sonosax SX62R & SX-R4

LSL

Hello,

I'm looking for input/opinions on the SX62R & or the SX-R4.

I need a 6(with 6 pres) channel recorder that will do 24/192.

I've read the other sonnsax thread but am looking for updated info. I can't "try" one out here in Canada as there isn't a single one in Toronto as far as I know.

Specifically I'm interested in the quality/colour of the pres and how they compare to SD, Zaxx etc.

I'm currently a SD user but unfortunately they don't offer a 6 pre solution that can record at 192 in a single unit.

Thanks,

John

I have the r4. Combined with my 302 it is a great lightweight rig. Even better would be a Sonosax,m32 as a mixer for the direct outs. The r4 is not a mixer - the pots do not go to zero. Strictly a recorder.

It took a while for Sonosax to refine the TC firmware to be stable for all shooting scenarios. Now it is done. Very accurate.

Sounds great - great mic pres - limiters and flexible input routing. Demo it. Let us know what you think.

Wish list - I would have liked a (same footprint but shallower?) add on to provide 4 more identical preamps to make it a completely matched 8 track machine, with ganging etc included. And it might even have been economically feasible had it resembled / replaced the 3 channel mixer that they did bring out?

Jez

Heard that there was an issue where if scene names were changed, it did a full scan of the HDD which takes a short while before you can roll on the R4. Is this still the case, or have more recent firmware updates fixed this?

I have not seen this. I have had no problem changing scene names