302 Mixer being fried by Phantom Power fed into output can this happen?

ProSound

I just got a call from a mixer I rented some equipment to (Thankfully not my 302) and I wanted to ask if this can happen:

He is mixing a low budget feature and is using a Y Cable to split the output of the 302 to send the signal to a Fostex Fr-2 and a HD Camera of some type( I told him this is a bad idea but they did it anyways). Last week he called me and said the 302 mixer was hot to the touch and acting funny so I told him to send it in for repair. According to him the Fr-2 and Camera both had Phantom power on and fried his 302 mixer because phantom power was being sent into the mixer through the output. I told him I wasn't sure this was the issue I would just like to know for my own personal knowledge if this is possible. He recently bought a custom built power system for his package and I told him I thought that was a more likely cause. Any Thoughts?

I just got a call from a mixer I rented some equipment to (Thankfully not my 302) and I wanted to ask if this can happen:

He is mixing a low budget feature and is using a Y Cable to split the output of the 302 to send the signal to a Fostex Fr-2 and a HD Camera of some type( I told him this is a bad idea but they did it anyways). Last week he called me and said the 302 mixer was hot to the touch and acting funny so I told him to send it in for repair. According to him the Fr-2 and Camera both had Phantom power on and fried his 302 mixer because phantom power was being sent into the mixer through the output. I told him I wasn't sure this was the issue I would just like to know for my own personal knowledge if this is possible. He recently bought a custom built power system for his package and I told him I thought that was a more likely cause. Any Thoughts?

I've heard of non-transformer protected mixers like the 302 being affected by phantom power on inputs.  But the 302 getting hot sounds more like a power issue.  Maybe not a short but over voltage?

Philip Perkins

I told him to test it with a volt meter himself the day he called me. He didn't even know what a volt meter was. So I told him to borrow one from someone in G & E and call me back so he did. Then he was using it incorrectly!!! This guy isn't the sharpest tool in the shed at all......

i've had my 302 go down once for that exact reason (hd camera had the phantom on).  i sent it in for repair, and the guys over at pro sound in nyc were super nice and gave me a loaner (i was renting other equipment from them).  the repair involved replacing a few resistors i was told.

-greg-

• 3 years later...

Totally possible.  Had this happen to a 302 owned by a production company I work with often.  Another mixer plugged into the back of the camera and was running mic into the camera.  (Don't know why he was doing that but whatever).  The switches on the back of the camera were switched to mic with 48volt phantom and poof!  302 was really messed up, and if I remember right it was beyond repair.  I don't know how long it took for the damage to occur but it was extensive.

Bernie

I guess I am lucky...the fellows and gals I work with don't bat an eye if I walk over to the camera, flip switches, set TC, etc.  I suspect much like your so called DP they don't have a clue and figure I do!  OH, but get into the drop/nondrop discussion and they light up.