Zaxcom- MAXX

glenn

Definite mistake to omit Zaxnet from the Maxx.

As a Nomad owner I think I've used all 6 channels maybe once or twice over the last 6 months and even then it was just to back up other channels. Typically it'll be 3, maybe 4. More often I just use 2 channels. However I ALWAYS have Zaxnet running.

Seems short sighted to me as a Maxx owner will not buy ERX receivers or Zaxnet enabled transmitters.

Seriously hope this gets changed before it comes to market.

See, I own a Nomad6 and could use more channels on many jobs. Jobs workflows are all over the place, but I think I use my hop more than my Zaxnet, so overall I think the built-in hop would be more useful to me. The thinking is that the QRX of your hop will transmit Zaxnet and you get both in one package. I have done a bunch of bag jobs where I am only sending scratch to cameras, so that's a case where the Nomad setup would work better. I am not using Zaxnet for IFB (yet?), but more of a camera reference track and maybe TC. I have done a few shoots with one real camera and a 5D. That's a perfect case for the QRX on the camera sending Zaxnet audio to the ERX on the 5D.

The reality is that we (collectively) have an almost infinite number of ways we work.

See, I own a Nomad6 and could use more channels on many jobs. Jobs workflows are all over the place, but I think I use my hop more than my Zaxnet, so overall I think the built-in hop would be more useful to me. The thinking is that the QRX of your hop will transmit Zaxnet and you get both in one package. I have done a bunch of bag jobs where I am only sending scratch to cameras, so that's a case where the Nomad setup would work better. I am not using Zaxnet for IFB (yet?), but more of a camera reference track and maybe TC. I have done a few shoots with one real camera and a 5D. That's a perfect case for the QRX on the camera sending Zaxnet audio to the ERX on the 5D.

The reality is that we (collectively) have an almost infinite number of ways we work.

I agree. For me, a majority of the time I'm using my QRX, not my ERXs. The Maxx will be welcome.

Exactly. Your work is different to my work. So to think that EVERY user who just wants 4 channels won't have any use for Zaxnet is short sighted.

I don't really see the big deal though, why not add it in as an option and charge extra for it? Glenn would get more of my money. Where it stands now, I'll be keeping my money though.

I'm not saying that at all. My *GUESS* is that they picked one and went for it. It would be great if it was a configurable option. As an end user I know as much as you, but I'm not sure that it's possible to switch the hardware at this point in the process. I would assume the things that go into putting a TRX style transmitter is different than a Zaxnet transmitter. In a perfect world it would be great if Zaxnet is bundled, and the camera hop is an optional module, or both were optional.

As somebody that uses the Zaxcom hop, I love the idea of a built-in module because I find the STA150/TRX900 thing great, but a bit clunky. The RF bleed doesn't seem to mess me up, but the cables coming out of different sides of the module is messy and I am always worried about jacking up the cables. That's why I like it being built in. I can absolutely see your Zaxnet stance though. On something like a 5D job where a ERX/ERXTC to camera(s) would be perfect, and no hop would be used, the Maxx leaves me in a situation where I would have to buy the IFB100. I really don't want to spend $1,200 on an IFB100. That's why I never got one for my Fusion (especially because I already own Comteks and G2s). The Nomad having Zaxnet built-in is what got me to really take it for a spin. It's making me want a set of Zaxcom bodypacks even more than I did.

Exactly. Your work is different to my work. So to think that EVERY user who just wants 4 channels won't have any use for Zaxnet is short slighted.

This has been addressed before, but it is impossible to please everyone and it is unreasonable to think that they were trying to please EVERY user. There is always going to be someone who is complaining about why 'A' and not 'B' but there are plenty of people that are happy about 'A' over 'B'. Everyone cannot be pleased at the same time.

As far as why not both, I think it was mentioned that it was a hardware limitation but I could be wrong. Maybe in a future product.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would buy this if they would allow proper file naming scheme like sound devices. Comon sound devices release a 332!

Yeah, it should be an option in the Nomad very soon. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in the Maxx software too.

I've never had a complaint about the "classic" Zaxcom naming scheme.

I did kind of like the Fostex optional filename that was date-time.wav when I was recording ambience or music or something. In a way I almost do it with Zaxcom because I *usually* make my folder name the date (say, 01DEC) so files are 01DEC001.wav etc. Combine a sound report if I want the actual time a track was recorded and how long it is.

A 332 would either be a lot bigger than the current 302, or maybe use the 552 style recorder that doesn't let you name files anyway.

I don't doubt that Sound devices could build something similar, within reason. The thing is the 664 is an analog mixer from input to output with a tap for recording. Almost like they combined the 442/744T into one beast. Analog mixers have not gotten a whole lot smaller over time, so I don't know if they could keep the same sound of a 302, in the same approx size and magically throw a recorder in it.

I think that's why the 552 recording is relatively simple. It's practically an H1 crammed into a 442 that they ALSO added an extra channel into. I'm sure they saw how people were using it for a lot more than a safety recording for wireless hops and took the thing up a notch. Maybe I am wrong, but at the introduction I got the feeling it was intended as a backup for wireless camera hops, and not as a primary recording. That's why it was theoretically TC stamped and didn't need track naming options.

Is there any particular reason that Zaxcom have the 7 character limit for naming folders? I really liked the 'daily folder' creation on the 788 and while I can name folders 01Dec for example, I can't actually use 01/12/12 as a date due to the character limit. I find this equally frustrating when creating other folder names that are not date related.

Is there any particular reason that Zaxcom have the 7 character limit for naming folders? I really liked the 'daily folder' creation on the 788 and while I can name folders 01Dec for example, I can't actually use 01/12/12 as a date due to the character limit. I find this equally frustrating when creating other folder names that are not date related.

how bout you remove the slashes?

how bout you remove the slashes?

Well, yes, although that makes a list of dated folders on a long shoot much less clearly labelled. I'm not sure if slashes are a problem for file and folder names in general, but even a '.' gives you too many characters. Seven characters is incredibly limiting. Is there a theory behind this?

" Is there a theory behind this? "

"they" want to infuriate you.

well that's a theory...

I'm sure if you <cap> they would provide a touch more insight, but ...

(ready for this..?)

I'm going to equate this with the Y2K problem: available spaces!

and as JP is about to mention, it is probably an OS limitation; we are still living with legacy limitations from older OS's, including Linux (family), common in special purpose computers

Edited by studiomprd

If I remember right it has to do with legacy editing systems. Your file names are: your folder name + 001.wav

The characters plus the ones used for the file number were the limit for file names on older operating systems. It's the computer, not Zaxcom's gear. Old versions of windows maybe? If I remember right, on import it would cut off "extra" characters from the end, so the file was no longer a .wav (it was a .w or something).

BTW you can't use a slash. When a (unix/Linux) computer is told to look for a file, the "/" is part of a path. so 03/12/2012 to a computer is "go to folder "03" then go into folder "12" then go into folder"2012" then....... trouble.

For example on my home computer files would be home/johnpaul/documents/invoices/2012DEC03.pdf meaning a PDF file is located in the folder named "invoices".

for folder names I often do something like 03DEC. I use the day first because the files are going to be named something like "03DEC001.wav" and "03DEC002.wav" otherwise the files are DEC03001.wav

You can always use a "." or "-" or I think even "_" are all valid if you want to use a DEC03-001.wav naming plan.