Brian Maier

Sound Devices 664

LOVE it..... actual dedicated switches for the quick stuff..... Just love the whole package..... GREAT screen..... Nice knobs... Perfect for the job at hand... really like the material it's made from too.... CF and SD... nice...

Yeah, how do you name tracks.... I am hoping you can.... If so I am in..... Glad I waited.....

Definitively underwealmed!

this appears to be SD move to check Nomad's market share. It appears that they are content with chasing the competition, rather than blowing minds with truly new innovations, like they used to with the 7 series recorders for example.

Looks like there is a USB port next to the media card slots while I'm watching the video.

There is a USB port next to the (rubber covered?) card slots: http://www.sounddevices.com/products/664/images/

ARRGGGH, I was just going to buy a 788t! Starting a project on the 19th! Definitely worth considering since i also need a bunch of lectro gear and am planning to put alot of this purchase on my credit card .... this is just like when i got my 744t and 788t came out 2 months later.

The

this appears to be SD move to check Nomad's market share. It appears that they are content with chasing the competition, rather than blowing minds with truly new innovations, like they used to with the 7 series recorders for example.

Considering that SD doesn't participate in the wireless market, I'm not sure what else they should do.

The addition of the Ambient was nice.

Making the sd cards easily accessible is huge along with usb.

Love that it has 2 10pin outs.

SD is no frills IMO. They make stuff that just works. I hope that's the case with this mixer as well.

Congratulations! Your order has been successfully placed.

Thank you for using our store. An order notification has been sent to your email address.

Your order will be processed according to the delivery details.

Looks great! Very flexible package at good price point and the screen makes it. I'm also still hoping SD will come out with a smaller mixer/recorder with this type of screen (NO SVEN!) for ENG work.

Interesting, my first reaction is to say I want.... and it would simplify things in my bag. But what I want to know and has not been answered yet is do the 2 card slots record simultaneously.. If so I see no need for heavy internal drives because you have your backup right there. Also what other add-ons will there be if any, wireless metadata logging etc. And of course there is the needing to make sure it works as advertised. Though Sound Devices has a reputation for putting out good functional gear.

Despite anyone being underwhelmed, this will be a huge seller.

While I'm sure that the Sound Devices team took a comprehensive look at all the Nomad's features, this looks to be designed primarily with both the end users' needs and wishes, and Sound Devices' strengths, in mind.

Perfect. Touchscreen would have been great, but if this screen is more durable and daylight-viewable, it's a good trade-off.

IMO, the ergonomics of my 552 has been lacking in every multitrack recorder to date, as far as Bag-based work, so this is a very welcome option, especially for the price.

Curious about the reliability of the Recording format, versus MARF. I've been extremely happy with my Zax Fusion and how it's handles during power failure, etc. Wondering how this will work. How do SD recorders hold up when the files can't be terminated properly, due to a power issue?

E.

Did anyone tell Petrol/Portabrace? I hate the Camrade bags, and it's significantly bigger than the 442/552.

problably fit in a petrol 614

sorry Matt i wasn't very specific,

the product itself seems at first glance to be a fine tuning of the 552 idea. It does appear to be a good product, in my book SD only made one poor piece of equipment, and that is fairly impressive if you compare it to the competition.

My disappointment is aimed at the company strategy. It is a response to the Nomad, nothing else. And it is a first piece of SOUND gear released in a while. I was expecting something more of a game changer, but than again im just a hopeless romantic :-)

Considering that SD doesn't participate in the wireless market, I'm not sure what else they should do.

The addition of the Ambient was nice.

Making the sd cards easily accessible is huge along with usb.

Love that it has 2 10pin outs.

SD is no frills IMO. They make stuff that just works. I hope that's the case with this mixer as well.