Sticky material for lav rig

BVS

Its then folded over on itself and a DPA windshield added.This is a mesh domed screen with the fluffy incorporated into it.

No Tom its more like the sort of sticky they use to attach CDs to a magazine you'd buy in a bookshop.

post-9-130815075656_thumb.jpg

The resin is stuck to just one side of the smooth neoprene.This rig works very well on all sorts of wardrobe and is fast to put on and take off.The cable microphonics are reduced by the neoprene and also gives you a solid attach point and base.The resin being very thin can be added to by putting on a fresh layer for each subsequent attachment.

post-9-13081507566_thumb.jpg

A closer shot of the resin tape.It is a Sellotape brand number 0485 made in England.

This is wonderful for sticking metal to metal or plastic as it is very aggressive.

To release a metal to metal grip just twist sideways.

post-9-130815075665_thumb.jpg

We used this stuff on Marc Pease Experience with Whit and Doug.  I think it was called Joe's Adhesive Tape or something like that.  We just called it Uncle Joe's snot.  I think Fergie at Cinepartners in Wilmington, NC is stocking this now.  A small hunk tucked inside the tie knot with the COS-11 kept it nice and secure. 

The fun part was putting needle nosed pliers up to the talents throat to extract the very sticky blob from the tie knot.

Jeff

This tape will stick to the skin and comes off ok.I'd probably go for topstick or transpore for 1st choice skin application.You can wrap it around capsules but you'll need to allow a little time to get it off.It sticks very aggressively to any metal or plastic which makes it great for place mic use.You only need a little of it but it is a stick once application.The neoprene rig with the DPA 4071 works because of this tape and its low profile and malleability.Its quiet!!

Brian

• 2 years later...
Guest Ken Mantlo

Close, It's "Joe's Sticky Stuff."

http://www.filmtools.com/jostst3.html

JB

Also known as clear butyl (packaged in a 400' film can).  Get some from your nearest on-set dresser, they usually have a shitload of it somewhere.

That reminds me of one of my favorite grip jokes...."How does a grip count?"..."One, two, shitload."

The resin is stuck to just one side of the smooth neoprene.This rig works very well on all sorts of wardrobe and is fast to put on and take off.The cable microphonics are reduced by the neoprene and also gives you a solid attach point and base.The resin being very thin can be added to by putting on a fresh layer for each subsequent attachment.

Do you ever have trouble with the folded over neoprene popping open?  Do you usually attach to the outer clothing, or does it go onto the undershirt if one is worn?

Bernie

Bernie,

It takes a lot to get the neoprene apart without tearing it...

I don't use it outside the clothes except on the inside wall of a jacket...

I place it inside the shirt with the sticky stuff attaching to the shirt. The smooth side can then move against the skin.

The thing that is good about the rig is you can drop the connector down the shirt and press the sticky to the shirt...and its all done in seconds....works in a lot of situations and you can add another layer of the sticky for the next rig.

BVS

Bernie,

It takes a lot to get the neoprene apart without tearing it...

I don't use it outside the clothes except on the inside wall of a jacket...

I place it inside the shirt with the sticky stuff attaching to the shirt. The smooth side can then move against the skin.

The thing that is good about the rig is you can drop the connector down the shirt and press the sticky to the shirt...and its all done in seconds....works in a lot of situations and you can add another layer of the sticky for the next rig.

BVS

Thanks!

As soon as I get some of that tape I'm going to give it a try!  My mics are Sonotrims so will have to modify it a bit perhaps.

Best

Bernie

• 2 months later...

I looked on the Joe website and found that the "Snot" tape is made about 4 miles away from my home here in the UK so it looks as though I've served a packet on shipping from the US.

Malcolm davies. A.m.p.s.

Would you mind sharing that location/company? I've bought it off TV and film retailers here in the UK for what struck me as hugely inflated prices...

• 3 weeks later...

<<The neoprene is cut to just over a 1 inch size and a loop made in the base of the DPA 4071 secured by the resin tape.>>

BVS... was wondering what good would a loop do if it was completely stuck in... Just wondering... :)

-vin

The idea of the loop Vin is to cut down the microphonic resonance in the cable...and thus less noise. A perfect example would be where you pinch the cable in your fingers at the base of the capsule.....it stops the microphonics instantly. I would love to hear if anyone has made any improvements to this rig.

BVS