Apple Sticks It to Samsung

Marc Wielage

I think Steve Jobs would've wanted to move heaven and earth to pull competing smartphones off the market, but I suspect Tim Cook would be willing to make a more reasonable deal.

He just wanted Android destroyed. There was always a rumor that Jobs felt betrayed by bringing Eric Schmidt (of Google) on the board at Apple and that he had deeper knowledge of the iPhone, then magically came out with a damn near copy of iOS.

I don't think Apple sees Microsoft as a threat, and they have always had a weird love/hate rivalry/symbiotic relationship. At one point Microsoft was making bigger profits off Apple computers per year than Apple itself, and they invested a lot of money in Apple when things were looking bleak.

Check the word Monster.... JEFF , Microsoft is not history. 89% of all devices in the world run Microsoft OS.

Although... Apple now has 13.6% of the current U.S. desktop and laptop computer business:

http://www.macrumors...nts-in-3q-2012/

I agree that the Monster Cable company is insane for suing so many other companies just for using the word "monster" in their products. But in Apple's case, they do spend billions of dollars on R&D and patents every year, and they have to protect their work somehow. The question is (as Courtney said), how much of what they do is really unique, vs. stuff that's fairly generic -- like a rounded icon. If you read the lawsuit, you'll find out that one of Apple's argument was an internal Samsung memo where an exec criticized their phones and specifically told engineers to change the Samsung icons "to make them more rounded, shaded, and pleasing, like Apple's iPhone." That was a pretty damning document.

Those numbers mean less and less every year. Everything is changing. For the good of the company, MS has to see the writing on the wall. I think they are investing heavily in tablets because they know it. Look how iPad sales are killing home computer sales. Microsoft is trying to get ahead of it, because that is going to translate into businesses flipping too. Most stuff done by a big power hungry PC in a cubicle could be done with a tablet, and that's a perfect opportunity to flip to another OS (possibly Android).

If you think I'm crazy, go into a new small retail business (especially take-out restaurants) and see how an iPad with a card reader has destroyed expensive proprietary POS systems.

At the corporate level, Microsoft has some good years selling PCs to business, but with the new OS they are trying to make an easy integration of tablets and even phones. The phone thing is interesting because that was something Blackberry owned for years and years. Companies invested a ton making Blackberry integrate with their business, and now RIM is on the ropes. Microsoft doesn't have to have iPhone volumes of sales, but they need to offer a solid product. Probably why they were willing to license key things from Apple and not have their phone tied up in court.

Those numbers mean less and less every year. Everything is changing. For the good of the company, MS has to see the writing on the wall. I think they are investing heavily in tablets because they know it. Look how iPad sales are killing home computer sales.

There's a lot of truth to this. While I still think an iPad isn't powerful enough, for a lot of people, it's all they need -- a way to get on the net, read and write emails, check their bank statement, pay bills, buy and sell stuff on eBay, buy stuff on Amazon, surf the web, play games, buy music, download videos. For many people, that's more than enough.

There's a lot of truth to this. While I still think an iPad isn't powerful enough, for a lot of people, it's all they need -- a way to get on the net, read and write emails, check their bank statement, pay bills, buy and sell stuff on eBay, buy stuff on Amazon, surf the web, play games, buy music, download videos. For many people, that's more than enough.

I worry about the future if pad format devices take over computers. My kids (under 10) need to learn a whole bunch of computer skills that didn't exist when I was younger, and that means using a computer with a keyboard and the full desktop UX (User Experience). The cheapest Apple computer is the MacBook Air at $999. That's stratospheric pricing when you're looking at kids-first-computer. There's no way I'm going let them use a Media consumption Appliance unless it complements their learning needs.

Tom.

I worry about the future if pad format devices take over computers. My kids (under 10) need to learn a whole bunch of computer skills that didn't exist when I was younger, and that means using a computer with a keyboard and the full desktop UX (User Experience). The cheapest Apple computer is the MacBook Air at $999. That's stratospheric pricing when you're looking at kids-first-computer. There's no way I'm going let them use a Media consumption Appliance unless it complements their learning needs.

Tom.

I agree with this, however, the $999. for a MacBook Air (or the $399. for some underpowered less capable PC Notebook wanna be) is still very small compared to what you would have had to buy 5 to 10 years ago for the "kids" to learn on.

" (or the $399. for some underpowered less capable PC Notebook wanna be) "

umm...

underpowered ?? not necessarily, although at the lower price points, you do generally get less computing horse power...

less capable: less than what ?

less capable PC: I'm supposing you are referring to Windows PC's, reminder Apple MacBooks are by definition also PC's,

wanna be... ? highly subjective.

less capable PC: I'm supposing you are referring to Windows PC's, reminder Apple MacBooks are by definition also PC's

Come on, we've had this whole discussion SO many times before. Here is a little test for you to do Senator. Find ten people on the street and ask each of them if they have a computer at home. Then ask them if it is a Mac or a PC. I guarantee you will get answers which validate my long held contention that in the popular vernacular, for at least the last 20 years or so, those that answer they use a PC will be referring to a personal computer running Microsoft Windows operating system. Those that answer they use a Mac will be referring to a personal computer from Apple, a Macintosh using the Mac operating system. Done.

...and by less capable, I was responding to the original post where it is mentioned that "My kids (under 10) need to learn a whole bunch of computer skills that didn't exist when I was younger, and that means using a computer with a keyboard and the full desktop UX (User Experience)" and considering that a less than full featured computer might not be as much help.

Tom.

It's not a flat out replacement by any means. The iPad is still a creative device. There are all sorts of productive apps on it. The photo editing is great, the iWork apps are great etc etc. The only reason I carry a laptop on the road is if I need to do some work on crazy audio file confusion/issues, or connect to a SD 700 series recorder or something.

The Amazon tablet is 100% a consumption device. It's made as a fancy Amazon.com catalog, book reader, video-watcher. I don't mean that as a dig to Amazon, but that's why they can sell it pretty cheap. It's a pipeline into the Amazon world of shopping. They have a very different goal than Apple.

Refurbished computers for kids is the best idea. They will break them, and you can get them for up to 75% off original price(depending on version of course). I just picked up a MacBook, old white ones, for $300!! Still powerful enough to do what is needed today. The speeds and features that are out there today, are far more then most people need. You don't need the latest greatest fastest machines out there.

I need to look at refurbs/ second hand computers again. I was purchasing a Mac Mini for work, and found that they hold their value so well it was a better deal to get a refurb directly off the Apple webstore. Once you get far enough back where prices are better, you find yourself with hardware that won't run the latest Mac operating system version. (shakes fist at Apple) That's not the case with Windows, you just choose how fast/efficient you want your machine to be regardless of whether the OS will allow all of its features to run on it.