Source for large selection of high quality components in LA?

Mick Davies

I'm replacing some cheap aluminum radial caps in an LCD monitor. I know about Electronic City in Burbank but I seem to recall looking for some mic components there in the past and they didn’t have some of the resistors or capacitors I needed so I ended up going online for them. I'd rather not wait for delivery and, instead, be able to walk in and buy locally. Being able to talk to helpful, knowlegable, staff is another reason I'd like to stay locaI.

Thanks in advance.

Mick, i regularly use newark mouser etc to deliver to Bombay, India! I'm sure you can get even overnight shipping from them, right?

I know the good thing about a local store, but most times, they simply dont hold the components i need (out here), maybe you DO have some local stores out there that do...

Jeff, Vin, thanks for the input. I called Pacific Radio and was told they don't carry electronic components anymore and I really wanted to stay local. Fry's didn't have them so I finally found a place in Van Nuys, All Electronics. They are surplus, however, so "high quality" will be hit and miss. Also, most of their caps appeared to be Nichicons that could be the old problematic ones from a few years back. I steered clear of those just to be safe and found a few better quality ones that I needed. Very cool place. Good staff. Highly recommended if you want something straight away. Reminded me of the kind of electronic outfits that seemed to be everywhere in the 70's when I was a kid in Miami.

My monitor is back up and running for less than $2.00 in caps. Way better than $200.00 for a new monitor and one less bit of landfill.

Robert, I'm a huge fan of repairing stuff instead of buying new. There is no good reason consumer products shouldn't last longer than they do, I mean, for want of a couple of dollars worth of better capacitors this monitor would have been fine for quite awhile. I have another monitor just like it so I guess I'll be repairing that soon enough. Good practice for when I end up booming without a utility in Kamchatka someday. ;)

TSG, I find Fry's to be a neccesary evil sometimes. They are atrocious.

Tom, I steered clear of the Nichicons at All Electronics only due to the fact that it is a surplus store so who knows when those caps were manufactured. I understand that Panasonic is solid; the "kit" I ordered from "LCD ALternatives" in Stevenson Ranch, just in case I couldn't find anything, included Panasonic. I'm happy I was able to stay local for everything. I'll look into Mouser instead of Digikey, however, if I need mail order in the future, thanks.