Need some advice. Noob to production mixing on indie set.

bluemalice

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I was unsure if used equipment like this was typically a reliable way to go or not. I've read that the 302 mixer is built like a tank so I figured it might be alright used but didn't know about the other stuff. I'll check that out.

While new is nice you'll probably find that something like a well-taken-care-of SD302, when bought from a reputable source, will be just as good as a new one. Same with good mics and recorders. Gear from companies like Sound Devices tend to hold their value well so you could probably buy a s/h 302 for $900-ish and then sell it for almost the same price if/when you decide to upgrade/give up.

I still can't wrap my head around why anyone would waste so much money on a hobby without trying to learn something first.

It's like going out and buying a $1000 RC plane, then asking someone on line how to fly it, then being shocked when it crashes to the ground if you're lucky enough to get it up in the air to begin with. Then saying, "What I really need is a better plane with a better remote." Then you dump your busted $1000 plane and buy a $3000 plane which you also won't be able to fly.

But I suppose if it makes you happy, and you wife and kids and other financial and time obligations are ok with you throwing money down the drain, then who are we to stop you.

Robert

What if... bluemalice is really... THE SENATOR?

My head just exploded!!!!!!!! LOL... Very funny..... The initials ARE BM..... ;D

I can hardly wait..... The green one liners are about to fly......

BM.... see you finally took the nice advice given and CALLED one of the reputable companies..... Now, you never asked for their phone numbers or to go that route, but at least you took the advice....

You have had so much advice here, and much of it both well intended and good....

Now to this point....

BM

"I'm sorry if you think that amateurs can't create anything of value, but you would be wrong in that assumption."

Value is relative.... to whom, or what ...... that's a strange comment...

By the way, for @1200, in a few months you can buy a new MAXX from ZAX and have both a mixer and a recorder.... and a nice one... it will hold it's value very well and you will be riding the wave of the latest gear...

It's like going out and buying a $1000 RC plane, then asking someone on line how to fly it, then being shocked when it crashes to the ground if you're lucky enough to get it up in the air to begin with. Then saying, "What I really need is a better plane with a better remote." Then you dump your busted $1000 plane and buy a $3000 plane which you also won't be able to fly.

Robert

LmAO! I did exactly this and still have the airplanes pieces in my garage. :(

I play paintball. I chuckle when I see guys out there with their obviously new gear. $1200 Electrc guns, shooting 15 bps

And their shock when I take them out with my old time pneumatic automag with a couple of shots.

Because I've now been playing for about 8 years or so.

Everything's been done before. :)

This hasn't and it exists nowhere in this form. I'm not talking about what we're shooting or how we're shooting or the story or any of that. This is just experience to get to the other stuff eventually. I'm promise you, it hasn't been done.

This is why people keep telling you things that you "already know" but "didn't ask to be told" again...

...You don't actually know anything.

You assume way too much every time you respond. You have no idea what you're talking about with this one.

While new is nice you'll probably find that something like a well-taken-care-of SD302, when bought from a reputable source, will be just as good as a new one. Same with good mics and recorders. Gear from companies like Sound Devices tend to hold their value well so you could probably buy a s/h 302 for $900-ish and then sell it for almost the same price if/when you decide to upgrade/give up.

Yeah a lot of the stuff on that list they had used/on consignment. Good prices :)

I'm promise you, it hasn't been done.

Blue Malice how old are you bud...ever heard the quote, "We stand on the shoulders of giants? or We awoke a sleeping giant? idk something like that" Anyway both are old quotes, hopefully you understand them by the end of today. "Ignorance is bliss" followed by Don Davis Matrix harp glissando

I still can't wrap my head around why anyone would waste so much money on a hobby without trying to learn something first.

But I suppose if it makes you happy, and you wife and kids and other financial and time obligations are ok with you throwing money down the drain, then who are we to stop you.

Robert

This doesn't apply here because you have your facts out of whack. Here's what is actually happening.

The two shoots were done using an H4N and a Rode shotgun mic on a boom. Both were done so badly, they had to be completely re-shot. I was NOT there for these. They were using what little knowledge they did have to try and get it right and it didn't work out at all.

I came to "help" with the sound because I've done a little sound recording in the past in other formats and knew I couldn't do any worse than what happened on their two previous shoots. We re-did the shoots, this time with me handling audio. It was all pretty good this time around and very usable. Scenes are finished, edited and it's fine.

I had so much fun doing it that I decided to really get into and start learning what I could to make it even better and give more options in post. So here I am asking the pros what they do and learning whatever way I can via the internet for now and my experiences on our set.

I have a lot of disposable income. It's not a big deal for me to spend this money on this stuff for a hobby. Money is relative and meaningless if you don't use it for something you enjoy.

So no, this is not like buying a thousand dollar rc plane, crashing it and thinking I can get a 3000 one and it will make everything ALL better. Frankly, it's a little insulting for people to keep saying that because that's not what's occurring here at all and I have no delusions that I'll Mr. Pro Audio by spending a bunch of money...

