American Indie film in India

soundtrane

I was recently approached by an American director and producer to do production sound for their feature - to be shot in India. It's a 35+ day shoot over 6/7 weeks, 5-day and 6-day weeks alternating.

I am now being told by a co-producer (not the one i met, but someone with a bunch of Indie film experience) that their ballpark is 2500$ a week for everything: personnel, equipment and consumables. I was also told by them that they can get American crew to work on the project for this kind of money.

I found this way off. I am planning on writing back saying that maybe there is a mismatch between what they think they need for their project versus what they may get for 2500$ a week.

I am assuming 2500$ a week will NOT get a sound mixer, a boom operator, a 2nd boom/utility, full set of gear (cart-based - multitrack recording, 6 wireless, multiple mic options, 5/6 headphone feeds, a locket LOCKIT box for the Alexa, etc etc). Also add consumables to this. I am also assuming that 2500$ a week may get them a bag-based sound guy who will boom himself - like a documentary sound person - with definitely lesser gear than what i mentioned above.

Am i wrong in this assumption?

-vin

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The math says it's 7 weeks x $2500 or $17,500 flat all in for sound or about $500 per day. Doubt they could get a full 3 person American crew for that rate either. $500/day flat all in for a one man band is pushing it also but it is $17,500 which is not chump change. The unknown is what are their expectations for sound?

Eric

" Am i wrong in this assumption? "

it depends...

" The unknown is what are their expectations for sound? "

What is the budget ?? maybe who are the people attached in any way (any known names, ir is this some wanna' bee's ??

There have been threads about "experience of a lifetime" gigs... could this be one ??

the $17.5k budget might be including the airfare and accommodations if they bring someone over from USA for the experience.

" an American director and producer " DGA ? PGA ??

" a bunch of Indie film experience " often means Tuna Sub's projects..

" full set of gear (cart-based - multitrack recording, 6 wireless, multiple mic options, 5/6 headphone feeds, a locket box for the Alexa, etc etc). Also add consumables to this. "

it depends: do they have a clue ?? do they care ??

Thanks Crew...

Michael Miramontes has absolutely no clue or is joking (bad joke really) when he thinks we out here in India work for peanuts. Maybe he does. How much do peanuts cost out there Michael? Obviously more than in India for sure, but you think I got my Cantar for a 1000$ just because I am in India?

As for Senator:

>What is the budget ?? maybe who are the people attached in any way (any known names, ir is this some wanna' bee's ??>>

1 million for all of it. total. this is what i was told by the producer who i met here in India. The person i am speaking to now is a co-producer who i have not met. Known names: I dont think it is good to reveal names as yet. But the director is an ex-Oscar winner from a while ago. Good guy.

>" an American director and producer " DGA ? PGA ??>>

NO idea.

<" a bunch of Indie film experience " often means Tuna Sub's projects..>>

Oh of course. Very well could be.

<it depends: do they have a clue ?? do they care ?? >>

Maybe they have a clue, but care - obviously not. Otherwise they would not be talking about a 2500$ a week budget for the whole shebang!

Michael, you got it wrong here man, and it is an understatement.

My bad Vin, I guess I put my foot in my mouth on this one. Sorry about this. The reason why I mentioned this was that 8 years ago I worked for a financial institution that outsourced quite a bit of work to India. My department manager at the time was sent over there to train the new associates that we hired. When he got back he told me that the annual salary for the average employee was around $4500. I couldn't believe the difference in salaries but it made business sense as to why jobs where headed over there.

Again, this was 8 years ago and my comment above was based on old information. I didn't know you were based out of India and that you would know more about this then anyone else. I can see how my comment makes me sound like a douche bag so for that I apologize.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck on this deal and hope it all works out for you!!

Thanks Crew...

Michael Miramontes has absolutely no clue or is joking (bad joke really) when he thinks we out here in India work for peanuts. Maybe he does. How much do peanuts cost out there Michael? Obviously more than in India for sure, but you think I got my Cantar for a 1000$ just because I am in India?

Vin, please see my above post. I was in no way trying to joke or degrade the people of India. My comment was based on old information, and most likely inaccurate since it was in a different job field. So, I can understand why you think my "ignorant comment" may have been with ill intent. I assure you this was not the case.

Michael, forgive me, but you are talking about the movie industry here. Why on earth should your comment be on "a different job field"?

