DIY Remote power switch for Nomad

bendybones

I would like a remote power switch for my Nomad without paying 200-400 dollars for a Remote Audio BDSv4 or similar.

A suggestion from another thread was to build a switch on to my current Hawk Woods NPA-SQN battery cup

I would like to have this situated along the cable, not on the cup, as the cup will probably be in the bottom of the bag.

I just received my first batch of Sugru so I could probably use that to patch/mount/encase as necessary.

I can solder, but i have no idea how the elecronics of this situation should work.

Any suggestions on how I should do this?

What kind of switch component would I need (how many pins/connections etc)?

Would it be better to use a regulated power adapter like this Hawk Woods NPR FR2 ?

Is this simply a bad idea?

Like Eric said.

I would drill a small hole in the NP-1 cup (to fit a piece of wire, long enough to suit your needs)

disconnect the - lead from the battery to the Hirose (the one that powers the Nomad)

solder one lead of the wire (the one you drilled the hole for) to the - battery terminal and the other lead to the Hirose - terminal

on the other end of the wire...solder one lead to a small toggle switch and then the other lead to the other terminal of the toggle switch

you can now interrupt the - lead from the battery to the Nomad, cutting power. Of course, if you have internal batteries installed in the Nomad...they will kick-in.

as far as what switch to use...I can't tell you what the specs are, I just pick one that fits (physically) my needs. AFAIK, they are rated for at least 125VAC, minimum, so you should be ok using it with a 12v system.

I hope this helps!

Of course, if you have internal batteries installed in the Nomad...they will kick-in.

This is, of course, the inherent problem with any of these remote power switch schemes. The power switches on many of the devices we use are not just dumb on-off switches. Many devices have certain active routines that are initiated when the "power" switch is used to turn the machine on or off. On my cart, for example, I have a master switch that will turn off the power from my Cart Power Supply going to all the DC connection points throughout the cart. When shut down this does not insure that everything will actually go off. The Deva, receiving power from the external Cart Power Supply will not go off but rather it will switch to its internal NP-1 battery and continue to run. If I were to walk away from the cart at night, the Deva would continue to run until the NP-1 died. I know the way around this, of course, is to pull the internal battery (this would work for Nomad as well) but there are distinct advantages to having s fully charged internal battery in place.

Another thing to consider with the Nomad. If you have internal AA's in the unit as a backup/UPS (which I always use, just in case I run down my NP-1 away from home base or in order to hot swap NP-1's while powered up) Using a power switch to switch an external battery will only switch the Nomad to it's internal batteries. So in order to use an external power switch to actually turn on/off the unit, you will need to not use internal batteries.

I waited a while to hit "post" and during my laziness Jason and Jeff covered my point quite well. I snooze I lose!

Yep, Tom took the words out of my mouth. Any device running an operating system -- which includes all non-linear recorders I know of -- will not react well to just yanking the power out without a clean shutdown first.

In bag situations, I'll constantly kill the power on the BDS with the remote switch -- which, by the way, works fine with a BDS v3 -- but I leave the recorder on, just on suspicion of not wanting to interrupt the timecode. If you can wire the shutoff to just kill the wireless receivers, monitoring, IFB, and whatever else you're running, that should help extend battery time quite a bit.

Yep, Tom took the words out of my mouth. Any device running an operating system -- which includes all non-linear recorders I know of -- will not react well to just yanking the power out without a clean shutdown first.

The Nomad power switch IS a hard shutdown. There is no shutdown procedure like there is with a Sound Devices recorder.

I've been using a BDS with my Nomad since day one. I will kill power from the BDS. I haven't had any issues with it.

So you should be fine.

That said, whether it is a "hard switch" or not, there is still the issue of the internal battery keeping the Nomad running even when you kill the external power.

Bendy- what are you trying to accomplish? Is the Nomad's side switch mounted in a bad place for you? To be honest, a remote switch, with no internal batteries, is a little scary to me if it could get bumped.

I always have an internal battery in my Nomad and Fusion, and therefore use the switch on the case. At the end of the day I can turn off the wireless and still be mirroring or creating the folder for the next day. Unless I am on a cart, I would fear doing bag work with a battery that can run out and not having that backup.

Bendy- what are you trying to accomplish? Is the Nomad's side switch mounted in a bad place for you? To be honest, a remote switch, with no internal batteries, is a little scary to me if it could get bumped.

I always have an internal battery in my Nomad and Fusion, and therefore use the switch on the case. At the end of the day I can turn off the wireless and still be mirroring or creating the folder for the next day. Unless I am on a cart, I would fear doing bag work with a battery that can run out and not having that backup.

Unless you're powering your wireless receivers with a separate battery, when your main battery dies everything goes out. So unless you're just using a boom in your mixer you would be out of commission anyway.

Unless you're powering your wireless receivers with a separate battery, when your main battery dies everything goes out. So unless you're just using a boom in your mixer you would be out of commission anyway.

I keep 9v batteries in the Lectro receivers to serve as a battery backup. So if I lose juice everything continues to function on internals until I can make a swap. So far, I've never actually run out of juice before I could easily switch out. But the peace of mind helps me relax and focus on mixing instead of watching the voltage drop.

I keep 9v batteries in the Lectro receivers to serve as a battery backup. So if I lose juice everything continues to function on internals until I can make a swap. So far, I've never actually run out of juice before I could easily switch out. But the peace of mind helps me relax and focus on mixing instead of watching the voltage drop.

That won't actually save you if the DC plug is still inserted in the rx.

The Nomad power switch IS a hard shutdown. There is no shutdown procedure like there is with a Sound Devices recorder.

Wow! <in Johnny Carson's voice> I-did-not-know-that! I assumed it was like the Deva/Fusion and every other similar recorder. If it's robust enough to handle multiple power kills, go for it.

Bendy- what are you trying to accomplish? Is the Nomad's side switch mounted in a bad place for you?

The aim is to prevent the power switch from failing again by never touching it ever again.

Mine was not one of the batch of bad power switches, it is a much later unit, but the power switch failed during the first few power cycles anyway.

It is being replaced at the moment.

I have to assume it can/will fail again.

Good point about the accidental bumping.

If I go for this I will aim for something low-profile.

Also the 'on-off-on' switch idea is really good. Yoink!

From Zaxcom

You should have no issues powering nomad externally and cutting power via a switch.

Though if you power it this way and keep internal batteries in your nomad the nomad will remain on.

That won't actually save you if the DC plug is still inserted in the rx.

Correct. I havent installed 9volts in my Lectro receivers for quite some time. Never did understand why they designed it this way...

As mentioned, a small interrupt switch is very easy to make/solder with a simple switch and project box from radio shack (or the like). A slide switch, like the one found on the nomad, will probably be difficult to accidentally bump.

I prefer to keep a backup battery in the nomad or fusion, ( yeah the switch placement on both can be difficult sometimes) but if my bag battery kicks out, I will at least have my boom channel, and won't have to worry about resetting anything on either machine, or wonder if the TC jumped or something. In the "heat of the moment" it just makes more sense to have to worry about as little as possible.

When my fusion is on the full cart, I'll leave the battery out, as all audio goes thru my mixer, so if my battery backup kicks I won't have any incoming channels regardless!