Low Budget Feature, Solo = Give Me Time?!

Joel Pinteric

get everything in a contract. work no more than 9 hour days. don't make it perfect and only allow the client to watch it with you once to tell you fixes, if they take it home there will be pages and pages of notes. anything after that is going to cost them and remember that they usually have a lot more money than they say. also let them know of the deal they just got and the ratio to the work that you did on it. Since there was no dedicated pro sound Op, let them know how much extra time and money post is costing.

" In my context? "

based on the little information you provided, I extrapolated that other than being over an hour (feature length) this is a lo-no budget POS project by some wanna-bee(s)...and will not be "featured" anywhere that counts.

" remember that they usually have a lot more money than they say. "

in this case, I don't think so...

I suggest being careful, as you could become an investor (your time and efforts) in this project...

Cool, well the search tools are good now Marc! Will check it out, no-brainer...

I'll be looking into more of this business stuff, a lot of it is still new to me. I've only been registered as a freelancer for under six months, so still a bit naive.

" In my context? "

based on the little information you provided, I extrapolated that other than being over an hour (feature length) this is a lo-no budget POS project by some wanna-bee(s)...and will not be "featured" anywhere that counts.

Is there any more info I need to post? Feature length is feature length, I'm not implying anything else so we're on the same page... My question was broad, i.e. not restricted to budget (budget is not mentioned in the question). I've now gotten the impression that being solo on a large role or multiple roles like this reflects the budget of a project, generally speaking.

get everything in a contract. work no more than 9 hour days. don't make it perfect and only allow the client to watch it with you once to tell you fixes, if they take it home there will be pages and pages of notes. anything after that is going to cost them and remember that they usually have a lot more money than they say. also let them know of the deal they just got and the ratio to the work that you did on it. Since there was no dedicated pro sound Op, let them know how much extra time and money post is costing.

Cheers for the advice. I will let them know of my extra efforts (on my part), but it probably won't make much difference unless they ask for further extra work at the end, because I'd certainly make sure I charge once more.

" You're not actually answering the question, "

perhaps not, but there are a lot of "depends" involved...

" Just looking for some perspective on how much time to give a project, when the Director/Producer's one "sound designer" (me) is likened to a whole audio-post department. Tell me if this is not unusual? "

guess the biggest it depends is the $$$...

and also your professional level (experience, facilities, awards, etc.)...

unusual ?? well for some, yes, but for others (like you with your project) not so much...

Feature or not, I have the impression... I've already stated that, and I further suspect they haven't got much of a clue, if any, how real movies are really made

simple answer: I'd give them as much time as they pat for... at the agreed upon rate.