Playback (sort of..)

John Steigerwald

What happens when you accidentally play back your 44.1k keyboard tracks at 48k?

Yikes! I wish it were that simple to figure out what happened. Listening to that track was one of the most bizarre experiences ever. I am not a big Van Halen fan by any means but I do like "Jump" and I have heard it performed beautifully in the past. Eddie Van Halen's guitar was out of control (and not in a good way).

-  JW

Holy CRAP!! that's painful -- literally!  It actually hurt my ears!

Sounds like the guitar tech didn't change the batteries in his tuner before he tuned the guitar -- job opening!

I don't know what I'm more amazed by: 1: the band doesn't try to stop the playback, 2: Eddie doesn't try to bend his way into being in tune with the playback, 3: the audience is oblivious and stands and cheers for this trainwreck.

Philip Perkins

Well, we are talking about Van Halen fans, keep in mind... oooooh, SNAP!  did I just say that!?

Actually I used to listen to Van Halen -- right up until about... oh, was it... '85?

Still like "Runnin' with the Devil" and "Jamie's Cryin'"... "Hot for Teacher"... they did have some pretty cool material for the day, but good lord! give it a rest already!  guys -- let this be a lesson to all of us -- invest now ... 401K's, stocks and bonds, anuity funds, whatever it takes cause the day will come when you just can't do it any longer (too bad old David Lee Roth doesn't have any hearing left -- maybe he could have landed a sound gig somewhere)

yeah,  embarassing.... yup

Guest afewmoreyears

Sounds funky to me, but after a few hundred concerts, one thing is true.....  People generally will stand and cheer at anything.....  Most folks, bless their hearts..... have no ear for audio.....

Ever wonder why people sit behind and to the side of the stage?  Enough said....

It's not what it appears to be at all.

What you're hearing is the result of someone deliberately overdubbing the out of tune keyboard part to the video footage so as to give the illusion that that is what the original performance sounded like. That's why it's so loud in the mix, it had to drown out the original keyboard part. And that's why no one did anything about it on stage and why the audience didn't react to it. It didn't happen during the show.

It's a hoax and you've just been punked.

It's not what it appears to be at all.

What you're hearing is the result of someone deliberately overdubbing the out of tune keyboard part to the video footage so as to give the illusion that that is what the original performance sounded like. That's why it's so loud in the mix, it had to drown out the original keyboard part. And that's why no one did anything about it on stage and why the audience didn't react to it. It didn't happen during the show.

It's a hoax and you've just been punked.

I'm not sure I buy that.

If anything, someone overdubbed Eddies guitar.  Watching that again, David seems to be in tune with the keyboards most of the time, tho it seems he's fighting a little here and there to try to match both keys and guitar.  It may not have been a playback issue, but something was definitely askew.

I was next to the guitar tech for the Police at Dodger stadium a couple of months ago and watched that guy sweat some serious bullets as the guitar effects board setup-large and complicated, went into failure mode for about 5 or 6 songs. What a slow painful trainwreck that was. We were documenting the show for Andy Summers and needless to say he was fuming and deservedly so.

I work on some projects where I have 1 chance and there is no space for failure, but to come apart in such a public way is the stuff of nightmares. I don't know the guy's name but my gut tightens up when I think of that show and my heart goes out to him.

The audio heard on the Van Halen could have been a different feed (Aux?) than the FOH to the PA. If something like that guitar kept coming out of the FOH speakers the mixer would be history as well as the guitar tech.

Scott Harber