Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

" anyone else is getting the run around "

I doubt that any of SD's authorized dealers would either give you a "runaround", or not charge the proper prices, as required by their dealership contracts.

While Sweetwater is a fine, reputable company, they are not one of our "usual suspects", as they really have minimal understanding of our particular needs and their capabilities to support us are limited; that may result in what you are considering a "runaround" ??

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first bag up attempt. Early thoughts are, and I am coming from a Portabrace audio organizer, is not enough pouches to carry the small items. I have a job tomorrow, so I am going to leave things as is and try it out. I am investigating a means of attaching the Betso display to the front of the bag, that will allow it to be removed easily when not needed and quickly reattached when needed. (no velcro) Also I have liked having a handle/strap much like the Portabrace AO bags have, so I have something I will use in the meantime.

Like every bag there is compromise. The build quality of the Kortwich is first rate and the double bag belt is a nice addition.

More thoughts after the shoot on Wednesday.

Thanks

David

post-351-0-58699000-1355236154_thumb.jpg

For those times when you need storage, and there are many, I would really give a thumbs up to my OGIO FLIGHT VEAST.... I have used them for years riding Desert offroad.... and for over the shoulder gigs when I need to be away from trucks, and gear... They are really nice, a ton of great sized pockets,battery pockets, place for a camelback bladder, cable storage in the back, phone pocket, I can't say enough about it.... And the timing is right, a great Xmas gift for those who do a lot of over the shoulder...

http://ogio.com/power/flight-vest

$124 at Amazon.... read the Amazon review..... funny the Photog. says he loads it up and gets on a plane with it... since he is wearing it, it's not considered another carry on....

http://www.amazon.com/Ogio-OGIO-Flight-Vest-STEALTH/dp/B0037CFQ4S

NIce idea and vest. I am not sure since I use a harness how the two would get along. Something to consider though.

Thanks

David

I use a harness too, and if I need something and I need to get to the back, I just do it... better to have it right there.... fits pretty well with the harness... I would still rather have it right there, and dig for a moment, rather than not.... The Hydration pack it comes with is also a BIG plus.... Feels much lighter than the stated weight held in hand, or on...

I don't feel I can due to the weight of the gear/bag. I will know more tomorrow after the job. The design of the bag does not make it easy to add small pouches. Kortwich does have a 664 bag that has a zippered front compartment, though I not sure where a battery would go, maybe under the mixer. They call this the Special 664 bag. I don't believe it will hold a CL-6.

The one I purchased is the 800664.2. The NP-1 is living under the CL-6. There is extra room there.

Below are views from either end.

Thanks

David

post-351-0-75120500-1355251353_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-52589300-1355251363_thumb.jpg

Tried the loaded bag out tonight with just the waist belt. I believe it is doable. Then I added a shoulder harness, this felt a bit more stable when walking. Most of the load was still on the waist belt. Plus the harness would allow some additional small bags, etc. for those bits and pieces we all have. Will check for RF spill also.

Lastly I had ordered an small inexpensive ($16) keyboard from Amazon. Connected it and everything worked. I will post photos after the job tomorrow.

Thanks

David

MT Groove,

Thanks so much for posting the photos of your 601 bag mod. I just bought a 664 from Coffey and am looking for a smaller bag for it. How hard is it to access the timecode i/o when the mixer is in your modded bag? Is there still relatively easy access all the inputs and outputs? Also, from the photos it looks like there is quite a gap on the right back corner where you cut the rigid section. Are you able to zip up the zipper all the way?

Thanks again,

Andy

thanks for posting this David. I see you have a variety of receiver blocks in the bag. Please let us know how the 664 is for RF "spill".

No RF Spill worth noting on my 411's, Block 20.

Before (664 off)

After with 664 in Record (a couple pop up frequencies, but nothing major)

Someone has asked me about the low profile XLR cables I am using. This is something I have made. Fairly easy to do. I have in mind a cleaner version down the road. For these it was cut down the Neutrik housing, drill a hole where you want the cable to exit (small Mogami cable), fill the end with black RTV, let it dry, apply the numbers (from Staples), finally cover with clear RTV. The wireless end has right angle Neutrik connectors. Everything off the shelf.

David

I tend to side with Zaxcom's naming scheme. Metadata entry is plenty and WaveAgent is only a minor extra step, and reduces the potential for operator error.

I'm curious though: can 664 do transcription recording on one of its two cards?

I feel wave agent is more then just a minor extra step. I use it all of the time to produce Soundreports that are PDF files instead of csv files and complete proper notes on my sound reports for those "Run and Gun Shoots", even when I can't use my cl wifi. It also works wonderful for a fast playback on set or at the PO when someone would want to listen to smothing you shot a day ago and so on.

As far as transcriptions go:

You can record different track combinations and to each card type (CFC or SD or SDHC), but it looks like all cards will be Poly Wav files. Don't know if that will change in the future.

John Paul asked about using the 664 in the Kortwich bag. So for all of yesterday's shoot I didn't use a shoulder harness. Bottom line it is doable. For me two problems, slows down walking somewhat due to hanging low and picking something off of the floor (part of that is I am getting older!!) It was nice not to have a shoulder harness in the way, it felt more free.

post-351-0-75971200-1355434650_thumb.jpg

post-351-0-70085600-1355434660_thumb.jpg

I v got a question:

the big INPUT FADER

effects the input PRE- or POST- gain?

if it is just a post-gain fader, so it is only a mixer and the input faders a the small buttons below.

so it wouldn´t be so nice to work with.... am I right or wrong???

thanks for your help.