Noise-Cancelling Headphones....again.....

sergiofucchi

I've used QC2 and QC15 on a feature with great success. The guilt of using consumer headphones though outweighed the wonderful sound they created and I eventually got a stellar pair of Sennheiser HD-25II's, which are pretty awesome. One major difference that makes the Bose an iffy choice is the weak build quality. You can only drop kick them 11 feet before they break!

i use bose noise canceling headphone when filming in a noise street or outside somewhere very noisy, use 7506 when ambient is quiet. I had remote audio 7506 noise reduce headphone too,but my head get hurt a lot after wearing it whole day. Bose is lighter.

what u record won't be changed by what u wear on your head if you don't EQ that much on set. But you do can tell the director if a noise been recorded into a take or not right away.

The remote audio HN7506 is NOT a noise cancelling pair of headphones.

The BOSE has some electronic shit to out-of-phase stuff etc, and it is NOT a true rendition of reality.

Oh man!!!

As opposed to standard headphones where outside noise from set is in phase rather than cancelled? The sound at your head is not what you want to hear, so I'm not sure that cancelling it would do you any harm, especially when the alternative are:

A: allow noise-on-set to drown out the sound you're recording, allowing you to miss noise on your mics.

B: crank up your headphones so that your hearing has a nice Bose high freq roll off in a few years.

C: actively cancel low freqs when needed to lower the noise floor and listen to the mic noise without as much competition from the noise at your head.

In an ideal world you would be listening to pro monitors in a control room, but as a location guy, you're using a lot of tools to pull off the best recording you can.

Since when was the 7506 an accurate rendition of reality anyhow? No soundguy I know of has been blasted for wearing a pair.

But you do can tell the director if a noise been recorded into a take or not right away.

I have to admit that I would like to try, that's an interesting point of view. But in an another way It's very difficult for me to change my headphones model (HD25).

In a noisy location in your headphones you hear the sound you record plus the ambient noise passing thru the headphones. Is it better or worse than, the sound you record plus an artificial noise reduction ?

I have some active noise canceling headphones too, but not the Bose. I use them when flying, and they do a great job in allowing me to use much less volume on whatever I'm listening to. HOWEVER, when the program material through the wire is the same as what is being picked up by the microphone on the outside of the headphones... The "noise cancelation" functions don't really work any more. The phase swapping needs to shift against what will pass through the headphone body... And if you are listening to the same thing coming through the wire, it doesn't work.

Better than the Remote Audio model (lighter and cheaper anyway) are the "Extreme Isolation" headphones that Pro-sound.com sells. I picked up a set of the 29-dB reducers, and they block enough that I can reduce my headphone volume too, so I don't have to worry about hurting my career options.

No highs, no lows... must be Bose.

I am a big fan of Bose speakers and Bose systems. The 802 speakers with the EQ module before the power amp are fantastic and natural, and gave me great on-set playback of 1742 music videos; lots of highs, lots of lows, in the right proportions. The Bose noise canceling headphones are fantastic for personal listening in an airplane or car. We've modified them for camera operators' intercoms for shooting loud concerts. Bose products are well engineered with unique functionality.

However, the Bose noise canceling headphones should not be used as reference monitors, because their reference is always changing.

Glen Trew

bought a pair of bose comp speakers and sold them off promptly, too much compression on the low end.

I swear to god, Glenn Sanders uses the exact same speakers I have for his Zaxcom demos, and they sound fine. I mentioned that to him and he commented that they were the perfect lightweight speakers to take around to dealers and conventions for demos, and don't sound too bad. Note that the later Bose computer speakers (the gray or silver ones) are not as good -- I think they got cheaper and crappier as time went on.

In fairness to Mr. Trew and others who like Bose, my main beef with the company is that I think there are far better products for the same or less money out there, and I think they have a very hyped reputation and marginal construction quality. Do a Google search -- I think a lot of people feel the same way. I'm also dismayed at Bose's killer marketing campaign for their foul theater-in-a-box systems. I also think there's a big lower-mid response hole with some of their satellite/subwoofer systems.

But there are worse speakers out there, and the top-end units aren't horrible.

I have a pair of Bose headphones and absolutely love them. For consumer listening they are wonderful. I would never use them for reference or work under any circumstance, but when I just want to kick back and listen to great music I reach for those headphones as often as possible.

Slightly off topic but I agree with Vin

Genelec 6010

Big sound for small speaker for small price

Not so sure about noise canceling headphones,

But if it is going to allow a lower listening level in high level environments and help save your hearing..... Then perhaps.

Otherwise hd25s for me.

• 2 weeks later...