Sound Devices 664

Brian Maier

It looks like a very nice machine, but I'm sorry not to see higher sample rates. Strange, given the quoted frequency response of the mic inputs. With some extended frequency response mics and higher sample rates, it would be a really useful 'wide' effects gathering machine for me.

Maybe an upgrade at some point?

John

That might be one of the distinctions between this and the 700 series. This really is a mixer with a LOT of recording features crammed in. It blows the 552 "backup" recording out of the water (obviously at a higher price). I'm sure there is at least a napkin with the major upgrade ideas for the next 700 series recorder.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A step in the right direction as far as design for people who don't like nomads interface...I guess SD reads suggestion by me and Tom Visser on this forum...It only needs a cl WiFi for metadata and to loose at least a pound. I don't understand why put pan the pan knobs in a multiple output solution...

I'm sure that the development cycle of this preceded my prediction of 662 type of product.

I'm also sure that development of this preceded the Nomad announcement, especially in light of the fact that it looks like SD is about to ship this sooner than later.

I'm a critic at heart, and would be quite happy to use either a 664 or a Nomad, or even Maxx for that matter. I think the main departure is that Zaxcom has built a product from the ground up where Sound Devices is taking an evolutionary approach. The strength of the 664 is of course it's tried and true mixer layout. Zaxcom is really pushing the envelope with revolutionary features, makes you wish that the companies would put their minds together on a collaborative project, but of course that would be against the spirit of capitalistic competition.

I'm sure that the development cycle of this preceded my prediction of 662 type of product.

I'm also sure that development of this preceded the Nomad announcement, especially in light of the fact that it looks like SD is about to ship this sooner than later.

I'm a critic at heart, and would be quite happy to use either a 664 or a Nomad, or even Maxx for that matter. I think the main departure is that Zaxcom has built a product from the ground up where Sound Devices is taking an evolutionary approach. The strength of the 664 is of course it's tried and true mixer layout. Zaxcom is really pushing the envelope with revolutionary features, makes you wish that the companies would put their minds together on a collaborative project, but of course that would be against the spirit of capitalistic competition.

I see it as a convergence on each other's doorsteps. Zaxcom started making big control room gear (or something that predates my location sound life). The Deva was a game changer when it came out, but was more of a cart device. The Fusion is the ENG version of the Deva (no moving parts, all CF cards). Almost the same case, same software, same screen etc. The Nomad runs modified Deva software (right?). The way I see it, Zaxcom has been expanding the product line, bringing what they have been doing for years into the bag. Technology has allowed them to put (most of the) the power of the Deva in a smaller case. This works well for them because even a few years ago, most of us doing reality were using analog mixers in the bag with all audio recorded on a camera. Now bag recording of some sort is very common.

Sound Devices was started by people that built analog ENG mixers and have evolved into building far more complicated devices (700 series, PIX etc). The two companies are at a bit of a crossroads with some of their products, but not all. SD does the video stuff, Zaxcom does wireless etc etc.

As somebody using the products, we get some killer advancements. Unfortunately it does make our gear seem old fast, but that's the cost of progress. All the more reason to keep our rates up. If productions want cutting edge gear, they should pay appropriate rentals. Hey, our gear still outlasts digital video cameras!

The beauty in competition. Both SD and Zax are making wonderful products for our profession. Both have to step up to the plate and make something great at a price point that is tolerable. I hope Tascam is lurking and ready to pounce. Maybe Nagra and some of the other lesser knowns are hanging out and waiting for their chance as well :)

I agree

I'm guessing this will become the new standard issue for reality TV kit supplied by camera rental houses.

I hope so

Two significant upgrades from the 552 that I can see in the specs,

They've upgraded the A/D conversion from 105db to 114db (now has the same dynamic range as a 744)

The preamps are now transformerless, possibly the same preamps in the 7-series recorders?

EDIT: I see nothing mentioning high sample rates...hmmm

+1

I think they are invested in 788t already and will not switch.

I mean when they buy another batch. I think some of those camera rental houses are like UHaul, they replace the equipment when it's basically dead. You either turn it over a lot (like, say, Enterprise), or you run it into the ground. Based on the number of 788s I've used missing knobs and covered in what looks like volcanic ash, I would say they run them into the ground to eek out every rental dollar.

A couple questions. I am mostly mixing from the cart. Can the metadata be input via WIFI/IPad like the 788T? Could the CL6 be adapted to the 788 so that additional inputs can be routed to the 12 potential record tracks?

Update, Called SD. There is a possible keyboard input but no WIFI. CL6 cannot be adapted to 788T. Outputs cannot be used as inputs without CL6

A step in the right direction as far as design for people who don't like nomads interface...I guess SD reads suggestion by me and Tom Visser on this forum...It only needs a cl WiFi for metadata and to loose at least a pound. I don't understand why put pan the pan knobs in a multiple output solution...

Rado,

You've managed to get this posted to every post related to the 664. On forums and FB.

Wonderful looking piece of gear, with great features.

The only downfall for me is the lack of higher sample rates. Is that a possibility in a firmware update? (lower available record tracks for 96 or 192 capability perhaps?) Or is the unit itself not possible of going above 48k?

ANYONE FROM SOUND DEVICES ...

Is the max sample rate REALLY only 48k (and local variables) ? Its hard to really tell but this was my first question when Trew sent me the link and then I went to sounddevices to try and find out. I record effects (so really need 192 ...) but if it doesn't even do 96 you may have even lost a 'future' market let alone an existing one.

Aside from that, from someone currently using (production's) 788; regular user of 744 (for 2 track), Cantars, and looking strongly at the Nomad possibilities ... the 664, especially with the ?CS6?, would look extremely interesting from my increasing high track count multi channel array work.

Another question pertinent to my work - can multiple channels be ganged to match gain (like the 788 and many others)?

And an old timer wish list question (from someone hanging on to his 302 as a general problem solver) - could you provide at least two channels of T power ?? Disregarding my schoeps CMC4, I have several older mics I pull out to solve the odd problem, and it would be nice to not have to link up a 302 or converter but have it ready in the box. (Anyone agree to keeping token channels of T alive or am I alone on this one?)

Thanks,

Jez Adamson