Zaxcom- MAXX

glenn

if a 4 ch built in TX is not possible .... maybe let the unit at least can output 4 (independent) ch ? ( from the website says it's only one stereo bus and the TA5 output will duplicated XLR's output signal ?

Yes the aux ta5 will duplicate the XLR bus out. Though you can output 4 direct outs via AES.

Actualsize

Regarding the battery I will post a photo and a link later tonight.

As for return audio Maxx will not be able to receive audio from the ifb 100. Though what you can do is hook up an ERX to your camera return.

The ERX will also give you better reception than the TRX receiver since the ERX has 4 receive antennas vs 2.

Very important thing to know for me: are the four "iso" tracks necessarily Pre fader or can we set them as post ? Certain jobs can ask for post fade tracks (surrounding recordings, wild tracks, ...)

Would be really a pity if it is not possible as I guess it technically nothing to achieve.

Thxs

Best

Simon

would be really nice to have the XLR&TA5 have different user selectable output source(pre/post fader), may consider about it Glenn ?

It doesn't sound like it is going to be user selectable, although that would be nice. It would also be awesome to be able to upgrade from 4 to 8 isos if you get the AES upgrade, but maybe this is a hardware limitation? I'd pay more for more isos. :)

AndyB,

I am not so sure that you can get 6 iso's plus a mix! You might be able to get 4 iso's and a mix on the Maxx, plus send a couple of other iso's to the OPs, but you would need to be using digital IPs as well as analogue.... Nomad would of course do the 6 + mix thing easily!!

Kindest,

sb

Yes, I am aware of that. Thanks. I was talking about adding another recorder to the bag. Probably will never happen, if I did often I would buy a Nomad for sure. Most of the ENG work I do is relatively simple.

(When I'm doing EFP, I don't ALWAYS need a wireless "send" or hop... just sayin'...)

When you do EFP are you still using wireless mics? Do you by chance own Zaxcom wireless?

Might not be what you are looking for, but if your bag used a QRX as a receiver you would have a little IFB in the bag. The IFB upgrade on the QRX can dish out the received audio, or an external feed. That external feed is theoretically the monitor out (or headphone jack) on the camera, but it could be the mono out of your Maxx, or whatever else makes you happy.

I asked about this a while back when I thought about using a QRX on my cart to receive body pack(s) and dabble in Zaxcom IFB. I was thinking I could feed the external input of the IFB board of the QRX with an output of my Fusion. The biggest difference between that and the normal configuration of using an IFB100 was that I would probably want some sort of amp on the IFB... but I was told it would work.

Actualsize

Regarding the battery I will post a photo and a link later tonight.

As for return audio Maxx will not be able to receive audio from the ifb 100. Though what you can do is hook up an ERX to your camera return.<br />

The ERX will also give you better reception than the TRX receiver since the ERX has 4 receive antennas vs 2.

Yeah, and the ERX sounds way, way better than the TRX return. Still, I'm surprised that they would have that functionality in a TRX, and not in the Maxx. Looks like my SD302/TRX combo (which I never use) will remain intact for gigs where I need to be lightweight. Thankfully the Nomad really is quite light itself, and It's been my daily horse since I got it.

Thanks for posting the link to the battery. I've really needed a rechargeable solution for my RX900

Is there some correlation to 257ish posts about a mixer/recorder that doesn't even exist yet and fanboys who aren't working?

Go team Z promo dept

Scott Harber CAS

I've worked the past 3 days, all on different jobs, yet I was somehow able to post 100 words on a message board. Flexing my superior intellect and multitasking skills I am. Man, I amaze even myself sometime :blink:

I am still curious to find out about the ability to auto load from RF once the stereo transmitter option is installed. I'm completely on board with the explanation of why there is not an IFB transmitter option for the unit, but I'm still very curious about the IFB receiving, since they are able to fit that into such tiny (trx transmitters) units.

While my combo of my 302 trx900AA is a great B-unit to my Nomad, the dynamics on the Maxx will be so much better than the 302 (if it's like the Nomad) that it will be a very compelling option. However, I don't know if I'm ready to abandon the auto load feature. It really bails me out on run and gun shooting, and adds a serious level of confidence to going wireless to camera.

-Mike

... the dynamics on the Maxx will be so much better than the 302 ...

-Mike

When it hits the recording media it'll have the same dynamics as any other recorder. Neverclip only taking away the possibility of clipping the input. You still have to tame the signal before you hit an output or record bus.

Mark O.

Hi Mike,

The way to go is with Maxx and a QRX100 camera mounted receiver with IFB option. The QRX100 will receive 2 channels of audio and time code from Maxx. The QRX100 will then rebroadcast the production audio via the internal IFB transmitter with time code to any number of ERX2 receivers providing IFB monitoring and time code transmission to other cameras.

