Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Six high-bandwidth, low noise microphone preamplifiers with phantom, limiters, high-pass, pan, and direct outputs per channel
  • Four output buses, Left, Right and Aux 1, Aux 2; transformer-balanced for freedom from ground loops; multiple output connectors, including dual multi-pin
  • Built-in production recorder, records all inputs and output buses, 10 tracks, 16 tracks with an attached CL-6

Pretty slick

From the press release (apparently not yet on the SD site):

Introducing the 664 Field Production Mixer

Sound Devices introduces the 664 Field Production Mixer, the newest addition to Sound Devices mixer line. The flagship 664 builds on the features of the popular 552 Production Mixer and offers expanded input/output connectivity, additional recording capabilities, and full-featured time code. See the 664 on display at IBC, stand 8.D74.

664-3q-600px.jpg

Key 664 features include:

• Six high-bandwidth, low noise microphone preamplifiers with phantom, limiters, high-pass, pan, and direct outputs per channel
  • Four output buses, Left, Right and Aux 1, Aux 2; transformer-balanced for freedom from ground loops; multiple output connectors, including dual multi-pins
  • Built-in production recorder, records all inputs and output buses, 10 tracks. With CL-6 Input Expander, records 16 tracks.
  • Broadcast WAV recording to dual memory card slots, CF and SD Record, with different track combinations to each card type
  • Ultra-accurate, Ambient Lockit-based time code generator/reader with auto-recharging of internal TC battery and time code compare tool
  • Sunlight viewable, transflective LCD menu
  • Two AES42/AES3 digital inputs (input connectors 1 and 6) and AES3 output selection, up to eight channels of AES out (XLR, multi-pin)
  • Expanded return monitoring capabilities, with three camera returns and dedicated communication circuit (PL)
  • Built-in slate microphone and external slate microphone input connector

This fits my needs perfectly!! I liked the Maxx/Nomad format, but I dont need all the bells and whistles and the problems that go along with it. Not to say that this wont have its bugs, but for me less is more!

Having this mixer effectively eliminates 3-4 pieces of equipment in my bag. It has fewer points of failure but still has all of the features needed to compete with the Zax product...And that CL6 add on is quite cool as well! Don't see ever needing it, but its cool to have.

I'm a very happy SD user, their CS has been great to me, so I'm excited to see a product that is inovative and straight to the point.

Nice to see sd release sound recording specific new products. I would like to see the price point as well. The most obvious upgrade from nomad is visibility of the screen, f it s as advertised. I m still super happy with my nomad at the moment now and the zaxnet features are hard to beat. A new 302 with similar features would be something i would buy more than this one. Good job sd anyways. Love to see you guys stick around for us.