Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

Just a guess, but in the 7-series the keyboard usb port has always been the flat rectangular type and the cf/drive mounting one has been the squarish type (as seen on the 664). It could just be a CF/SD card mounting port.

Exciting machine!

Yush

I tend to agree I see no mention of a keyboard or port for one in the pictures showing the card slots. Though that does not mean it will not talk to a keyboard as there are wireless keyboards these days and that could be a much better option anyways.

CORRECTION - yes that does look like a usb port but it is a usb B port and I have never seen a keyboard that uses the square b- end that is usually reserved for device end on devices connecting to a computer.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh HELL YES... This plus the wireless in the bag for I/O... And the bag is all set.

I wonder what it weighs?

http://www.sounddevices.com/products/664/specs/

Dimensions and Weight

Dimensions: 5.3 cm x 32 cm x 19.8 cm (H x W x D) 2.1" x 12.6" x 7.8"

Weight: 4 lbs. 12 oz. (unpackaged, without batteries)

IF Glen enables 6 iso on the Nomad 4 it will be better the 644. No thanks on the pan switches. Don't need them.

I like the pan switches. Currently on Nomad if i want to see my pan structure for a cam mix I have to use the ENG screen. If I want to see outputs AND separate inputs I must select another screen. If I want to see both at the same time (very useful indeed when running both ISO and a cam mix) I simply can't.

Unless there's something I'm missing.

Recording to both media (CF and SD) simultaneously is supported. It is possible to send all tracks to one media, just the iso tracks, or just the bus tracks. This assignment is made independently per media, so you could send just your iso tracks to the SD and just your LR mix to CF (for example).

Hey Nic, thanks for chiming in here. So could I record WAV to the CF card and simultaneously record MP3 (for transcription) to the SD card?

Thanks...

I should not have used the word "downfall". I think the Nomad is great and was trying to budget for one this year, but its just not gonna happen for me.

Sadly for Zaxcom, I'm going to probably go for the 664. It fits my workflow and allows me to use the multiple 10 pin eng cables I already own thus saving me a few bucks, I think just overall the work flow on this mixer more fits ME than the Nomad...And for the money, its a better buy than the Maxx.

Need to start filling up my pretzel jug with change again!!

The beauty in competition. Both SD and Zax are making wonderful products for our profession. Both have to step up to the plate and make something great at a price point that is tolerable. I hope Tascam is lurking and ready to pounce. Maybe Nagra and some of the other lesser knowns are hanging out and waiting for their chance as well :)

Ha I just bought a nomad days ago!

Looks like main feature differences

NM auto mixer (not yet released)

SD side xlr ports (if thats your thing)

MN wireless ifb transmitter

MN zaxnet

SD price point for recording tracks

NM weight size

SD more knobs to twist!

what am I missing?

So could I record WAV to the CF card and simultaneously record MP3 (for transcription) to the SD card?

Yes. You could (for example) record all of your pre-fade iso tracks as mono wav files to the CF and simultaneously record the LR mix tracks as a stereo mp3 file to your SD card.

Ha I just bought a nomad days ago!

Looks like main feature differences

NM auto mixer (not yet released)

SD side xlr ports (if thats your thing)

MN wireless ifb transmitter

MN zaxnet

SD price point for recording tracks

NM weight size

SD more knobs to twist!

what am I missing?

The 788 has 'mix assist' which is effectively Automix. It works very well. If SD can port this to the 664 then it will most likely have it sooner rather than later.

IF Glen enables 6 iso on the Nomad 4 it will be better the 644. No thanks on the pan switches. Don't need them.

SD sells a lot into the location music recording market, more so than Zax so far, as far as I've seen; those folks want pan controls for their live stereo mixes. The full up 664 with a small rack-o-pres would be a very nice, compact hi fi music recording rig for 12 ch.

phil p

It looks like a very nice machine, but I'm sorry not to see higher sample rates. Strange, given the quoted frequency response of the mic inputs. With some extended frequency response mics and higher sample rates, it would be a really useful 'wide' effects gathering machine for me.

Maybe an upgrade at some point?

John