Broadcasting IFB from the camera will provide excellent range as the IFB transmitter is in the best position to transmit from the camera.

Glenn

There's a few issues with this workflow (cause I've used it from time to time).

In order to "rebroadcast" the TC and Audio to additional cameras from the QRX100:

1. The camera which the QRX is with must always be on, or QRX is always on.

2. Must always be in IFB range

This is at times a problem when camera A (QRX), wants to shut down to take a break, while cam B (ERX) is going to continue doing something else of which would still need proper sound to. My 50% solution to these instances is to have the return set to QRX audio, so if the camera shuts down and I'm drawing power from the camera's battery, the QRX stays on to broadcast TC and Audio to whatever, but hopefully it's all within the short range of the 50mW IFB Tx of the QRX100. If it's a single camera broadcasting to those just wanting to monitor, well this "should" work out well.... given all are within range.

When it hits the recording media it'll have the same dynamics as any other recorder. Neverclip only taking away the possibility of clipping the input. You still have to tame the signal before you hit an output or record bus.

Mark O.

The input stage of the Nomad has much more dynamic range than the 302, and the limiters implemented on the Nomad are much more effective, adjustable, and transparent. Plus, I've listened to signals that hit digital zero on the Nomad and the unit actually does a good job of leveling off the signal with very little artifacts. I can effectively capture extremely dynamic program material on my Nomad that would distort on any of my analog mixers. This is why I would personally say the dynamics are superior.

The input stage of the Nomad has much more dynamic range than the 302.

I can effectively capture extremely dynamic program material on my Nomad that would distort on any of my analog mixers. This is why I would personally say the dynamics are superior.

Maybe!

See my posts #204 and #207 where I asked Glenn to clarify things, and basically got no reply. I also texted to the live web stream yesterday asking what the input noise and max level inputs were and was inexplicably told that it was irrelevant !!

The reason I ask these is that THESE ARE WHAT DETERMINE INPUT DYNAMIC RANGE!!

If you simply want a higher clip point then put an attenuator in front of your mic amp. It won't alter the dynamic range of the input but it will raise the clip point.

It is all very confusing what with 'not needing trims' but having AutoTrim which isn't automatic (you have to turn two knobs), and limiters which are 'distorting' but the Nomad has input limiters, output limiters and card limiters and NeverClip which will still clip the later stages if you don't turn the fader down ??

Maybe get a response this time?

To reiterate ..

What is the maximum mic level input?

What is the Ein for the input stage at the same gain as this max input level refers to?

These are very basic questions and Zaxcom must know the answers to state an input dynamic range of 137dB.

To reiterate ..

"Neverclip is unique and patent pending so you will need to wait till the patent issues for the exact method to be made public. You can search the many previous explanations and user testimonials to see it is the real deal."

Because this process is so different from conventional design the only comparaitve specification we can give for now is the input dynamic range of 137dB. If you want to call me I would be happy to talk to you about it.

Glenn

I personally dont care about the numbers or how it works. All I know and care about is that it works and by the way in my opinion it works well.

And why the curiosity on how it works. It is patent pending so why would any one apply for a patent on something that doesnt works.

Thanks Glenn, I do appreciate the offer and I'm happy that you appear to have accepted that my nosiness is nothing more than just that. I will respect your preference not to go into specifics on a public forum at this stage, and if I may, I would love to discuss it further with you at the IBC in September. (You are going??)

Rob

There's a few issues with this workflow (cause I've used it from time to time).

In order to "rebroadcast" the TC and Audio to additional cameras from the QRX100:

1. The camera which the QRX is with must always be on, or QRX is always on.

2. Must always be in IFB range

This is at times a problem when camera A (QRX), wants to shut down to take a break, while cam B (ERX) is going to continue doing something else of which would still need proper sound to. My 50% solution to these instances is to have the return set to QRX audio, so if the camera shuts down and I'm drawing power from the camera's battery, the QRX stays on to broadcast TC and Audio to whatever, but hopefully it's all within the short range of the 50mW IFB Tx of the QRX100. If it's a single camera broadcasting to those just wanting to monitor, well this "should" work out well.... given all are within range.

Good points.

The QRX is external powered, so I wonder if there is some way to make a 3rd party cable with an A/B power source so it would draw power from the camera until that drops, then switch to a little external battery. Because it's external power, this wouldn't be a mod inside the QRX (or necessarily by Zaxcom at all), but in some form of a cable or battery mount.

At one point there was a question if the ERX software could have some saved frequencies that users could somehow flip between. Being producers, logging PAs etc it would have to be something simple (like using the up/down buttons). That way they could monitor multiple cameras. That would allow production people to monitor any of the sources. That would be useful if the ERX signal comes from multiple bags or cameras. This is pretty much a reality TV (and doc?) thing, but there is a demand for it. If it's possible in the software, it would be a great feature. That would also solve your powered down camera issue.