Are you referring to Call-centers or BPOs?

As for old information - i dont think Indian professionals in the movie industry were available for so cheap anyways, even 2 decades ago. Your old information is inaccurate.

While I accept your apology, I really think we need to think before we type.

Just a word about Call-center and BPO stuff out here:

90% of the people they hire are very young - most have not completed their education - their grasp of the languages they need to use is not just good enough - they begin earning money when they should be in college - they have very little future if the entire call-venter/BPO ventures in india Pack it in. it's all money for now - who does not want to have the freedom and bucks in the pocket at 22? when they grow older is when they realize they could have finished with their education and been in a better state than what they find themselves in.

hey Mike, no douche bags in JW (well, maybe a few and far between). No harm done, fellow-soundman-facing-the-same-shit-as-everyone-else-out-there... :)

Be well, and ensure you let me know if you ever come out here. We'll hit the bar together man. :)

Thanks bro. I felt bad for coming off the wrong way. I assure you that's not how I am. Thanks for clearing the air!

Likewise, if you are in L.A. then hit me up and drinks will be on me.

Hey, no harm done. I know you're better than what you wrote. Or else, my first post in response would have been like... :)

I know we'll meet sometime soon. Be well man :)

-------

AND NOW... for trying to figure out this co-producer woman... how the hell can a 3 member american crew come in for 2.5k a week??? or even an american 1-man band for 400 bucks a day with gear? oh man... she's got to be kidding me...

from her: <<It would be cheaper for me to bring someone from the states. If you'd like to submit a revised numbers I am happy to consider but we are along the lines of $2500/week USD>>

I quoted $4800 a week with a 3-member team (all experienced people), full gear (as mentioned in the first post++) and complete consumables. Is this really TOO MUCH for a comprehensive production sound budget??? What's the USA scenario like man? ???

JW sound members, what are we at?

" I dont think it is good to reveal names as yet. But the director is an ex-Oscar winner from a while ago. Good guy. "

Sorry, I wasn't asking for the names, just if they were "known names" in movies anywhere... Guess the Director is, (that makes her/him DGA (all Oscar Directors up to Katherine Bigelow were men), but that doesn't make the project DGA, and at one million dollars, it is not well funded, so I'd guess they are paying you what they expect to pay a Tuna-Sub crew and maybe planning to save most of the cost of bringing someone; I'd also bet that a one-person-band sound crew with a Zoom recorder is their budget, but of course not their expectation.

This goes to previous discussions of what is a real "feature film" shoot... not this, IMO, and frankly, I don't think you are interested...

" for trying to figure out this co-producer woman... "

another red flag: no budget, but a lot of ATL people

" an american 1-man person band for 400 bucks a day with gear? oh man... " or even less, I'd guess $150/day, and a "lifetime experience".

<another red flag: no budget, but a lot of ATL people>

what does this mean? a lot of ATL people? This is what it looks like (have removed the names obviously). So many ATL in production. ALL these people have a say in the film, but what are they really doing - are they WORKING on it? - is the 1mill$ budget including their pays, and if the film makes profits are all these people going to benefit??

Will someone out here who knows how all this works explain this to me please?

.... producer .... line producer .... associate producer .... co-producer .... co-producer .... co-producer .... co-producer .... associate producer .... co-executive producer .... executive producer .... co-executive producer

<or even less, I'd guess $150/day, and a "lifetime experience".>

oh yes, a lifetime of bad sound for the film...

ATL = Above the Line

BTL = Below the Line = crew

exactly, you list 11 "producers" --and is the director one of them?? he is also ATL, with the "talent"

yes, supposedly all these folks have some "back end" on the project (and thus the $$ they don't pay crew are dollars for themselves...)

try looking each of them up on IMDb

also, ask them if they need an Assistant Associate Co-Executive Producer, since at the rates they are offering you, you would be financing their production.

there have been a couple of threads here about doing jobs in far off exotic locations for subway tuna's and the once in a "lifetime experience"

<ask them if they need an Assistant Associate Co-Executive Producer, since at the rates they are offering you, you would be financing their production.>

Oh, this is a sure-shot way to tell them to buzz off. :)

<ALL these people have a say in the film, but what are they really doing - are they WORKING on it? - is the 1mill$ budget including their pays, and if the film makes profits are all these people going to benefit??>

I still need to figure out this...