Roland R-88

VASI

Roland R-88

- Simultaneous recording of 8 channels + stereo mix (up to 96kHz)

- Up to 24bit/192kHz uncompressed linear PCM recording (up to 4 channels)

- 3 hours of recording using 32GB SDHC card (24bit/96kHz, 10ch)

- 8 XLR inputs, 8 XLR outputs, AES/EBU input/output

- Built-in 8 channel mixer with 3-band equalizer and MS microphone decoder

- Built-in 10in/8out USB audio interface

- Touch Panel Display for intuitive navigation

- SMPTE timecode In/Out for video sync

- Four different types of power - Alkaline battery (AA), Rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA), AC Adaptor, External battery (4-pin XLR 9 to 16 V)

More Information: http://www.roland.com/products/en/R-88

Wow. I loved my R-44, and know a mixer who has worked a lot on an R-4 Pro (could be called the predecessor of this machine).

With an external mixer in front with good preamps I am sure this will be a great machine. I still think the R44's menu structure and display is the best I have seen (including SD 7 series and Nomad). The big questions are meta data, and: what will the price be?

GOOD - Simultaneous recording of 8 channels + stereo mix (up to 96kHz)

GOOD FOR FX PEOPLE - Up to 24bit/192kHz uncompressed linear PCM recording (up to 4 channels)

BLAH so probably 6+ hours at 48KHz, should cover a typical day, but maybe have to swap cards during heavy days - 3 hours of recording using 32GB SDHC card (24bit/96kHz, 10ch)

GOOD only improvement woudl be AES42 inputs and maybe 8 AES via DB-25 with SRC - 8 XLR inputs, 8 XLR outputs, AES/EBU input/output

GOOD - Built-in 8 channel mixer with 3-band equalizer and MS microphone decoder

GREAT even one ups it's competition - Built-in 10in/8out USB audio interface

GOOD, I personal detest touch screens, but that seems to be the popular demand - Touch Panel Display for intuitive navigation

GREAT for a company like Roland to understand the necessity of this feature - SMPTE timecode In/Out for video sync

GREAT also uncharacteristic of Roland to cover the basics - Four different types of power - Alkaline battery (AA), Rechargeable Ni-MH battery (AA), AC Adaptor, External battery (4-pin XLR 9 to 16 V)

But... how does it sound?...

Wow. I loved my R-44, and know a mixer who has worked a lot on an R-4 Pro (could be called the predecessor of this machine).

With an external mixer in front with good preamps I am sure this will be a great machine. I still think the R44's menu structure and display is the best I have seen (including SD 7 series and Nomad). The big questions are meta data, and: what will the price be?

US List price is $2,500.00

Looking at a January-February 2013 delivery

SJ

As we've hashed over many times on this forum, a recorder's ability to input TC for time stamping generally does not mean that it is "syncing" itself to anything (external), HDp2 and Traveler aside. In the past the Roland internal clocks were not on the level of SD etc, so an external clock ref (AES etc) would be a good idea.

phil p

I like that you can record and output iso's to a DAW at the same time.

I like that the menu is accessible for the front, better for bag work. Though, I do see knobs on top. Video and info on website doesnt tell what it's for.

I guess there's no metadata, because that's definitly something you would brag about in the specs.

Tomorrow I'm at the IBC and hope it's on show at the stand there.

I like that you can record and output iso's to a DAW at the same time.

I like that the menu is accessible for the front, better for bag work. Though, I do see knobs on top. Video and info on website doesnt tell what it's for.

I guess there's no metadata, because that's definitly something you would brag about in the specs.

Tomorrow I'm at the IBC and hope it's on show at the stand there.

Not sure, but I think those knobs on top are actually just screws holding the battery door closed. Aside from that though, and not to rain on your parade, I don't think I would want to take it out in the bag too often, as far as I can see it's one of the largest and heaviest 5+ channel recorders out there. Not that this does not look like a pretty great machine, it's certainly piqued my interest, but I think it would be a lot more comfortable on a cart.

If you do get to see it at IBC tomorrow, do tell us what your impressions are

:)

Not sure, but I think those knobs on top are actually just screws holding the battery door closed. Aside from that though, and not to rain on your parade, I don't think I would want to take it out in the bag too often, as far as I can see it's one of the largest and heaviest 5+ channel recorders out there. Not that this does not look like a pretty great machine, it's certainly piqued my interest, but I think it would be a lot more comfortable on a cart.

If you do get to see it at IBC tomorrow, do tell us what your impressions are

:)

I hear what you say. Though. Weight is about as much as a 788t with cl8 and often people use that in a bag...

Ill post my findings tomorrow!

Yeah, fair point, but still a fair bit larger than a 788T + CL8, if your swinging a boom having something as large as an R-88 in the way might be a hassle.

I am curious about the output routing of the 8 XLR outs, can they all be routed as separate buses or are they set to direct outs/stereo pairs or just mirrors of mix LR?

Just "touched" it here @ IBC. It's enormous. No metadata except file naming. You do can make some presets for that though. Touchscreen navigation works okay, but it looks like its quite worthless in bright sun. It's a guess of course since now it's situated in a dark expo hall.

I think Tascam's plus is meta data and better preamps. What was the US price? 3000? At 500 difference I would go for the Tascam - but in Europe the Tascam is still 5000 Euros, which is twice as much as in the states, and I'm quite sure Roland won't charge much more for the R-88 in the EU than they do in the US, so then it's an alternative.

Will this recorder work as an audio interface while recording?

If so, would that be a bit of first? Potentially making a convenient back up recording solution going directly from the recorder via usb cable into a macbook (running boom recorder) - no other boxes involved.

dan.