Fog City Mavericks

old school

To all film history fans and students of the cinema, a heads up to check out "Fog City Mavericks". I saw it on cable the other day after working a long night, Showtime, Stars or something. I know it wasn't HBO. I really enjoyed it even though I was aware of most of the history. The interviews were well done and the overview was excellent IMO. I would like to hear what others here at JWS think about the doc.

CrewC

Hey Rich, Hope all is well for you n your crew in Morocco. I have worked on many commercials w Ridley and his brother Tony, and I do mean work. Those guys are machines. Great folks in my book, but when they take a leak, you better take one as well, or you'll never get another chance. I'm sure you are well aware of that by now. I have enjoyed your posts here about the job and what you are doing to get the many camera pov's. Good stuff. For someone who works in commercials, I did a poor job of promoting "Fog City Mavericks". It is about the history of film in the bay area, how it relates to and stands apart from Hollywood, and the characters that make it so. From the turn of last century photo pioneers like Edward Moybridge (sp?) and silent film makers including Charlie Chaplin and others, the foundation is set to reveal how the life n times of Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas and many others, their unique contributions to the art of film as it relates to the men, the area, and the impact on the art and commerce of film. Whew. That should be about 3 sentences. Anyway... many great interviews and photos and film clips from the people who are apart of the group, like Francis and George of course, but many others, Carroll Ballard, Walter Murch, Phil Kaufman, Milos Foreman, Clint Eastwood, Caleb Deschanel, Ben Burtt, John Lassetter, Brad Bird, Saul Zaentz, Steve Jobs and more than I can remember. I dvd r'd it and plan to watch it again soon. It is well made n I got much out of it. Maybe you can get the family to record it for you. I'm sure it will be out on dvd soon if not already out there. Keep us posted when time permits from Morocco and where ever else your adventure takes you. As we say in L A, have a reel nice day. Your bud CrewC