Dear JWSoundGroup Members,

After three years experience in film, commercial, documentary and ENG at Greece the time is come to become a work immigrant in other country. The reason I want to leave my country is economic. With little words to I have describe the situations is "unemployment", "very low - no pay", "low workflow" and the money for pay bills and other thing is not enough. So that's why I want to leave my country. I love my country and I love to work in my country but the situations is not easy for that. I don't want to be weight for other country. That's for sure. I want to work, to create my life and pay my bills with no issues. Easy life!

I have done research about the rates, union or non-union contracts in New Zealand and Australia. I have send email to Australian Screen Sound Guild (ASSG). Because in New Zealand they don't have some sound guild (such as ASSG) I have spoke directly with Peter Prebble, Ande Schurr to receive informations about daily / week rates in New Zealand. Thanks a lot with my heart about informations guys. I'm not ask for work but informations. So because I have no idea where to find informations such as New Zealand and Australia (rates, union - non union contracts) I will appreciate a lot to give me for United States of America.

In conclusion now what I want?

1) To give me information about union contracts and rates in USA.

2) Where to find companies like this (ABC SA - Is the largest Broadcast company in Greece) in New Zealand, Australia and USA.

Why I need a work under contract and I don't become as freelancer in this countries? Because first I don't have clients and second for my permanent visa.

This is my prepare stage before send emails to companies with my resume. In my "pre production" stage I have to do some things. My English for second time. My first time under with teacher Ι was when ten years old for two years. Before I send emails I have to do IELTS with 6.5 or higher score and find the money for air tickets, two - three months for rent house and my personal costs (donations from my family especially). So I believe in one year I'm already.

Thanks a lot ASSG, Ande Schurr, Peter Prebble, Rob Stalder, Eric Toline and Jeff Wexler (for this forum again). Of course I'm very grateful if anyone help me with information!

Best Regards

Vasileios Alexandris

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

" To give me information about union contracts and rates in USA. "

I don't think the IATSE contracts we typically work under could or would provide the contract work (permanent employment) you seem to be seeking for a VISA.

The unions to check would be IBEW (local 45)http://www.ibew45.org/ and NABET/CWA, www.nabetcwa.org as these have contracts with employers who hire FT staff positions. Sadly, I cannot tell you prospects are high, as our USA unemployment is high, and Spanish is the desirable additional language.

There is plenty of work in Europe and you have the luxury to work in any European Union country.

Do you speak German?

If you are thinking North America, Canada is a lot easier then the USA as far as immigration policy.

In the states the only way is marring a US citizen. Or to play the Green Card lottery.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1318.html

" To give me information about union contracts and rates in USA. "

I don't think the IATSE contracts we typically work under could or would provide the contract work (permanent employment) you seem to be seeking for a VISA.

The unions to check would be IBEW (local 45)http://www.ibew45.org/ and NABET/CWA, www.nabetcwa.org as these have contracts with employers who hire FT staff positions. Sadly, I cannot tell you prospects are high, as our USA unemployment is high, and Spanish is the desirable additional language.

Senator thank you for information about IBEW, NABET/CWA and IATSE. I will send email to IBEW, NABET/CWA and IATSE for general informations. But if I have invite from one company to work what's the problem for my visa? If I don't have invite from employer or company for work I can't get my visa.

Second about unemployment in USA. I know. It's very hard for US citizens and thats why I don't want to be weight for one country. But if the US labor in sound it's better from me of course it's the first choice for the US employer. That's true. So I'm not searching to become audio supervisor in CBS but as assistant first.

Thank you again!

There is plenty of work in Europe and you have the luxury to work in any European Union country.

Do you speak German?

If you are thinking North America, Canada is a lot easier then the USA as far as immigration policy.

In the states the only way is marring a US citizen. Or to play the Green Card lottery.

http://travel.state....types_1318.html

Rado thank you! Yes I have to luxury to work in EU without visas etc etc but personally I have my issues about economical balance for European Union and the currency. Nope I don't speak German. I have try to learn one time but for my tongue it's hard language. :)

Yes German they have good work oppurtunities but my problem with Germany is I don't speak the German language. For sure I don't have political, economical or other things issues like other Greek people.

Why search work outside from EU? Because I don't feel stability inside the EU boardes for my future. Work and life future.

I believe that it would very tough to get a work visa to legally enter and work in the US. If I were in your shoes my choices would be the UK (EU country, no visa requirements) or Australia (still welcoming to qualified immigrants and has a history of welcoming Greek immigrants so there might be a support system of fellow Greek ex-pats). The bonus being that you already handle English well.

In my opinions it is very diffcult to work, not to say impossible, in the states if you don't have a greencard.

But as you are a Euro citizen all European Schengen's countries are open to you.

But the markets are not so easy, and speaking the local language is required.

Not so simple. If you choose France, let me know.

