Zaxcom- MAXX

glenn

Panning switches are not a good idea for Maxx. They would preclude the possibility of storing and recalling the state of the recorder.

Having a single place to see the pan and to quickly make the change in the home menu has worked out perfectly for our Nomad customers. Pan functions are also cross faded so there is never a click or pop when they are changed.

Glenn

I am stunned. Surprised at how quickly after Nomad this is coming (thinking about it, quickly after Nomad's release, not so quickly after Nomad's announement... ;)

Very competitive price point and I suppose this will be successful in the direct competition with ENG-mixers.

EDIT: putting the antenna jack on the front (top) is a very wise decision. Would have been nice for Nomad, too.

It is however a direct replacement for a small 2 to 4 (or even 5) channel eng mixers,

Hi Glenn, Thanks for the info on your new product, but could you clarify a little more on how does your 4 channel input is able to be a replacement for a 5 channel mixer? Is it that one of your cam returns can be used as an input like your fusion? Will there be any limitations to this "5th" input compared to the other 4 inputs on features?

Thanks for clarifying.

Lawrence

Very, very interresting product Glenn. I've been looking forward to something like this for a long time.

A few questions:

1. If you get the "6-channel recording" feature, is it then possible to only record the 4 iso tracks and no mix tracks?

2. When you say the tx can transmit at 10 or 100 mw, is there any middle ground at, say, 50 mw, or are those the only two options? In europe 50 mw is our legal limit, and 10 seems a little low.

3. Is it possible to send 4 channels wirelessly to camera using the built in tx and an external zaxcom tx plugged into the other AES output?

That is fantastic! This sounds almost too good to be true. Will the tx option be available with transmission power limited to 50 mW for use in Europe?

(Edit: Oops, didn't read the full thread.. adjustable from 10 to 100 mW, I note.)

Edited by api

Hi Glenn, Thanks for the info on your new product, but could you clarify a little more on how does your 4 channel input is able to be a replacement for a 5 channel mixer? Is it that one of your cam returns can be used as an input like your fusion? Will there be any limitations to this "5th" input compared to the other 4 inputs on features?

Thanks for clarifying.

Lawrence

I'm thinking the mention of the 5-ch mixer was taking a little shot at the 552. But from what I gather, it's a 4-ch mixer, but with many more features, including recording a mix + ISOs, etc.

If you need 5-ch, then go up to the Nomad.

What I like is that it seems the features of this unit step right up to the features of the Nomad, which steps right up to the Fusion then Deva line. Pretty much covers the needs of all types of mixer/recordists.

Well, as one who was somewhat involved in the creation of Nomad, and have also had more than a couple of conversations with Glenn regarding Maxx - I am glad that the cat is now out of the bag!!!!!

As Glenn says, Maxx is NOT a Mini Nomad - if any comparison should be made I think it would be fair to say that Maxx is more akin to a Nomad Lite (forgive me Glenn if I am out of order).

I believe that the depth dimension is rather shorter than that of a Nomad - this was certainly what Glenn and I had discussed. Glenn's thought was that if folks want the extended side bars as per Nomad, that would 'protect' the analogue IP sockets, then these would be available as a bolt on part (again Glenn, correct me if I am wrong). We are talking about a machine which is not far off the size of a 302 (apologies to SD - I dont know of any other similar box that everyone will 'understand' the size of). Bear in mind, however, that the analogue IP sockets face down off the bottom of the machine, so the depth measurement might need a degree of interpretation!!

I understand that the transmitter option, and the AES option, are dealer fittable, i.e. no trip back to Zaxcom is required. I gather that the AES option is a plug in board, and the transmitter option is similar, but plugs onto the AES board, hence you need the AES board in order to have the transmitter option.

Clearly there s a lot of aspects of Maxx that will look familiar if you have worked or played with a Nomad, but it is genuinely a different machine. The routing will be somewhat simpler (less of it) though many other aspect will feel familiar. If you can work a Nomad, then you can work a Maxx. More to the point - if you learn to work a Maxx, then you'll be pretty much up to speed with how to work a Nomad, you will just find more options available on the Nomad.

I hope that the above is useful...

and kindest regards,

Simon B