If you had no ties...where would you go?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

grew up in L.A... but I've been in the PacNW now for over 20 years -- not the best market for production, but not the worst either... still want to travel more, but will probably always call the NW my home.

...unless New Zealand laxes up their immigration laws -- something tells me I'd absolutely love it there.

~tt

Is there work in Paris? I don't think he pops up on this forum, but a soundguy from DC moved there many years ago and from what I hear has done pretty darn well working there. I worked along aside a Paris mixer ten years ago, who had to augment his income doing repairs and gear maintenance at a rental house!

Now that would be a very cool move...

Is there work in Paris? I don't think he pops up on this forum, but a soundguy from DC moved there many years ago and from what I hear has done pretty darn well working there. I worked along aside a Paris mixer ten years ago, who had to augment his income doing repairs and gear maintenance at a rental house!

Now that would be a very cool move...

That's Ed Jennings who moved from DC to Paris He's been back here a lot lately, but I'm not sure if it's always been to work. I saw him a couple of months ago.

It's never come up, but I expect Ed does OK there. When he first went over it was hard to stay in touch with the states or cost a fair amount. Much simpler in this age, with Google Phone, etc.

Best regards,

Jim

Alaska. I was born and raised in Alaska, worked a few years in LA and now work mainly in NYC. I just spent the past 3 months in Alaska, where there is a gold rush of work in several industries, which is why Discovery shoots 20 shows here. I just spent the past month working at the Arctic Circle, on the Alaska/Canada border, where there is a massive gold rush going on. (Gold Rush Alaska shoots near Dawson City Canada, where I spent some fine party days.) The past 3 months weren't spend doing Production Sound, I had the opportunity to survey and log the Alaska Canada border for 100 miles on a sweet federal contract.

If you like the outdoors and a lot of adventure, Alaska is the last frontier.

Regards,

Joe Pfeil

I'm based in Cape Town South Africa and love it. The industry is still fairly small however and I wouldnt say theres a huge amount of work. Rates are not what I used to get in NYC or whats paid in Europe. We are lucky to get $400 - 450 per day on ENG type gigs but then cost of living is a lot lower too. We have amazing beaches, mountains, winelands etc and a meditteranean type climate. Cape Town remains a popular location for Euro and some US commercials in the summer and we're also playing host to more and more US and UK features and TV series. the movie "Safehouse" being the obvious recent example that was all shot in Cape Town and surrounds.

The downside here is the crime and unemployment. I dont work much in Johannesburg but my friends up there keep busy.. its not a place I would ever consider living myself.

I only have a few ties, some colorful, some dull. I only wear them now to wedding' and funerals. I could easily live my life with no ties since they are so uncomfortable to wear. If I had no ties, I would just spend my time traveling and exploring this great place we call earth. This is one of the reasons I got into this business, to learning new things even when they are in your own back yard.

Scott.....

Happily in that spot now.... Living in AZ, working in LA..... Works very well for me for years..... Maybe a switch in 10 years to someplace like Ventura or Santa Barbera CA. just to make the wife even happier, but I could stay like this for the rest of my life EASILY... Very happy... in all regards.. Work, sport, lifestyle, traffic etc...