dfisk

For the Whisky drinkers

24 posts in this topic

So, while we were at IBC, we were made aware of a really cool bar called the Whisky Cafe. They have over 1500 different bottles of Whisky on hand, plus lots of other stuff. If you are ever in Amsterdam, and you enjoy yourself a good whisky, check this place out. Here are two pictures.

post-321-0-02522500-1347646700.jpg

post-321-0-23116900-1347646713.jpg

Where would you even start?

I'd need at least a couple of days to get thorough 1500 whiskies!!

the staff there knows everything. We asked what we should start with, and they recommended good stuff.

There's a similar place in Brussels, Belgium. It's called Delirium Cafe and has 2500 different beers each 3 months. 200 on tap every day.

They have over 1500 different bottles of Whisky on hand

But do they have any whiskey?

Yes...and I've seen it spelled both ways.

My neighbour pulled out the most amazing scotch tonight. About 50 years old! Wow! What a surprise.

FWIW, the Americans and Irish usually spell it Whiskey, the Scots, Canadians, Japanese etc. spell it Whisky.

FWIW, the Americans and Irish usually spell it Whiskey, the Scots, Canadians, Japanese etc. spell it Whisky.

If you drink enough, youwon't be able to spell it at all

J.D.

When referring to the alcoholic spirit from Scotland, use the spelling whisky (plural whiskies). Whiskey, with an e (plural whiskeys), is the spelling used in Ireland and America.

However you spell it, this place was really cool, and I'm going back next year.

Here's a pic I snapped long ago of a nice Scotch collection. Not as impressive as that bar but respectable for a personal collection.

545968_10150630052565966_1187301846_n.jpg

Here's a pic I snapped long ago of a nice Scotch collection. Not as impressive as that bar but respectable for a personal collection.

545968_10150630052565966_1187301846_n.jp

Dear Santa...

Glad this has been resurrected!!

Found a great whisky when last in LA, called Mulholland. It's made in downtown LA and available directly from distillery or from K&L. It's 100 proof but drinks smoother than most standard 80 proof whisky. 

Also discovered Nikka Coffey Grain whisky from Japan. I have always liked Japanese whisky for its precision, but never its uniqueness. This is unique and lovely. 

My most dangerous discovery was the 12yr Red Breast Irish. It drinks like water. A lovely flavor (although a funny "nose") with the smoothest finish of any whisky I've ever had. 

You're welcome :-)

Wow..a whiskey thread? Okay: Palm Ridge Reserve. I have a bottle of it (gift from a job) I sip on infrequently (and alternatively gift my neighbor for riding mower repairs, as he won't take money). It's distinctive, regional (non-blended), and very smooth. The 'regional' part of it is: the casks are alternating staves of oak and citrus. The citrus is evident in the flavor, but not overwhelmingly. I never understood sipping whiskeys before this job. I learned that day.

A couple in Tavares, Florida made the micro-batch distillery from a horse stable. Each berth has a different part of the process. It was a bit lyrical, and like hanging out with Jack Daniels for a day. We sampled and sipped. Never a more mellow job. (pics borrowed from Southern Distilling News).

images-2.jpg

images.jpg

wait till you get AMRUT - Single Malt made in India... Will kick the butt out of many single malts. I too was surprised - an Indian Malt??? but - YES. 

On 9/15/2012 at 0:26 PM, Glen Trew said:

As long as they had Jack.

gt

GT, hope you are well my dear friend! Still remember that dinner i cooked for you and friends in LA... btw - your email address has been compromised and you need to get your TA internet team on to this, since i get spam from your email address regularly nowadays... heh

-vin

On 13 April 2017 at 11:11 AM, RPSharman said:

Glad this has been resurrected!!

Found a great whisky when last in LA, called Mulholland. It's made in downtown LA and available directly from distillery or from K&L. It's 100 proof but drinks smoother than most standard 80 proof whisky. 

Also discovered Nikka Coffey Grain whisky from Japan. I have always liked Japanese whisky for its precision, but never its uniqueness. This is unique and lovely. 

My most dangerous discovery was the 12yr Red Breast Irish. It drinks like water. A lovely flavor (although a funny "nose") with the smoothest finish of any whisky I've ever had. 

You're welcome :-)

80% & 100%. Wow! My wife bought me membership to the Whisky Society some years ago and we are offered bottles of rare malt whiskey. The strongest I've ever seen was 68%. The 40% which is the standard UK strength must be a bit of a let down for you Robert.

80 proof is 40% alcohol - anything above from that is better with a drop of water anyways

Yes, Malcolm. 80 proof is 40%, and is the standard. 100% would be poison!! 

Normally 100 proof (50%) requires a few drops of water, but the Mulholland does not. It's wonderful.  

On 7/1/2017 at 10:56 PM, RPSharman said:

Yes, Malcolm. 80 proof is 40%, and is the standard. 100% would be poison!! 

Normally 100 proof (50%) requires a few drops of water, but the Mulholland does not. It's wonderful.  

There's nothin' quite like the depth found in certain aged cask strengths - Coming to the bottom of a Adelphi Caol Illa -   outrageous stuff - too easy to drink