Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed AES inputs. Does this mean my Mix Pre-D will work with it for extra track inputs beyond the 6 mic/lines?

Yes, but you could also look at the CL-6 which turns the direct outputs into 6 additional inputs, and opens up 6 additional recording tracks. Total of 12 inputs, 16 record tracks. Would probably weigh the same as adding a MixPre-D in the bag...

How are the preamps on the SD664, compared withh 552 & 788?

I heard SD the 552 preamps were compromised so that alkaline batteries could be used. Hoping no such compromises are attached to this device.

Steve

1. Technically, comparable to the 744T pres (fantastic). Sonically, I can't comment as I haven't used one yet.

2. I have heard no such thing, and doesn't make sense. Nothing like that was done to the 442 or 302 (both preceded the 552), and alkalines have a higher starting voltage than nimh anyway.

I was wondering what CF cards you new 664 owners are using. I'm specifically interested in using a 64gb card and as of yet Sound Devices not have a specific make/model 64gb card they recommend.

Regarding SD cards, are the Sandisk SDXC Ultra; 30MB/s; Class 10, 64GB (which Sound Devices sanctions) really adequate for a full 16 channels of recording? Of course I realize as I now ask the question that probably no one out there has yet to record 16 channels because the CL-6 is not yet shipping.

Tom

Is it possible to record wav files to a card while simultaneously recording a MP3 file for transcription on the same card? It seems to me you would very much want that option so that you can still have a back up copy of your iso and mix tracks on the second card. I'd hate to give up my back up files just because the client needed an MP3!

Tom

I was wondering what CF cards you new 664 owners are using. I'm specifically interested in using a 64gb card and as of yet Sound Devices not have a specific make/model 64gb card they recommend.

Regarding SD cards, are the Sandisk SDXC Ultra; 30MB/s; Class 10, 64GB (which Sound Devices sanctions) really adequate for a full 16 channels of recording? Of course I realize as I now ask the question that probably no one out there has yet to record 16 channels because the CL-6 is not yet shipping.

Is it possible to record wav files to a card while simultaneously recording a MP3 file for transcription on the same card? It seems to me you would very much want that option so that you can still have a back up copy of your iso and mix tracks on the second card. I'd hate to give up my back up files just because the client needed an MP3!

Tom,

Storage/card info posted here:

http://www.sounddevices.com/notes/mixers/664/sound-devices-664-788t-approved-removable-storage/

You can not record both MP3 and WAV concurrently to a single media.

Can somebody tell me if the menu allows for internal copying from card to card, and if so is there a copy all function?

What I am thinking of is if I write mp3 to one card and wave to the other just copying all to the card I deliver as I am wrapping. Or conversely for clients who want to periodically dump to edit for dailies or rush edits keeping the master card and copying the last 10 takes or whatever to a cf card and then swapping my backup card back in.

if it doesn't show I have always been a little paranoid about handing media off to a pa runner or the like without having a full backup on me.

'It's never too late to start an angle grinder...'

ooooh. funny you should mention that. Recently shot a scene that I had thought was supposed to be an intimate relationship conversation between a boy and a girl. Turned out it was really a scene about a boy, a girl, and the neighbor's angle grinder.

Coulda used that phrase preset just to remind me during post that angle grinders are a part of life too and not just a tool of satan.

Has anyone here ordered their 664 from Trew Audio and already received it?

I placed my order back on September 14 from the Nashville store and they have yet to give me a real estimate of when I might get it. Last time I called them they couldn't even find my order/name on their list but said given the date I ordered I "might" get it in December or January.

I realize it's first come first serve but to not be able to even find my order/name on their list or even tell me what number I am on the list...I'm pretty disappointed with the customer service. Especially when it's with such an expensive piece of equipment.

Has anyone else had any issues like this with Trew before?