Mounting a shotgun to an Arri SR3 16mm Camera

Chris Howland CAS

Hey Everyone,

Quick question. I'm working on a feature where we have a steadycam shot of a chase scene that runs down multiple hallways, stairways and small doorways. No dilogue, just footsteps and heavy breathing from the actors. I'm laving for the heavy breathing but I would love to mount a Sanken CS-3e on the camera itslef. Does anyone know of any hardware I can use to mount the mic on the Arri SR3 16mm camera.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated,

Chris Howland

lasoundmixer (at) mac DOT com

myspace DOT com slash lasoundmixer

Hey Chris, my guess is the hardest part of mounting any mic will be the steadycam op himself who will have camera balance and weight issues with the mic and rf transmitter. I would wire my boom op and let him dance with the steadycam op.

CrewC

Actually, the steadycam op on this show is very cool about the idea. In this particular shot, there is a 180 degree pan in the first room and then the camera follows the talent through a very tight doorway and the corridor is has only a 7 foot ceilng. I'm afraid if we boom we will only get the sound of the back of the camera guys head. The location is the American Legion Hall in Hollywood. The shot starts in the downstairs kitchen and ends at the top of the stairs on the floor above. It wil be cool if we can pull it off.

Hey Chris,

My favorite little mouting gadget is the Shure A56D Clamp.

site_img_us_pro_a56d_m.jpg

The jaw comes off and rotates 90 degrees to give you a circular clamping surface.

Mount your shotgun with a lectro plug and off you go.

If you can't find one through the usual suspects, call Lance @ Tour Supply in Nashville. 800-933-TOUR

lasoundman,

if you have a sanken cs-1 (its a little shorter than the 3-e) and designed for mounting on cameras (just in case they put on a wider lense) maybe you should put on a softie to knock down the wind while the cam op is running after the talent. 

as far as what hardware,

try a small mafer clamp with a threaded adapter and use a psc mount (or the shock mount of your choice) and you should be good to go.

later,