And also, who the eff are you to decide that another person is throwing money down the drain just because that's what YOUR opinion is? You state it like it's a fact. I guess there is no one else in the entire world besides you and your "pro" buds that could make any good use of that equipment right? You sound like a total idiot dude.

Blue Malice how old are you bud...ever heard the quote, "We stand on the shoulders of giants? or We awoke a sleeping giant? idk something like that" Anyway both are old quotes, hopefully you understand them by the end of today. "Ignorance is bliss" followed by Don Davis Matrix harp glissando

I'm 34 and trust me, what we're planning is not a new concept but it has not been done in the way we are going to do it. And just so you understand, it's not a money making scheme or some revolutionary thing. It's actually a non-profit thing but we want it to be popular and want to be the first to do it.

I play paintball. I chuckle when I see guys out there with their obviously new gear. $1200 Electrc guns, shooting 15 bps

And their shock when I take them out with my old time pneumatic automag with a couple of shots.

Because I've now been playing for about 8 years or so.

On this side note, my cousin and I both play and use Automags as well :) We've been playing for oh, ever since the first automag came out.

I promise it has all been done, but you just haven't seen all the failures.

Most of us here have been on set with directors who think they have reinvented the wheel. But guess what, they all realize at some point that round is best.

Once in a while a curious audience will embrace a wheel of a different shape, and if your timing is perfect, you might get lucky. But they will always go back to deciding the round wheel is best.

My head just exploded!!!!!!!! LOL... Very funny..... The initials ARE BM..... ;D

I can hardly wait..... The green one liners are about to fly......

BM.... see you finally took the nice advice given and CALLED one of the reputable companies..... Now, you never asked for their phone numbers or to go that route, but at least you took the advice....

You have had so much advice here, and much of it both well intended and good....

Now to this point....

BM

"I'm sorry if you think that amateurs can't create anything of value, but you would be wrong in that assumption."

Value is relative.... to whom, or what ...... that's a strange comment...

By the way, for @1200, in a few months you can buy a new MAXX from ZAX and have both a mixer and a recorder.... and a nice one... it will hold it's value very well and you will be riding the wave of the latest gear...

The comment about value was in response to RPSharman who gave us such gems as, "My advice is this, why waste $X on a hobby with no chance of creating something of quality, when you can spend money hiring some pros and invest in something you can be proud of with the potential of future profit?"

And... "

But I suppose if it makes you happy, and you wife and kids and other financial and time obligations are ok with you throwing money down the drain, then who are we to stop you."

According to him I have ZERO chance of creating anything good and I should just spend that money hiring Him or some other Pro to do it for me which totally defeats the entire purpose of me doing this stuff in the first place... I hate it when people show their stupidity and don't even read the posts. You RPSharman are full of yourself and a troll.

Saying something like if my wife and kids are OK with me throwing money down the drain? Man you really are an assuming asshole. I have plenty of money and my wife is on board. Spending 4500 bucks is not a big deal man.

I promise it has all been done, but you just haven't seen all the failures.

Most of us here have been on set with directors who think they have reinvented the wheel. But guess what, they all realize at some point that round is best.

Once in a while a curious audience will embrace a wheel of a different shape, and if your timing is perfect, you might get lucky. But they will always go back to deciding the round wheel is best.

I'll say this for you again RPSharman since you don't read all the posts before responding, this is not related to recording audio or filming a show or any of that. You people have to STOP ASSUMING things. New things and new ways to do things are invented all the time. Get over yourselves.

<It's actually a non-profit thing but we want it to be popular and want to be the first to do it.>

ka-ching.... eventually?

Any ka-ching will probably come from my cousin writing/directing ventures that I will do sound on for him if he ever makes anything out of it. Other than that, again, I like to learn new stuff so heeeeere we go!

The idea of paying for some classes on specific things is a good one. I'm not sure of the correct outlet for that yet though. Do they offer specific stuff like this at a junior college level? Might be a good idea to take a couple of classes. Basics would be a little too basic for me but something that really ties all of this in with film specifically would be awesome.

The release of the new Zax recorder (when it actually ships) will likely release a tsunami of really good used gear avail for lower prices than ever....just wait!

phil p

Phil that definitely sounds like a good idea, unfortunately I'd like to get started yesterday with this equipment. I think it's going to be plenty fun to warrant the gear purchase :)

You RPSharman are full of yourself and a troll...

...Man you really are an assuming asshole.

BM, you are a split-brained moron with a de-evolved cortex so dessicated, it makes the inane sensibilities scraping around inside of it crumble like aged newspaper.

You came here from out there, RPSharman is a regular here, therefore(and please pay attention because I know we're on our second sentence now and your bandwidth must be stretched as thin as your ability to array discernment)...YOU are the troll.

Have a nice day,

Steven

BM, you are a split-brained moron with a de-evolved cortex so dessicated, it makes the inane sensibilities scraping around inside of it crumble like aged newspaper.

You came here from out there, RPSharman is a regular here, therefore(and please pay attention because I know we're on our second sentence now and your bandwidth must be stretched as thin as your ability to array discernment)...YOU are the troll.

Have a nice day,

Steven

Using vocabulary to try and make yourself sound intelligent does not make what you have to say intelligent.