lectrosonic venue system

old school

I have heard lots of good things about the Venue system but have not used it myself. One big advantage, besides the obvious single rack, multiple receiver configuration, it is possibly a very good thing that you can purchase the Venue rack and then start adding receiver modules as you need them. Maybe a Venue rack with just 2 receivers to start out and then it is not terribly expensive to add up to a total of 6 since you are not really adding FULL receivers (like most multi-boxes, quad boxes). This advantage is, of course, also a potential liabiility. As Larry Fisher pointed out, having an all-in-one system where multiple receivers share a common component, the rack, if something goes down in the rack the system will not work (you lose all your receivers). This does not seem to me to be a very big liability because most mixers will have to have a few stand alone free sets available, full receivers on their own (which will work with any of the Lectro transmitters I believe).

Hopefully others here who have had actual experience wiil chime in.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

I love the Venue for most of the same reasons Jeff pointed out. I was looking at getting a new TX/RX system, and I knew i was going to go with Lectro. When i priced out the cost of a 411RX and 400 TX, it was actually cheaper to go with the venue chassis and a couple of VRS receivers and get a TX.

Other things I love, it is completely compatible with my older 200 series TX's, so I didn't have to rush out and replce all my TX's. I'm using 3 VRS's for now in mine, for bodypack TX's, but I hope to someday go with a wireless boom setup, and I will get a VRT receiver unit for the boom, just for a little bit of extra piece of mind. Thats another great thing I like about the Venue. You can mix and match the components for whatever suits your taste, budget or to work with whatever gear you already have.

There is also a USB port on the back, and the lecnet software gives you some nice monitoring options for your laptop. Although I wish they would release a mac version of the software. I'm not a big fan of booting up windows in Virtua PC on my powerbook.

It's a nice addition, but by no means necessary to using the Venue System. it's quite easy to use on it's own.

The total system failure scenario that Jeff mentioned had crossed my mind also. I'd like it if sales/rental companies had a couple of the Venue units on standby to rent in case of emergency, but to my knowledge I don't know if these units are for rent anywhere. Trew Toronto ?

I haven't used it for hundreds of hours yet, so i can't personaly say how it performs in a long term test scenario. But if it's like other lectrosonics  gear I own, I know it should last a long long time.

oh yeah, another thing to remember, it doesn't include any Antennas. So be sure to include in your budget room for some Antennas, cable and some kind of stand. i went with a pair of the folding Dipoles and mounted them on a pair of manfroto light stands that i have attached to my cart. I had considered going with the shark fin antennas, but after trying out the dipoles, and not having any issues with range,  i decided to stick with them. I know a lot of guys use the shark fins. Maybe they would be helpfull in a crowded RF spectrum, but the Dipoles have been fine for me.

Jeff if  your Cooper mains will go - so you will stay without mixer, and if your Deva mains will go you will stay without recorder ,ets ets

so as i know you carry 744 and i guess another cheap mixer in your arsenal - so what is another  empty venue frame for your peace of mind ,since it 19 inch, it can work as drawer to your transmitters on the cart ( might be cheaper then to buy a real one ):-)

I am not so sure it was understood what I was saying about the "all-in-one" approach to multiple wireless setup. I was just pointing out, as Larry Fisher from Lectrosonics had pointed out, this is the only downside of having the common shared components. All the receivers modules may be just fine but if the Venue box dies you have NO functioning receivers (unless of course you have additional stand alone receiver units standing by). No big deal, I certainly would not suggest staying away from the Venue system for this reason --- just remember that it is a SYSTEM, it is not a Quad Box that merely packages multiple receivers.

-  JW

Manufacturing problems of VRTs at Lectro have delayed delivery of the Venue that I ordered last fall, so I can't comment on its use. It will replace my rack of 205s, thus six VRTs in Venue will occupy the former space of four 205s, consume less power, handle 200 and 400 series transmitters, and so on.  Of particular importance to me, Venue takes care of the timing issues (digital processing time) encountered when digital and analogue units are used together.

The individual 205 receivers will live in my documentary bag.  Currently I have to un-rack the 205s or use 195s and 185s. 

David Terry

It will replace my rack of 205s, thus six VRTs in Venue will occupy the former space of four 205s, consume less power, handle 200 and 400 series transmitters, and so on.  Of particular importance to me, Venue takes care of the timing issues (digital processing time) encountered when digital and analogue units are used together.

The individual 205 receivers will live in my documentary bag.  Currently I have to un-rack the 205s or use 195s and 185s. 

David Terry

This is how the Venue really shines, I think, particularly for people who already use Lectrosonics wireless. Consolidating what used to be several stand alone receivers and freeing up receivers you already own to serve as portable and backup units. The mention of dealing with the inherent latency issues with any system that used digital processing when mixed with analog systems is also very worthwhile.

Regards,  Jeff Wexler

Thanks for all the feedback thus far, I'm 99% sure this is the way I'll go. My old recievers will become back up or lenders to friends. I'm going with a full rack(6) and three new sm trans because of the advantages of size, and 1 full size tx. Since I don't use radios as mutch as my tv bros, or for that matter my comercial bros, a six pack of lectro/ venue should fill the needs of old school.  Thanks again.

Guest tourtelot

FWIW, I have had outstanding luck with the standard receiver modules (as opposed to the Tracking modules).  Don't know that you would notice any difference unless you are working big "press events" where the chances of another crew being on the same frequencies exist.

My $.02.

D.

do you think it's a good idea if you buy a venue system, to buy an additional receiver for situations where the Venue just isn't an fesiable option? ie, a car driving scene without a camera car towing it etc etc

I think a lot of us are considering replacing just our RX w/ the Venue and slowly acquiring 400 series TX, but keeping a few of the analog sets for what you describe.  Lectro has shown a prototype of a "baggable" Venue RX system--maybe see more @ NAB.

Philip Perkins

Multiple follow ups:

Cost I seem to remember the loaded Venue system with VRT's was about 5-7000.  I think the Rack is around 2k and the modules are 5-900 apiece depending upon what flavor your purchasing.

I second Doug's post about the VRS modules, they worked great for us and we only recently switched to the VRT's.

Here's a surprise, they work great also!

As far as the the extra receiver, we did buy two extra 411's just in case a camera had to follow someone out of range or....   We have used them a couple of times, but for the most part the Venue's in our system have always done the trick.

I mentioned on another thread about using a Palm/PocketPC with a venue for control... Is anyone doing this rather than running a laptop???

Be Well,

Gerry Formicola