Zaxcom- MAXX

glenn

• 3 weeks later...

Hey people just got my maxx and i`m super perplexed. Got 2 questions.

1- what am i doing wrong when i ouput files using zax convert and i hear nothing but static?

2-why if i have a 4 gb card does it show i only have 2gb free when

i haven`t recorded anything?.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk HD

The Maxx records both BWAV and MARF files at the same time so the media is divided in two when it is formatted by MAXX.

You will need a new version of Zaxconvert to output files from the MAXX MARF recordings. Use the BWAV output until you get it loaded.

Glenn

I see. I need to get a bigger card but for now i only have a 4gb. However given its split in half shouldn't`t i get more than 54 minutes of record time? In my experience 24/28 takes about 1 gig per hour. Is there a lot of space taken up by proprietary system files are some thing. This just doesn't seem right.

I see. I need to get a bigger card but for now i only have a 4gb. However given its split in half shouldn't`t i get more than 54 minutes of record time? In my experience 24/28 takes about 1 gig per hour. Is there a lot of space taken up by proprietary system files are some thing. This just doesn't seem right.

48/24 wav files are about 8.25MB per minute per track.  So if you are recording 6 tracks, you end up close to 3 gigs in an hour of recording.

"Is there a lot of space taken up by proprietary system files are some thing. This just doesn't seem right."

There's nothing proprietary, it is just that the one card in MAXX makes 2 separate types of recording and MARF recording format has to be in its own partition. The way it works is that the card has to be formatted into 2 partitions for this process to work and the MARF partition will be a fixed split using up half the capacity of the card. So, if you typically in the past have found that you only need an 8gb card, for example, with MAXX you should get a 16gb card. This is how I understand it and it doesn't seem to be such as big deal. Using a larger capacity card with MAXX will give you all the benefits of MARF and the BWF files you need to deliver as well, all with the same recording time you're used to (providing you use a larger capacity card). 

"Is there a lot of space taken up by proprietary system files are some thing. This just doesn't seem right."

There's nothing proprietary, it is just that the one card in MAXX makes 2 separate types of recording and MARF recording format has to be in its own partition. The way it works is that the card has to be formatted into 2 partitions for this process to work and the MARF partition will be a fixed split using up half the capacity of the card. So, if you typically in the past have found that you only need an 8gb card, for example, with MAXX you should get a 16gb card. This is how I understand it and it doesn't seem to be such as big deal. Using a larger capacity card with MAXX will give you all the benefits of MARF and the BWF files you need to deliver as well, all with the same recording time you're used to (providing you use a larger capacity card).

+1

Not a big deal IMO. It's how the unit works.

All Zaxcom recorders will record MARF. There is no way to shut this off - and you would not want to.

The MARF or Mobil Audio Recording Format will assure you that no data is ever lost if the recorder ever looses power or there is some other issue.

MARF files do not need to be closed so as opposed to other recording formats you will not loose any data from the last time the files was closed till where the issue occurred.

Getting used to maxx and for the most part really liking it. Had a strange experience where i got a high pitch hum in one of my recordings. But to be honest i cant say what the cause of it was. I'm thinking my attenuation settings might be the cause or possibly this cheap battery i was using or even the microphones i was using. All i know i tried to replicate it and i couldn't.

What kind of CF card? what firmware? You should join the zaxcom forum.

Getting used to maxx and for the most part really liking it. Had a strange experience where i got a high pitch hum in one of my recordings. But to be honest i cant say what the cause of it was. I'm thinking my attenuation settings might be the cause or possibly this cheap battery i was using or even the microphones i was using. All i know i tried to replicate it and i couldn't.

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I had an issue with my Maxx yesterday: all the takes from one of the scenes I had recorded came out with a pitch shift (afterwards I figured it was about 2 semitones). All the segments recorded before and after this particular scene are perfectly ok. No changes made to the settings during the day, 24bit - 48kHZ recording, I used a Transcend 16gb 133x CF.

I've also tried to convert MARF with ZaxConvert afterwards but no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what could have happened?

cheers

is the timing correct but the pitch is different?

Hi all, I had an issue with my Maxx yesterday: all the takes from one of the scenes I had recorded came out with a pitch shift (afterwards I figured it was about 2 semitones). All the segments recorded before and after this particular scene are perfectly ok. No changes made to the settings during the day, 24bit - 48kHZ recording, I used a Transcend 16gb 133x CF.

I've also tried to convert MARF with ZaxConvert afterwards but no luck.

Does anyone have any suggestion on what could have happened?

cheers

The ghost in the machine

+1 for what zerascal said.

It sounds like a 44.1 khz issue thats causing the pitch shift, I would check your files with wave agent and make sure the problem isn't on your end. I seem to remember something like this happening to me for only 1 take last year [with the maxx]. Super easy to fix.