" impossible, in the states if you don't have a greencard. "

or one of the special visa's that allow work or/and employment. For that information, you have to go to the USA Department of State, and such information is typically available by visiting the USA Embassy (sort of <cap>)

I think it would be best to start on that side (the immigration information) and then knowing exactly what is needed, you could look into jobs; I'm certain most potential employers will ask you first about your immigration status.

I believe that it would very tough to get a work visa to legally enter and work in the US. If I were in your shoes my choices would be the UK (EU country, no visa requirements) or Australia (still welcoming to qualified immigrants and has a history of welcoming Greek immigrants so there might be a support system of fellow Greek ex-pats). The bonus being that you already handle English well.

Jim I have a close family relatives (aunts of my father) in Australia and is my first choice because they have history of Greek immigrants. In my (future) visa now complete the "score" (60) if I have invite from employer to work (I have points for my age, bachelor degree etc). I'm talking for Australia. I think it's more easy for me to find a job in AU more than New Zealand or USA. Yes Rob Stalder spoke to me and say "Australia is not the Milk & Honey" country. I know guys. All countries they have problems.

For sure I don't want to be a rich. If I have a job to pay my personal costs, to pay my bills easy I'm happy with this.

:)

In my opinions it is very diffcult to work, not to say impossible, in the states if you don't have a greencard.

But as you are a Euro citizen all European Schengen's countries are open to you.

But the markets are not so easy, and speaking the local language is required.

Not so simple. If you choose France, let me know.

For sure VM. It's not easy to find a job in USA. Of course the greencard it's necessary to live in USA. I know EU it's open for me. But France it's too expensive if you don't have secure job with good monthly salary. And if I don't have a good job. What? Again the same things and situations like a Greece? I'm not talking especially for FR. But worldwide. It's not easy to start the life from 0. For sure!

Spanish and French languages sounds good to my ears! :)

" impossible, in the states if you don't have a greencard. "

or one of the special visa's that allow work or/and employment. For that information, you have to go to the USA Department of State, and such information is typically available by visiting the USA Embassy (sort of <cap>)

I think it would be best to start on that side (the immigration information) and then knowing exactly what is needed, you could look into jobs; I'm certain most potential employers will ask you first about your immigration status.

Yes next week I go to USA Embassy at Thessaloniki and collect informations about special visas, greencards etc. But the topic is not for this. I can find this informations from embassies. My problem is where to find informations about companies (like a ABC SA from Greece).

Rob is correct that Australia is not the land of Milk and Honey, but there is an industry here albeit a small one. Sydney and Melbourne being the most prominent in our line of work.

Maybe family can help find work outside of the industry in order to get a visa. Then you could do some sound work on the side.

It is a hard road you have to walk. I remember when I moved to the other side of my country with no work contacts or friends. Scary at times, but I have no regrets.

If you do end up in Australia, please feel free to look me up. I am now based in Sydney.

Rob is correct that Australia is not the land of Milk and Honey, but there is an industry here albeit a small one. Sydney and Melbourne being the most prominent in our line of work.

Maybe family can help find work outside of the industry in order to get a visa. Then you could do some sound work on the side.

It is a hard road you have to walk. I remember when I moved to the other side of my country with no work contacts or friends. Scary at times, but I have no regrets.

If you do end up in Australia, please feel free to look me up. I am now based in Sydney.

Thank you for responce Nate!

Sydney and Melbourne it's the largest communities so they have more workflow. I'm looking for Perth in WA. The have 1.74 million population such as Thessaloniki (+ / -). I think Perth for my life it's the best choice but I don't know the workflow in this city.

It's hard road for me but it's hard to life in Greece when you are unemployment especially when you are live in Thessaloniki or Athens. It's not easy for sure.

For sure Nate if I'm coming to Australia I will call you! :)

Vasileios, Perth was the city I moved to on the other side and spent four years there. I have just recently returned to my home town Sydney.

I will PM you in the next couple of days about the work scene in Perth (hopefully others from WA can chime in).

If i Have neglected to PM you soon, please PM me. I can be slack when it comes to communication.

Cheers Nate.

Vasileios, Perth was the city I moved to on the other side and spent four years there. I have just recently returned to my home town Sydney.

I will PM you in the next couple of days about the work scene in Perth (hopefully others from WA can chime in).

If i Have neglected to PM you soon, please PM me. I can be slack when it comes to communication.

Cheers Nate.

Great! I will wait for PM.

Best Regards

Vasileios

" My problem is where to find informations about companies (like a ABC SA from Greece). "

there are numerous guides and periodicals ... sorry, but you will have to do the searching..

try some search terms like broadcasting networks cable broadcasters... and all the variations...

And I found some interesting opportunities in production mobile trucks. I have spend three hours to find two from this companies. And that's why I need help. If anyone who doesn't feel to help me for XYZ reason I can understand. :)

Good luck, Vasileios! Times are tough all over the world -- my friends and brothers at Technicolor in Rome are suffering quite a bit these days. It takes a lot to fight and scratch for work, but it is out there if you give it your best shot.

Thank you Marc! Italy has a little problem. It's a worldwide phenomenon finally.