Sound Devices 664

Soundequip

Does it have USB keyboard input or any wifi abilities to link it to to external data entry devices?

It says it allows extensive meta-data, but extensive meta data with twist and push knobs doesn't sound fun.

I would love to see a side by side comparison done by sound devices between the 788t and the 662 how does the 662 not supplant/replace the 788t in every way.

Does it have USB keyboard input or any wifi abilities to link it to to external data entry devices?

It says it allows extensive meta-data, but extensive meta data with twist and push knobs doesn't sound fun.

I would love to see a side by side comparison done by sound devices between the 788t and the 662 how does the 662 not supplant/replace the 788t in every way.

A 788T with the CL-8 is 8 inputs mixable to 12 tracks and routable to 6(?) output busses. 664 is 6 inputs routable to 10 tracks, and 4 output busses. (or 12 inputs to 16 tracks and 4 outputs w/ CL-6)

788T/CL-8 is smaller than the 664, even without the CL-6.

Record time of the 664 would be less than 788T due to HDD capabilities.

Higher sample rates available on 788T.

Just off the top of my head...

Mike the unhelpful professor as always - useless noise masquerading as a reply. What DO your students get from your class, besides heartburn about how much money they spent for how little return?

Rogerjo: Yes, it can record to both simultaneously, with a variety of track-to-card routing options. All tracks to both cards, iso tracks to one, mix to the other, etc are all possible. Noises have been made that it can also drop mp3 files for transcription in addition to timecoded bwav, but this is less clear.

• 1 year later...

I use it only when setting up for the day and entering all the metadata for the show. It is never on or connected while I'm actually rolling. I find that using the 664 in a bag situation puts the USB port in a bad place creating a lot of strain. Hence not keeping it plugged in all the time. Other than that I love the thing. The less I have to twiddle that knob the better IMO.

Any experience on using a mini blue-tooth keyboard and a blue-tooth dongle anyone? ????

Unless the keyboard and dongle are pre-paired, they won't work. Pairing requires more smarts than the 664 and 633 have and I'm not even sure pre-paired Bluetooth keyboards and dongles are available at all.

Best regards,

Jim

The Rii 2.4 GHz keyboard Phil mentions above works just great with the 664 (and the 633 as well), is small enough to carry in the bag with the mixer and is available on Amazon in the US for under $20. One  seller's offering:

http://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Keyboard-Multimedia-Handheld/dp/B004716NFE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392807455&sr=8-2&keywords=rii+mini+wireless+keyboard

The Rii RT-MWK01 is 2.4 GHz. and works with the 6XX mixer/recorders and the Rii RT-MWK02 is Bluetooth and will not.

Best regards,

Jim

• 9 months later...

The Rii 2.4 GHz keyboard Phil mentions above works just great with the 664 (and the 633 as well), is small enough to carry in the bag with the mixer and is available on Amazon in the US for under $20. One  seller's offering:

http://www.amazon.com/Rii-Wireless-Keyboard-Multimedia-Handheld/dp/B004716NFE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1392807455&sr=8-2&keywords=rii+mini+wireless+keyboard

The Rii RT-MWK01 is 2.4 GHz. and works with the 6XX mixer/recorders and the Rii RT-MWK02 is Bluetooth and will not.

Best regards,

Jim

Has anybody had problems with this keyboard crashing the 664? Im on my second one and its still crashing the 664. I'm running Vers.2.02 firmware and it is the wireless keyboard. I have tested the keyboard itself and it works fine with everything else I plug it in to