using the -20 dB adjustment on the Pix menu for audio output pad value.

" I have found that on 7xx recorders "Free Run" is more stable TC-wise than "24h Run". "

how were you able to determine this ??

while the internal TOD clock is not as accurate as the TC clock, once that time is jammed into the TC clock (24 hour mode), the TC clock is just as stable as if you entered (jammed) any other value.

" getting complaints from post about TC sync not matching sticks over the day. "

that is pretty vague, though more problem solving would seem appropriate to actually determine the root cause

as has been authoritatively reported the actual TC generator is the same, runs tyhe same,... discussions with <cap>, perhaps on the SD users' support forum would be appropriate, as if there is some problem I'm certain SD would also like to resolve it.

• 1 year later...

I realise this thread is a bit old now but I have a shoot coming up with a red scarlet with the pro i/o module and I have a ACL 202 lockit box and I had a question that could do with some of your expert knowledge. Am I right in thinking I jam the lockit from the 744t (5-pin lemo to 5 pin lemo cable) and then jam the scarlet from the lockit - for this do I need a BNC to 5-pin lemo or can this be done just with the 5-pin lemo to 5 pin lemo cable if I have the pro i/o module?

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Pete

I realise this thread is a bit old now but I have a shoot coming up with a red scarlet with the pro i/o module and I have a ACL 202 lockit box and I had a question that could do with some of your expert knowledge. Am I right in thinking I jam the lockit from the 744t (5-pin lemo to 5 pin lemo cable) and then jam the scarlet from the lockit - for this do I need a BNC to 5-pin lemo or can this be done just with the 5-pin lemo to 5 pin lemo cable if I have the pro i/o module?

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Pete

Typically, you jam the Lockit from the 744T - that's right.

But you would not typically jam sync the Scarlet (or any camera, maybe except for the Alexa) from the Lockit, but set the Scarlet to EXT TC and leave the Lockit on it all the time, "continuously" feeding TC to the cam. That way you make sure it stamps the first frame of each file recorded with the TC received from the Lockit (and that way the same TC that the 744 has). So picture and sound are never more than just below one frame off.

For more accurate sync you'd also have the Lockit feed Tri-Level into the cam.

Great, thanks pkautzsch for the quick response. I shouldn't have used the word 'jam' as thats not what I meant. I know you have to leave the lockit connected to the camera I was just wondering how you connect the lockit to the scarlet when using the pro i/o module? 5-pin lemo to 5-pin lemo? or BNC to 5-pin lemo?

Determined this the hard way, getting complaints from post about TC sync not matching sticks over the day.

Used Free Run instead of 24h, problem solved.

i know this is old news now, and you've probably long since figured this out, Peter, but maybe someone else will benefit: you TC differences probably happened when you switched your 744T off for lunch or whatever, and then switched it back on again thereby prompting it to sync again to the less accurate time of day clock which by then would be a bit off from you last sync

Did a test today and it seemed to work perfectly. What I did was: made sure lockit and 744t were set to the right frame rate, set 744t to free run -> got timecode into lockit (ACL 202) with 5 pin lemo-to 5 pin lemo -> removed from 744t and plugged into scarlet pro i/o module -> in scarlet menu went: settings -> project ->timecode ->external rear module and that seemed to work. Hopefully this was all right? Thanks for all the advice and the useful posts.