Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

I think SD hit the mark with this one! Based on the characteristics of previous SD gear we can probably expect...

-Timecode will be rock solid

-The unit itself will be solidly built

-The faders will have a great smooth feel to them and not feel cheap

-The screen will be readable in bright sunlight

-All promised features will be available at the time of purchase

-The layout would be intuitive and makes sense

-It would be truly optimized for bag use with the right balance of hardware and software features

-The battery compartment will be a snug fit and not be sloppy with play in it

-Gain, pan, rolloff and PFL in hardware form like a true ENG mixer should be

-It will sound GREAT!

Just my humble opinion though. :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I truly don't understand all the Sven hate. I think it's a very creative solutionfor setting configurations on a digital/analog hybrid machine with no screen to look at. It sure beats looking at the cheat sheet every time! It's a huge time saver if you ask me.

Anyway, back to the 664 talk! :)

I know I'm not the only one who's been waiting for a solid Sound Devices field mixer with full ISO recording, tactile mixing interface, plug and play routing and TC capabilities. I'm very excited about this product and can't wait to see what's next. I have to agree with the comment about sampling rate options though. What's with 48.048 kHz max? Many of us record music and SFX too.

I know I'm not the only one who's been waiting for a solid Sound Devices field mixer with full ISO recording, tactile mixing interface, plug and play routing and TC capabilities. I'm very excited about this product and can't wait to see what's next. I have to agree with the comment about sampling rate options though. What's with 48.048 kHz max? Many of us record music and SFX too.

You have been waiting for nothing. The 788, cl8, cl9, have all been out for several years.

Nic, is metadata input possible with an external keyboard?

Nic,

Is there any buffer or pre-roll options?

Thanks for the update Nic. Could you plese add to your post "one more thing".

-Metadata can be input via iphone or Ipad via WIFI connection. Pleeeeease!!!

It would be awesome to get some photos of the menu structure and how to navigate it. :)

Unanswered question / request digest ........... :)

I truly don't understand all the Sven hate. I think it's a very creative solutionfor setting configurations on a digital/analog hybrid machine with no screen to look at. It sure beats looking at the cheat sheet every time! It's a huge time saver if you ask me.

Anyway, back to the 664 talk! :)

+1, useful and cool sounding IMO

I truly don't understand all the Sven hate. I think it's a very creative solutionfor setting configurations on a digital/analog hybrid machine with no screen to look at. It sure beats looking at the cheat sheet every time! It's a huge time saver if you ask me. Anyway, back to the 664 talk! :)

For rental gear, Sven is terrible. Maybe if I owned it and listened to it all the time, I would learn to understand it, but using it sparingly on jobs that provide gear, I was flying blind. There were times I gave up making changes because I was trying to understand the computer talking to me and not the lavs I had in play.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was something like Sven in the future, but I am guessing it requires too much processor and too much programming to make it happen yet. There is something weird about having the voice talk to you over the headphones while you are working, when you could just look at a screen and make adjustments while listening. Interesting idea, but yeah. Not a fan.