8060 vs MKH 60

Philip Perkins

I was using an 8060 for about a month until it predictably developed a fault. Therefore IMHO it's considerably less reliable than it's bulletproof counterpart aswell as being lighter but you probably knew that. I'd say you hear a little more background on the 8060 and it's a little sparklier ie more presence and sometimes dare I say it a little sharp but I like bright microphones for general use. The mkh 60 has a more compressed isolated sound, a little less 'real'. 8060 has less off axis rejection I'd say. It's a great all rounder for dealing with two headers as it has a nice open sound and is quite hot. Also it's considerably lower noise I'd say, has a quiet sound quality about it. Speech comes through nicely in a balanced way considering it's a shotgun.

If you're thinking of buying one of these I'd say the 8060 is the way to go but I cannot vouch for it's reliablility. I can however vouch for the mkh60s. There have been repeated issues of earthing caused essentially by some kind of design fault with the 8060. Re. rf, have no idea to be honest. Both are very straighforward and robust re. handling noise.

G

There is a well documented issue with earlier MKH8060s that has been fixed. I got the first mkh8060 in the US and was faulty. After the trip to the mothership it has been flawless including 4 hours in 128F 100% humidity....

Do you know what serial number range the bad batch may have fallen in?

Also philip - Check out this video for the 8060:

I got mine not too long ago and so far so good. Looking to get the 8070 when money permits too. Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Would also like to hear more about mkh8060 vs mkh60.. from what I've read its closer to the 60 than the 416 but still interested if people prefer it generally (most people know what the 60 and 416 sound like) and also if handling noise is any more than what you would find with the older mkh mics. Senator will come along now and tell us that its subjective...

i rented a 60 while my CMIT was being serviced earlier this year and going from CMIT to the 60 was quite a difference in tone. i agree w superdiscount's description of the 60's sound quality, compressed and isolated. i had a hard time getting a sound that was pleasing to my ears but it did give me a clean full sound none the less. so next time out i rented a 8060 and to me it sounded like a breath of fresh air compared to the 60. i noticed a slightly looser pickup pattern and more natural tone w more presence than the 60. using the 8060 w an invision mount presented no handling noise whatsoever. i ended up buying an 8060 that week and now that my CMIT is back and working as it should i find myself using the 8060 more often than not due to it's ruggedness and compact size, though it's heavier than the CMIT. but back to the 60, i feel that it pulls voices out really well but it just sounds too chesty for the way i like to hear things.

I have to say I'm in love with the 8060. I just finished a feature that gave me a chance to run it through it's paces and was amazed at how well it fared indoors. We had quite a few indoor med/wide shots that turned out amazingly well because of how well the 8060 fares at a distance. Even at 4'+ it often sounded natural, rich and punchy. Highly recommend it.

• 4 months later...

I just got an 8060 from my Sennheiser sales rep to test out. It is a great sounding mic. More crisp and less wooly than the MKH60. I'm not sure about the lab tests, but it is a fine sounding mic. I'd consider buying one (if I needed a new shotgun mic), but I already have a couple of MKH60's AND all of the shockmounts, zeppelins, & Rycotes to go along with them. "Upgrading" to an 8060 from an MKH60 means you'll have to get new shockmounts, windscreens, etc. Kinda like "upgrading" your computer with a new operating system. You'll also need to upgrade a bunch of other software as well...

Steve Wytas

www.audio911.com

My old 416T was starting to hiss about 18 months ago when I decided I wanted to have a listen to the 8060, even though I had my heart set on the DPA 4017.  Thankfully, a mentor of mine had a 4017 that he was only too happy to test against the 8060, which the lovely chap at the rental house allowed me to borrow for the day.  

Like Jason A - I was thoroughly impressed with its capabilities from distance.  I was working on a short film a little while ago, which had a scene that was covered only in wides with the odd loose mid, and the performance of the 8060 blew me away - post were thrilled.  I use the MKH50 for 2-3 handers (etc) and the 8060 and couldn't be happier with both of them.